We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bending spoons.. Banachek dissapointment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Saqib
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Saqib
Hi everyone, I'm usually a 'lurker' and since there is so much already asked and answered... well I just search.

I typed in metal bending and there is a lot of stuff saying, 'Banachek is the best'

I have Psychokinetic Silveware and his Psi series... honestly I don't like his bends or most of his material in general. psychokinetic.. is not what I'm looking for, too much non-directness... moving and bending, misdirection and stuff. It may work for some people, but not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for just one spoon (or fork

If any of you know where I could learn this, it would be appreciated. The one bend I use now is called the mind bend where you have a spoon and as you display it you bend.. kinda corny, but yeah... I'll stop mumbling.
Help!
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
904 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Hi

There are numerous ways you can do that, with or without gimmicks.
I have been bending spoons for years.
I have over 30 on Psychokinesis DVD, videos, books, gimmicks.

Phil
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
11885 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Saqib:

The effect is one of the New Stars of Magic effects marketed in the 1980s. I think it was called Metalergy. (Sorry, it is late and my mind is a little foggy.) This one was also taught on a DVD, Get Bent DVD - Byrd & Coats.

There is another commercial effect that has the same appearence, Ereez Moshe's Perfect Bend, it is a little more high tech then the Metalergy.

Tony
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1054 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Actually I believe this is not Metalurgy but is Ereez Moshe's wonderful gimmick. If you look closely you can see the hand is completely empty.

Drawbacks, you can not hand the spoon out, you can not use any spoon you come upon and are handed and you can not have it examined prior,

However with a little thought one can bend the spoon and then have it break at the end, removing said gimmick so you can hand it out
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
904 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Hi,

I agree with Tony and Banachek.
It's a similar concept with Erez Moshe's Perfect Bend and the technique taught in Get Bent. And there are limitations.
I am not sure where the concept originated though.

But I personally prefer more impromptu bends, such as the ones in Banachek's great DVD Smile

Phil
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2448 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Banachek covers it ALL...so all your searches are correct Smile

I blow mind after mind at dinner time....

Thanx Banachek...
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Tony. You are thinking of Fred Baumann's "Metalogic". I posted a little background on the effect here. This piece does have some similarity to Metalogic; albeit antithetical in nature.

Hi Banachek. This may look like Moshe's effect at first glance, but I believe is more akin to Menny Lindenfeld's "Carpenter's Nightmare", or Guy Bavli's "Side Effect". With this in mind, the spoon can be handed out for examination, but as Phil mentions, is fairly angle sensitive during performance.

Saqib. Regarding Banachek's bends and videos. I might humbly suggest holding on the them and perhaps putting them aside for now. Tastes and ideas change over time. In a year or two, come back to them and you may discover a real treasure. I predict you will. Best of luck with your work.

Michael
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1157 Posts

Profile of r1z08
Saqib,
I have seen this type of bend in real life situations and can turn into a real nightmare if one does not know how to control his/her crowd. Very angle sensitive, not impromptu and not very practical. I could almost gaurantee you that if you were to discover the method behind this effect, you will be severly dissapointed. As Phil stated above, this is a nice bend for the camera, but is not so easily done in 3D.
Waldo
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Waldo
I love everything Banachek puts out! But honestly I spent a lot of money trying to learn the sleights involved in spoon bending through Banachek and Guy Balvali and it is very difficult to master. Still it is incredible when you can actually do it! I am a big fan of Banacheks Psychophysiological Thought Reading, and Psychological Subtleties more than his spoon bending. I couldn't explain the psychic impressions I was getting when I was just starting out as a cold reader, but now am almost convinced that I am getting information through non-contact muscle reading and the ideomotor effect. Just last week I was giving a reading to a lovely young woman, and predicted that her boyfriend was going to propose. I could read it directly from her face, and the last reading I had given her she said they had just broke up and I had spent time counseling her on how it wasn't over. Then the next day she came running down the street really excited yelling out, "He proposed! He proposed! You are a psychic!", and has been telling all of her friends about my abillities who have then been asking me for readings. If it weren't for banacheks books I might have doubted my instincts about the proposal, and would have read the tarot cards completely differently.

Banachek, I know you are busy. But I wanted to ask you if you could recommend any good material for me to look into. You mentioned Luke Jermay was one of your favorite authors, and I do loved reading his book 'building blocks'. I just don't use tricks at all, and am looking for more info on psychology which can be used in cold reading. (If you still want my Nitinol Forks I'll send them to you for free, because you are the best) They are really cool, but I've been sitting on them for years without preforming them. The OP asked about gimicked spoons that can bend on their own, and these forks do that great. But to the OP I wouldn't recommend buying them because of their price and the extra set-up required to work with them.

But you should still take a look at the forks advertisement:
http://www.hanklee.net/cgi-bin/quikstore......arch=yes
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Waldo, Banachek probably has the fork/spoons, send them to me instead, and I'll write you a lovely poem.

Corona
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
As I have always said:

"IF it were easy to do, everyone would be doing it..."
Waldo
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Waldo
It does seem odd that Banachek wants the spoons. He offered to pay me the $300 for them I was asking for. I actually didn't expect anyone to respond to me offer. My theory is that James Randi, Penn and Teller, and Banachek are collecting these spoons. They probably already have some that are custom made to bend every concievable way you can imagine, and want as many as they can get to promote their orginization. Randi got famous exposing spoon bending. For all I know they are planning a big spoon bending party, and will bend dozens of them in spectators hands at one of their conventions.
therapysessions
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
41 Posts

Profile of therapysessions
Quote:
On 2006-05-23 14:59, Scott Xavier wrote:
As I have always said:

"IF it were easy to do, everyone would be doing it..."

exactly. To quote Bob Cassidy, as quoted by Ken Weber in the great book "Maximum Entertainment"

"..you can come to the realization that the hard way is actually the easy way"

I do was disappointed when I finally got material on how to lear spoon bending. I wanted something that I didn't have to misdirect and bring out out in the open and contemplated getting gimmicked versions.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but then I thought back when I was first shown a spoon bend and remembered that feeling of seeing it in person with no ideas as to how it was done (and upon seeing my first vide on spoon spending I was floored by how "simple" it all was)

I do not mean to regurgitate things people have said, but I just want to point out that even though a gimmick version seems ideal now, there are a whole new set of problems you must deal with that to me is not worth it. The principles of metal bending, the workings, all magicians should learn (misdirection, pace..etc). I think you are doing yourself a disservice by skipping over "traditional" methods and looking for a quick open way of doing it.

While you're at it, I think you should pick up Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber, honestly changed my way of thinking as a magician (and even outside my magic life)
Frank Starsini
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
12535 Posts

Profile of Frank Starsini
The nice thing about the traditional methods is that it the method itself is the basis for becoming a great magician.

Many ignore the fact (or haven't learned) that "misdirection is magic". Maybe to you, it was a top change, but with proper misdirection, it's pure magic. And for one reason. Becuase you did nothing. Your hands never came together. Yet the card changed.

When you feel comfortable with this it opens up a whole new world. Everything becomes easier. (as stated in the post above)

Your classic pass is truly invisible
Your cards change at your fingertips.
Your spoon bend is now happening right before their eyes
Salt shakers go right thru tables.
Paper balls vanish.
Dice disappear right from your hand that does nothing more than close and re-open.
A coin appears on your shoulder.
Things appear and disappear at will.

and you're doing NOTHING yet all this is happening.
... and everything is examinable.
... and everything is so much easier (as stated in the post above)

If you really like metal bending, what a great way to study timing, misdirection, changing the moment, et al.

Even if you use Gaffus, you still need to master these items to acquire, ditch, and use the gaffus. There are no shortcuts. Video clips get to stop. Spectators don't have a stop button.

The banachek offering also has one of the strongest items. The twist.
Even if someone did suspect "something", that one cannot be traced back
to a move. Nobody can TWIST the head of a spoon around.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic

Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
In addition, I happen to like the routine on the DVD, liquid Metal. A very direct one fork routine. The work is still built on the basics as taught by Banachek. Richard Osterlind has a very cool bend on his mind Mysteries too DVD series. Remember that people like Banachek and Osterlind perform for real paying people.

Michael
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3673 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Dear Michael so does Morgan.
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
904 Posts

Profile of Phil C
I agree with you guys.
I started metal bending a few years back.
I remember when I started, I got the several DVDs a was a little disappointed with them.
Then I start getting all the gimmicks available. Then I was even more disappointed.
Then I went back to the impromptu methods taught in books and DVDs.
Since then, all I got was excellent reactions. And I never stopped perfecting my metal bending "skills". So I stopped doing routines and just continued to develop metal bending skills.
All of my gimmicks are all in my drawer now. Actually some of the methods in the gimmicks are quite clever and can be modified to suite impromptu situations.
But if I were to just use those gimmick bends, I guess it will only be for my promotional video or something Smile
Saqib
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Saqib
Thanks everyone for replying to my post!
Ive done more 'research' after reading all of this. Banachek just replied to one of my posts!!!!
Okay, I will give his video another whirl and well, I'll actually try it out on my sister or something to see how it is. I didn't mean any disrespect in my post btw, its just that this is my first step into Mentalism was your videos and when I say "not impressed" well, I meant the secrets of mentalism; I thought would be very complexed (I'm a card/coin guy), but was dissapointed to learn that somethings are as simple as palming and reading. I guess I just thought people could harness their 'chi' and bend things Smile
Magical Lady
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Magical Lady
Hi Saqib,

I'm sure I am correct in saying no-one will have taken your post to have been intended as disrespectful! If you don't ask - you don't learn - and your posting sparked off a discussion which was not only it seems helpful for YOU, but was of interest to others too - which is after all what the Café is all about -Magicians helping Magicians! *smile*

As for Banachek himself responding to your post? That doesn't surprise me one bit. I am a complete and utter nobody in the world of Magic and Mentalism, and yet in the correspondence I have had with him, he has always come across as very genuine indeed and has always been kind enough to afford me the courtesy of a response which has been both friendly and warm - even when pressed for time in the midst of a hugely busy schedule!

You started this thread saying you didn't think Banachek's work was for you? Well you ended the thread saying you will give his video another whirl - that's a pretty good result don't you think? So not only has the thread been interesting - it's also been productive!

I for one look forward to another post from you later - saying how you got on!! Smile

Best,

*Magical Lady*
BMichael
View Profile
New user
Germany & Mistelbach, Austria
5 Posts

Profile of BMichael
Hi,

I started to do mentalism about a year ago, so I am a beginnre with quite some first experiences, though this is my first post here on this wonderful forum.

I fully agree with all the above. My first sources for mentalism have been Osterlind and Banachek (aside from the classic books) and especially on metal bending I loved Banacheks DVD much.

In my opinion they give you a full insight into this topic and you really experience first successes quite fast.

Michael
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Inner circle
The frosty North
9323 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Banachek is a demigod...perhaps a god.... just learning the tyne bend alone is pure gold.... from the metal benders anonymous thread... I am cursed to constantly check out silverware everytime I see some in any location to try finding a way to bend spoons and forks... and it all started with Banachek's material... plus the two spoon bend in one hand on Psi series 4...so simple and so mind frying....

Its all in the confidence belief you can pull it off - and some practice of course...and wowsa...
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"

www.carcosa-collection.com
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
904 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Yup!
It's back to the same old PRESENTATION topic.
It doesn't matter what the effect is or how simple the method is.
It's how you perform it, how you portray you character and how you involve the audience's experience Smile

I remember when I first saw the methods of metal bending. I was like "What? That's it?"

But now when I do it to people, they are like "......."
Well, you know, totally speechless Smile
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2751 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Before I saw Banachek's video a few years ago, I didn't bend spoons or forks. I started performing the bends casually as described. I'm often more bold because I have the opportunity to be so (you benders will know what I mean) I don't bend any other way. It's the Banachek way for me!
Coming Soon ... GAN JUE - Impressively Real Routines For Psychic Entertainers

Former PEA member

Mystic
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
In adition, THe spoon bend on Richard's MM Too series was mind blowing to watch. The spoon appears to bend while resting on his open palm.

Michael
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Inner circle
The frosty North
9323 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Yeah - I love doing optical bends a lot - I'm many of us are carrying around prepared quarters for the ol melting/bending over coin shtick as well... and no matter how simple the method is... with the right presenation angle - its still "WTF"...
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"

www.carcosa-collection.com
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1054 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Thanks for the kind words guys,

Two things of clarification, my post in response was not to change "saquib" or "Waldo's" mind. Not all methods and presentations are for everyone, I don't expect everyone to like my work, we are individuals, we all have different styles and that is a good thing. Much better than having everyone like what I have to offer. Differences spark new thought, and new thoughts spark new ideas and this is where we find real miracles.

And as for the forks, well I was hoping to purchase them for a friend. Seems another friend wants them too. That is also a good thing as Martha Stewart would say.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of ventman
I use Banacheck's version and it blows them away. A few years back I did this for a top real estate broker and his wife who is an archetect for the military - very intelligent people. I was at dinner with them and used their own utensils. The guy was so impressed that he copped the utensil and flew back to his office, framed it for his office and still talks about it to this day. Fabulous!
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3471 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
When starting out with Metal Bending, may I suggest, Saqib, to keep it very simple until you are more confident and skilled in this area . . .

For a time, I used just one spoon and one fork. I did Banachek's tine bend first and then a variation of Guy Bavli's "Power of Gravity" and that was it!
I supplied my own metal (when I could) and simply stated that I could do it with any spoon, fork, knife, key, coin, etc., but that THESE have rested in a bowl of sea salt with crystals in order to better absorb my "energies".

Nobody questioned it and I grew and grew in skill and confidence. Slowly I began to add more pieces and different bends. I did the same "pet routine" for years and then began to create my own bends.

Please don't disregard Banachek's work. It IS the best out there, IMHO.
I see people jumping on the Metal Bending band-wagon and failing miserably because they do not take the time and/or effort involved to do it well.
Go s-l-o-w, you are not going to become proficient overnight.

Hope this can assist you well,
Jerome.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
904 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Very true.
And with most mentalism effects the 'method' is usually simple or even disappointing for someone new to the field.
But when presented well, these effects can be so powerful that people beliefs can be shaken. In some cases, religions can be started!

Phil
Castle2369
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston, MA
207 Posts

Profile of Castle2369
I enjoy many style of metal bending, but I prefer most the PK Silverware routine on Banachek's (DVD) it's the very best of the best when it comes to the psychology, and subtleties which are really needed for pulling-off these type of demonstrations. I would deffinately recommend to pick-up a copy of Psychokinetic Silverware (DVD) By Gerry & Banachek, this material is very strong.

Cheers,

-Erick Castle
Creator of the Gallerian Bend
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bending spoons.. Banachek dissapointment (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.419222 seconds, requiring 86 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [7] [1] [5] [2] [4] [0] [6]