The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review: Meant To Be - John Born's Book On The Any Card Any Number Plot (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Oops, I forgot to mention Mike Powers, too. Man that guy is way too smart.
family/magic/music/life
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Man! This is one deep book. A person could sit and ruminate for days (if not for weeks) just on "John's" 8 elements of great magic and the creative process necessary to create great magic. Very valuable material here. Ruthlessly applying these principles to your magic can't help but make you a better magician. John takes his magic very seriously--and, if only through this book, it shows.

This is not a book that is a light read whereby a brief "skim-through" will have you up and running. John's ACAN version was created as a result of an extensive list of serious "test conditions" attached to it (i.e., must be an absolutely free choice of both the card and the number, no stooges, no rough and smooth, no stripper deck--and about 10 other stringent conditions including using an ordinary deck of cards). Only after setting forth the conditions he wanted his effect to adhere to, did he begin creating his version of this effect. Lots of false starts and lots of trial and error occured as John began to create and shape his final version of this effect--and John briefly takes you through some of them.

With such strict test conditions, John's solution necessarily requires a very strict methodology and lots of practice to "get it right". This is serious stuff and will require serious practice. "No pain, no gain." But what a reward at the end of the rainbow. This is indeed the "test conditions" version of the ACAN effect.

Fortunately, John's detailed explanation helps make this journey as painless as possible. This is not a 30 page book of generalities that kicks you out the door and says "Sorry, you're on your own.". Rather, this is an extensive 328 page treatise on the one effect but with all the moves and methodologies explained in detail--and with many variations of the ACAN effect also explained.

One of the nice things I found about the book was that, because of John's extensive dissertation on his version of the effect and the blood, sweat and tears he shed while developing his version, I was able to begin to understand, appreciate and evaluate all of the other contibutors' included versions in a whole new light. I began to appreciate the trade-offs (the plusses and the minuses) of each version of this effect more clearly. So, even if you decide not to perform John's version, you'll be better able to make a more meaningful and informed choice as you pick one of the other versions that John has so graciously and extensively described in this book.

To call this a book, denigrates John's efforts here. This is truly a treatise of the first order and magnitude. An instant classic.

Way to go, John.

Mike

P.S. $55.00 plus S&H is an absolute steal for this book.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
mattH
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of mattH
Id like to add to the praise that this book is getting
its very nice quality and well worth the price
and the effects are outstanding
congratulations to Mr Borne on a work of love
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
Just received mine, also.
Can't wait to get stuck in.
Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Greetings again -

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments. Hopefully you have found some ideas and inspirations that you can put to use.

Just wanted to send out a reminder that I will be lecturing at the Minneapolis Close-Up Convention June 9th-11th, at LVMI (Vegas) June 11th-13th, and at the Las Vegas Gary Darwin club on June 14th - so I hope to see you there. If you can make it, please make it a point to introduce yourself and say hi.

John B. Born

Great to see all of you at the conventions this last week. What a blast. New reminder for lectures coming up the next couple of days in MA and CT...

Monday June 19, 7:00 PM
Extended lecture session
Camp Evergreen
166 Jenkins Rd
Andover, MA 01810

Tuseday June 20th 7:30
IBM Ring 122 Boston, Ma.
Magic Arts Studio (617) 926-3949
123 Spring St.
Watertown MA. 02472

Thursday, June 22nd 7:30
Wallingford YMCA
81 South Elm Street
Wallingford, CT 06492

Hope to see you there.

John B. Born
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
I apologize for yet another shameless plug...

However, I am excited to announce that this last weekend I used one of my versions of "Any card at any number" from the book Meant To Be to win first place at the International Brotherhood of Magicians Gold Cups competition.

John B. Born
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
792 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Congratulations!!!did you used anither version than the one you used at the last competiotion you won ??
MBrook3902
View Profile
Loyal user
Naples, FL & Hickory, NC
202 Posts

Profile of MBrook3902
As one of the competitors at the IBM close-up contest, I fell victim to John's brillant ACAN and his fantastic close-up rings routine. I also bought a copy of his book and I will 2nd the other opinions...it is great.
Congratulations, again, John for winning and your solid thinking behind your effects. It was a pleasure meeting you.

Millard Brooks (aka BILLY RAY)
It takes 4 to 6 minutes for the brain to die without oxygen. I can fix anything in that amount of time.
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Qkeli-

I used the same version I performed at the Magi-Fest competition.

Millard-

Thanks for the kind words. Great to meet you as well. Disappointed I didn't get to enjoy your Billy Ray act. Hopefully another time...

John B
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
I have just purchased John's book and I am looking forward of the book. Must be fantastic book of the year. Smile - Looking forward to read the book!

Andrew

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
777 Posts

Profile of Loz
I've just finished John's book. It has a hallowed place on my shelf. I loved it. It is one the finest magic books I have read in a long time. I will not give another review as others have already done a fine job.

I would just like to congratulate John on such a fine piece of work (and I look forward to more in the 'series' mentioned in the back - any clues what these will be on?) and encourage anyone looking for great writing, deep thinking, and *powerful* magic to get this book.

Lawrence
timofy
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of timofy
Their is now a review over at visions, 10/10.
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Thanks Timofy for the heads up. The review at online-visions.com can be found at

http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0609meantobe.html

Also - thanks Lawrence. Glad you enjoyed it. There is more to come.

The best,

John B. Born
Ruben Padilla
View Profile
Loyal user
Narrative Strategist
206 Posts

Profile of Ruben Padilla
Just got my copy today - ordered it a few days ago. Very fast service. The book looks really good. Can't wait to get into it. There's just something inspiring about a book that delves into one subject...it makes it more reverent somehow.

I'm confident there will be some great thoughts contained in these pages...

Ruben Padilla
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Hey guys...

I will be doing a lecture on Sept. 11th in Boston, MA for Sam 16. It takes places at the magic barn, and starts at 6:00. Directions can be found at http://www.sam16.com. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

The best,

John B. Born
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Does anyone do any of the versions in John Borns book? How attainable is it for an average magician? I've always stayed away from this effect because I found the calculations necessary showed my thinking. I love MD work but when you add some calculations it becomes difficult to do without showing your thinking.

The book sounds great and I love the effect but would only purchase it if it was an effect I thought I could actually do.

Thanks,

Steve
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I'd actually be interested in the answer to Steve's question too. I'm tempted...
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Hi Steve -

Though there are versions in the book that require mental math, there are many GREAT versions of ACAN as well as other effects in the book that are extremely practical and require minimum or no calculations at all. This includes the version I used to win the IBM Gold Cups competition this year. Hope this helps...

John B
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I'll add to the list of people saying that this is a very fine book. It is a great compendium of ACAN methods. Some of the methods I'd read before in their original places of publication, but it is still convenient to have them all grouped together like this. And there are many ACAN and related effects / methods described in this book that were totally new to me as well.

The book itself (paper, binding, cover) is of very high quality (at least in my opinion), and that impressed me from the start as soon as I saw the book.

I must say that the main method described in the book isn't really to my liking (as a performer, I mean), but it is still ingenious and well crafted and I've learned from it.

Highly recommended.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Hey guys...

Here are a few more lecture coming very soon…

Sept. 11th - Boston, MA for Sam 16. It takes places at the magic barn, and starts at 6:00. Directions can be found at http://www.sam16.com. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Sept. 12th – Binghampton, NY (Directions coming)

Sept. 14th – Bridgeport, CT for The New Magicians Association. The meeting hall is the GERMANIA-SCHWABEN HALL, 416 HORACE ST. BRIDGEPORT, CT.

Feel free to PM me with any questions…

The best,

John B. Born
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review: Meant To Be - John Born's Book On The Any Card Any Number Plot (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL