The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The most perfect coin trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2653 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I was sitting working on my basics. Always the basics. And, for some reason I was suddenly engaged in attempting to think of the one coin routine that I had seen over the years that I thought was the most perfect, the most magical of all coin routines.

After a bit of thought I once again decided that it was a routine by David Roth. I was privledged years ago to spend a couple of nights at the Magic Castle when David was there for his first performing run. Here was the coin ledgend and a bunch of us went up to see him. He proved to be actually better than the hype. Although I saw him work three times I only remember one routine: The Tuning Fork. To this day, it remains the single best conceived and executed piece of coin magic I have witnessed.

Why is that? What struck me about it? The Finale. Here was a wizard that actually DID what a Wizard would do! He took sound and via the modality of some kind of otherworldly Alchemy David opened his hand and out came real money that I would have sworn was not there a moment ago. It is a conceptually perfect routine. There is even a kind odd sense to the whole thing. Sound captured in a glass is poured into a hand ... and ... then ... money magically appears.

There are also the props used. Even the props seem magical. A tuning fork has always seemed an arcane instrument to me. A glass to replace the beakers and flasks of a long gone laboratoria. The wizard himself impish and sure of his ability to fool us with all the 'dressing' that was used to lull us into thinking that he was a mere jongler from centuries past. Good, maybe even brilliant manipulations to throw us off. To fool us into thinking that he wasn't real, so that we wouldn't catch on until later: Mr Roth was the real deal. He could turn air into coin. This I think was Roth's real magic those nights. I was left for over 30 years with the conviction that real magic had happened.

Maybe you have a coin routine that has effected you in similar fashion and can explain why? What was it about it that made you feel magic took place. Real magic. What lasted with you? Best,
Brad Burt
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2728 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Wow Brad!

Both you and David have inspired me! Thanks for that.

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Quote:
On 2006-05-20 23:07, BradBurt wrote:
The Tuning Fork. To this day, it remains the single best conceived and executed piece of coin magic I have witnessed.

I have sumitted, in the past, that the Tuning Fork is the best close up trick I've ever seen. Beyond magic, somehow emotional, beautiful... Brad you are right as rain.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2653 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Frankm6:

Yes! The funny thing is this...I am positive that if I had first read the effect in a book I would NOT have realized how good the routine was. I mean break it down and basically it is this: Some coins appear in a magicians hand. But, like a lot of the best tricks in magic you have to SEE that bloody thing to appreciate just how good it is.

Another trick like this is somewhat more mundane, but illustrates this further: Quinella by Harry Loranye. This is nothing more than the old trick where a selected card turns instantly face up when the deck is dropped on to the table. The difference is that in Quinella it happens twice. This is one of those tricks that is almost over before you start and YET it just simply KILLS laymen! In fact the trick is so strong it is almost eerie to me to this day and I've been doing it for over 30 years. Two cards picked and put back in the deck. Cut the deck and let fall to table first card is there now face up. Repeat with other half of deck.

Who would have thought? I originally did it because frankly it seemed easy! I was just looking for a quick simple thing to add to my small bag of tricks.

To this day it seems the best things I do are some of the simplest. Peter Rabbit, Tenkai Pennies, Quinella. Don't you love magic? Best,
Brad Burt
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
Down the road a piece
4465 Posts

Profile of landmark
David Roth's Funnel has got to be my favorite coin routine! The final show of small coins turning back into normal size coins visibly is just stunning to me. A wonderful premise carried through to its (il)logical conclusion!

Jack Shalom
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"--Abraham Lincoln

You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
I agree about the tuning fork!...stone henge assembly...wild coin...the only routine of david roth's that is not very good is chink a chink, simply the most obvious mechanics...

dug
Deckless Wonder
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I think Paul Harris' Twilight has a lot of potential. The pure effect where the mirror-image becomes real (seen from the right angle) is Lewis Carroll at its best.
Paul's original routine does not fit my needs too good. But there are other possibilities.

Most magical experience I've ever had though remains Armando Lucero's Coin Menagerie. Describing it in words is completely useless. It has to be seen and be savoured.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The most perfect coin trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL