The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Doc Shiels Books (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Surfing the posts and I came accross a bunch about Doc Shiels books (Thirteen 13 and Something Strange, as well as one called Daemons, Darklings and Dopplegangers)...I think I NEED tham...
Anyone have a good source?
Gwyd
D Byrd
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
230 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
All of them are out of print (by many many years). Every once in a while you can catch one on e-bay. You can get The Sheils Effect. This is a DVD/Book combo. I sell them and so do many other shops.

Doug
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
Hey Gwyd, Quentin has just started posting on this forum - check out his post on Shiels earlier today.
Simon
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Try this source. They have MUCH Shiels and Cameron stuff:

http://www.theshielseffect.com/

Dave
aawb122pm
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of aawb122pm
"Magic books by post" in the UK still have copies of the Shiels books
Jim Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Jim Magus
I ordered Tony Shiels' Something Strange from a Genii ad when it first came out, found it to be a rule shattering book of wonderful and vastly different material. It changed my magical style and instilled in me an obsession with bizarre magick that remains to this day.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Awesome! Thanks guys...They'll be in my library soon!
Gwyd
charles schneider
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of charles schneider
It is SO wonderful that you can purchase the e-book of JABBERWOCKY from the above mentioned Mr. Reynolds for a mere $15. I have and am thrilled. Essential reading.

And most amazing, you can download all of Shiels WONDERFUL writings about the cups and balls for FREE, courtesy of the same fine fellow.

For:

The Expert Escamoteur's Equipment by Tony Shiels
An Exploration in Three Parts on various aspects of
Cups and Balls Conjuring

Go here NOW!

http://www.theshielseffect.com/Expert_Es......ent.html

If you love the bizarre........and the cups and balls fixate you, you will be most happy!

NOTE:

The Cups & Balls have been filling my twisted brain of late and I dream of Lovecraftian final loads which writhe and expand and warp. Oceans of blood spill from cups, spurt from wands, cups multiply....can be crushed. Cups and other objects could be Alchemically altered. From base metal or copper or Fruit we then CORRUPT the object, it decays, rots or rusts...this is then mutated into solid GOLD. But I digress.
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
For the sake of my collection..I'm missing the Cantrip Codex. Is it worth $150?
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2007-05-01 22:34, JAlenS wrote:
For the sake of my collection..I'm missing the Cantrip Codex. Is it worth $150?

Yes.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
I'd also suggest you ask Quentin for the entire back catalogue of Charles W Cameron's work - much in the same field as Shields (indeed they were buddies), and equally as essential. And still will probably cost under $100 for around 50 ideas/effects.
[
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Lmao
Thanks!!
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of 1908
I have Cantrip Codex in excellent condition with dust cover for sale for any serious bizzarist which he is missing it from his collection.
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
Harris0n
View Profile
Loyal user
leeds uk
290 Posts

Profile of Harris0n
The Cantrip Codex is my favourite and most treasured magic book. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
"There are times when the truth is necessary and times when myth-making is necessary." Nick Cave
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Recently I've had a good few enquiries about The Shiels Effect which has been out of print for nearly ten years. I've just reprinted a small quantity of The Shiels Effect and it still comes with the DVD, An Evening With 'Doc' Shiels. Murphy's now has them.

Murphy's also have a new Shiels book, Jabberwocky, The Lost Writings of Tony 'Doc' Shiels, consisting of a series of thirteen early articles, some unseen Shiels memorabilia, and routines that originally appeared in an early Invocation magazine. 72 pages, A4 size (letter size).
tvbuzz
View Profile
New user
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
57 Posts

Profile of tvbuzz
tvbuzz
View Profile
New user
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
57 Posts

Profile of tvbuzz
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Good timing. I was trying to hunt down a copy of the Shiels Effect the other week with no luck. Both have been ordered. Thank you.
Bob
Cartomancer54
View Profile
New user
Central Massachusetts
28 Posts

Profile of Cartomancer54
Amazing work, had been reading through Daemons, Darklings, and doppelgangers for the last few months.. Brilliant stuff.
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
262 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
And for the true Shiels collector is this somewhat obscure knowledge nugget:

Tony did the illustrations for my first book, "The Propshop: E-Z Tricks with Magical Accessories," back in 1975. The book is still available from many dealers. (BTW, you have to go to the title page to find my name as author. The cover lists me as "Mercurio," which was my stage name at the time.)

Doc was a good friend of Roy Fromer, who "edited" (i.e., retyped) my first two works.

--Brett
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Doc Shiels Books (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL