The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Cardtoon 1 or 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Binary
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Binary
Out of them all, I would go for cardtoon one. I thaught it was a lot more clear than 2, and I haven't had farttoon.

I will probably make my own version in the summer, as I used to animate a lot. it would give it that personal touch too Smile
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2006-05-25 15:37, professorwhut wrote:
I have Cartoon 1 and 2,
I like Cartoon 1 better.

Same here.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
242 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
I only own Cardtoon 1, but I can't imagine there is a huge difference in audience reaction between 1 and 2. If you'd like the card pulled out of a hat, then go with 1. If you'd like the cannon animation go with 2. The ads say version 2 is simplified, but honestly, there is nothing hard about version 1, so again, I just can't imagine the benefit of one over another. Pick for the picture you like. Practice, and both will be equally entertaining for your audience.

Chris
Binary
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Binary
Quote:
On 2006-05-27 21:35, Magical_Mystifier wrote:
I only own Cardtoon 1, but I can't imagine there is a huge difference in audience reaction between 1 and 2. If you'd like the card pulled out of a hat, then go with 1. If you'd like the cannon animation go with 2. The ads say version 2 is simplified, but honestly, there is nothing hard about version 1, so again, I just can't imagine the benefit of one over another. Pick for the picture you like. Practice, and both will be equally entertaining for your audience.

Chris
I think the problem with cardtoon 2 was that none of the animation was very clear.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I have both versions and like number 1 the best. To me, both animations are clear but version one is more understandable for most audiences. People are used to magicians pulling things out of hats. The handling is the same for both versions so it really doesn't matter which you get.
Midwest_Magicians
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Midwest_Magicians
Personally, I prefer Cardtoon 1 because of the fact that he pulls the card out of his hat. Although I suppose Cardtoon 2 and Fart-toon would be funny if your going for a comedy magician routine.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I saw Dan Harlan perform "Fartoon" using a big screen projector at a convention and everybody loved it. For the right crowd, it's a killer. But, IMO, Cardtoon 1 is still the best.

Robert
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I highly recommend that you look up the effect called Animator. It's by David Harkey. It can be found in his book, "Simply Harkey". It's a phenonenally better effect than Cardtoon.

You show a deck of cards - faces all different, backs all clean - and have one selected, noted, and returned to the deck. You proceed to draw a stick figure holding a paintbrush on the back of the top card. Then, as you flip the deck like the pages of a book, the stickman comes to life, animating as he seemingly sinks into the deck, and drawing an "X" with his paintbrush.
Once he has stopped and is leaning confidently against his "X", you remove that card. It is the selected card, with the stickman drawing permanently on the back. You can give this to the spectator to keep.
The backs of all the other cards are immediately shown to be clean and ordinary.
It's all in the reflexes.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Then there are also The Animated deck (Harlan - Tenyo) and Toony Angel (Maxwell)
Yours,

Ivan
elbruno
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of elbruno
Fart-toon is no longer available. From what I understand, they only printed a limited number of these decks and have issued no more. I have it and really enjoy performing for my sick friends! If you're performing for a more refined crowd, Card-toon 1 is the way to go, as it is easier to follow. (Fart-toon is easy to follow, too!)

I have Toony-Angel, and, while cute, I don't think it has the impact of the Harlan versions.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
For a version more aimed at women the Tenyo version with the moving fairy is quite good.
magiczim
View Profile
New user
Philly
67 Posts

Profile of magiczim
I only own 1, but I have seen 2. I enjoy 1 better.

I have seen other versions that use the back and the angels to get the selected card that look good too, but card-toon 1, by far, gets the best reactions.

_Zim
"We live within the recreation of others" - René Lavand
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
Personally I like Cardtoon 1...the stick man pulls the selection out of the hat...how charming...though not mentioned, some more naturalist may like Toonie Angel by Mike Maxwell (I think)...in it the Angel on the back of the card produces the selection from the spokes of the bicycle he is riding...with a deck switch, this could be pretty cool...the principle of the trick is the same as cardtoon and all its sequels...
WillyWombat
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of WillyWombat
To get the best out of this trick, the Cardtoon video is a must. After the release of cardtoon 1, Dan came up with a revised and more fluid handling of the cards. (This is the one you get with cardtoon 2). The video also has different handlings from other magicians and tips on how to make your own gaffs for different endings.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I believe the origional anamated deck was FiFi, which featured an anamated poodle. Abbott's doesn't remember this deck, and Dan says he never heard of it.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
This stick-man version of Dan's came onto the market (suspiciously) not too long after the publishing of "Simply Harkey" which includes the effect "Animator", mentioned in my post above.

Cardtoon is simply an inferior lift of that excellent trick.
It's all in the reflexes.
bentley
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of bentley
I like cardtoon 1 better and this is from a spectator point of view.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I have Cardtoon 1 and love it. I also bought the same deck of playing cards (without the stickman) and produced a second Cardtoon for handout!!!

So if you do a deck switch and leave it on the table...
Let the spectator riffle through the cards and NOTHING happens as every card has the same printing (1st animation frame) on it. ;-)

This works really cool for me.

Christian
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
cajmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, California
235 Posts

Profile of cajmagic
Great idea!!
Caj Brejtfus
CajMagic and the CAJ Deck of Magic Gaff Cards
:BIKES:
gaafman
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of gaafman
Yeah, but must have invested quite some manual labour hours in that one. Probably couldn't stand a stickman for a whole month ;-)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Cardtoon 1 or 2 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL