The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Lights, Camera, Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
what are your thoughts on the contents of the book "Lights, Camera, Magic"? Is the book worth purchasing?

thanks,
j
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
"Lights!, Cameras!, Magic! A Guide to Performing Magic on Television" by Dick and Virginia Williams

It is a book for anyone who wants to do magic for TV, but not limited to TV. Dick Williams lists 533 tricks he has done on TV and rates his top 200 tricks for TV and then categories his top 10 favorites and also many other tricks which really look outstanding on TV. Also he states the one's he would never do again on TV.

Top Ten Favorite (No Order):
  • Silk Appears in Knot Tied in Rope
  • Rabbit in Hat Puppet
  • Resistance Tests
  • Gozinta Boxes
  • Handkerchief Mouse
  • Handkerchief that Points
  • Glass of Water Production From a Paper Bag
  • Goldfish Caught in Bare Hands
  • Eggs to Glasses
  • Cut and Restored Rope

The book has a chapter on the TV Clown Magician and TV Weatherman Magician.

I really like this book and found it easy reading, interesting, never boring, and I got some great ideas from it. It includes numerous trick secrets and how to do them as well as numerous patter lines for your routines.

If you are ever considering doing magic on TV then this book is a must have. If you want to know a little about a lot of tricks to make some logical choices in your selection of magic tricks, you have an expert's opinion on them.

The book does deliver what is advertised on the back cover:

This book, by the performers who hold the record for the longest running weekly TV magic show, reveals the secrets of television success. The authors cover every aspect of performing a magic and variety show on television; they have held nothing back. This book contains 12 information-packed chapters, accompanied by 142 photographs, 22 line drawings, and eight pages of full-color photos. With this book you will find a step-by-step system to build your successful television career.

If any of the following appeals to you, then the book is worth the price.

• How to Sell a Magic Show to a TV Station
  • Sponsoring, Promoting, and Publicizing
  • Preparing the Weekly TV Show
  • Performing on Television
  • Puppets for the TV Show
  • The Magic Weatherman
  • The Best Magic for TV
  • Features and Themes
  • Original TV Tricks
  • The TV Clown
  • Scripting

I give it 5 Stars out of 5, if stage/palor magic is your thing. (Which is my thing.)
It is not for the close-up magician. There are some illusions and comments on those illusions. I don't agree with everything in that book. For instance, he rates Arnold Furst's "Yes" Game as one he would never do again on TV, and I really like that routine.
Dennis Michael
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Pretty much everyone can learn something from Dick Williams. Trust me, he's been around, A loooong time. He was the first magician I saw perform a live stage show, and I grew up watching "Magicland" each and every Sunday morning, brought to you by McDonalds... wow... guess I watched it TOO much. After his stage show, he took me and my performing partner (we were kids) to dinner. Very nice guy. Got to know him later, and was still impressed with his performing ability his personality and knowledge. Buy his books, his videos, heck, I even have a book of his from 1957 (I think) and learn from 'em.

Steve Thomas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Lights, Camera, Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL