The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New to Grand Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Edsel Chiu
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong / Los Angeles
325 Posts

Profile of Edsel Chiu
I am really interested in Grand Illusion.

What would you recommand to me that just start to Grand Illusion.

How should I start?

Thanks a bunch in advance!
"If there is magic, let it be an art." - William Shakespeare
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Dear Edsel,

I think right now it depends on how much space you have to store the illusions. Also how much room you have to travell with them?

And of course another factor is Money.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Add to that: What illusions do you want to do?
Are they copyrighted to someone so that you would have to buy them, or are plans available for them and are you any good at making things or would you rather buy "off the peg" illusions.

A lot of money can be saved by building it yourself (Either form brought plans or inventing your very own illusion) BUT! you have to be good at the skills required to produce an illusion to a high standard. Boxes put together with 6 inch nails and painted with bright red household paint just won't do!

But in the end, it really does ALL come down to money: Equipment costs, storage costs, transport costs......... (Have I put you off yet? Smile )

AND THEN... Of course! There is the practice that is more important than anything to build a performance out of your bright red box.

:)
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I think a more important question is whether or not you're new to stage magic in general. If you already have a stage magic performance, it's not difficult to find a spot in your show where an illusion would be appropriate, then pick an illusion which fits into the theme of your show. As things keep moving along, add another illusion or two, and eventually you'll get where you want to be.

If you don't have a stage show together, I would advise to start with one- as buying or even building enough illusions to fill an entire show to start with would bankrupt most of the magicians here. Stick with the basics- linking rings, billiard balls, maybe even a zombie routine, and put an illusion or two into the mix, then work your way up like I described above.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I took my first steps with illusions about 4 or 5 years ago. I was developping a stage show and wanted to include an illusion to start the show, end the first half, start the second half and end the show.

I already had a basic suspension and decided to have this as my closer. I wanted an appearance as my opener so that I could introduce my assistant in this fashion. I ended up building a large, stage size square circle out of corplast. It looked great and did the job well.

To open the second half, I used a doll house illusion in a transformation sequence as a doll became a live person.

I ran out of money and space in the car at that point and decided on an illusionette to complete things. I already owned a Dante Sword Through Neck and decided to use that.

I think these were pretty good choices to start with as they were simple, practical and deceptive.

Since then I added a Shadow Tent and an Arabian Tent to my illusions and a Floating Table and Okito Production Screens to my illusionettes.

Start simple and build up and, as others have said, always keep in mind that you have to transport and store the illusions you buy.
Edsel Chiu
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong / Los Angeles
325 Posts

Profile of Edsel Chiu
I have not done any stage magic before.

But I wonder how hard is it to build the plans? Do I save a lot? Is it hard to find those materials? Maybe find it in Home Depot?

I want to perform grand illusion badly.

Thanks a bunch in advance!
"If there is magic, let it be an art." - William Shakespeare
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
I suggest you to turn a jet airplane (Boeing 747-400 for instance) into a duck Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Some illusions are fairly easy to build, things like victory cartons, arabian tent,etc. Others require a lot of welding, mechanical and woodworking skill. I used to do illusions years ago, got out of it, too expensive to maintain and haul around and always required assistants. It is a big time and money investment. Best thing to have to start out is a big bank account. Yet, like others in this thread have indicated it is not too difficult to basically have a stand up stage show and slowly begin to incorporate an illusion or two that fits ur act and which you can both afford and handle in terms of aquiring, moving about, setting up, and any needed assistants. I'd recommend getting something like Mark Wilson's three DVD series on Illusions. You can see a variety of illusions, some you can build fairly easily and inexpensively and go from there. There are many books and plans available. It all depends on your skills in a workshop. Many illusions will vary in their dimensions based on who you are using as an assistant. Most modern stage illusionists either get a life time contract with their assistant (marry her) or try to get illusions built for a standard size professional "dancer" so they don't have to build a new illusion if they need to change assistants.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
"Home Depot" - I'm not American and have no idea what I'm taking about...

But from what I have read on these forums: Home Depot IS YOUR FRIEND!

:lol:

Something called "Walmart" is also a magic shop! Smile

And don't get me started on Testors Dullcote as it we can't ship that here, but strangely, others can ?!?! - Surely illegal or legal? But no! just red tape!

Sometimes, this Café is funny from the outside of America.

:)
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
For beginning stage illusions that are cheap, pack flat and with the right performance can bring a BIG reaction, check out Andrew Mayne's books and illusion plans. I use a number of them, and they play well. All stuff you can make pretty quickly and with little expence. Try them before you go to big, huge costly illusions. Sort of a "Dip your toe" in approach before going whole hog.
If you would like to know which I would reccommend, or where to get them, PM me.
Gwyd
Mo Magic
View Profile
New user
South Africa
11 Posts

Profile of Mo Magic
Andrew maynes material is cool. That is a good start. I am also going through paul osbornes illusion works books to get an understanding of stage illusions. Check it out.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
If you do not have any stage experience, do not start by trying to put together a grand illusion show. You will be so overwhelmed with the technical needs of the show that your performance skills will suffer.

As several others have recommended, put together a solid 30-minute one person "club act" that can play anywhere. Then after you have some experience on stage, think about adding a two-person illusion to the show. Find a good dancer to help, and while you are at it, start taking all the dance and movement classes you can get. Get in shape, it's physical work.

Trouping with several illusions requires several people - two can do it, but it's hard. Having a third or fourth hand on stage, plus a tech person backstage, really takes the pressure off you so you can focus on your primary goal - entertaining the audience. Get a stage director and/or choreographer. Learn how to support one person with magic before you try to support a company, or you will lose your shirt.

Invest in the best quality equipment you can find. Sure you can knock together something in your basement or garage from workshop plans, but it will never compare to something built by one of the top illusion builders, and it probably won't stand up to the rigors of trouping. And you will sell it for pennies on the dollar a few year later when you decide it's too much work. While you are at it, get good road cases, a truck, and some lighting equipment and a good PA system.

Where are you going to perform? Theaters, schools, colleges? You will need to learn how to market and promote a show, putting bodies into seats. That's a whole other thread.

Regardless how many illusions you eventually put in your show, you will still need 20 to 30-minutes of solo material material to perform between the illusions, so work on that solo stage act first.

Please forgive me if I sound negative. I love grand illusion too. That's why I want you to have a clear vision and to understand what it takes to do a great job.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New to Grand Illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL