The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Black Widow (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11..16..21..26..31..32~33~34 [Next]
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
This just in.

I just got off the phone with Phil and http://www.kwmagic.com and it is a go. He has the LONG AWAITED Black Widow in stock and ready to ship. I forgot to ask how many he had, because his phone was ringing off the hook he had to let me go. Visit his site, and contact him if you want to be one of the first world wide to purchase this amazing piece of magic history.
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
"...amazing piece of magic history"? Oy vey.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I agree steve that was alittle over the top. or "oy vey"!

Now we can wait for a real review. I cant wait!
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
Just a tad, besides I'm sure they here been a few pre ordered. I t will be nice ti finally hear something from a real purchaser. Oh Steve, I love the Oy Vey.

Jeff
ruijorge
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of ruijorge
I have pre-ordered the BW about 2 weeks ago, which means that my unit will leave tommorow.

As soon as I get it I will review it for you guys.

Regards
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Okay friends, here is my review on the long awaited Black Widow. I am a professional Magician in Ontario Canada. I have used the Black Widow in my performances, and on the street. I spent a lot of time writing this review, civering all the angles, and trying to be as detailed as I can without getting into exposure. So here it is!!!!

Well here is the long awaited review of the Black Widow. First, the short version:

I love my dog, but I love the BlackWidow even more.

Okay..that’s the basic review. Now for a few details:

Black Widow Device: This amazingly engineered device should last a life time unless you sit on it or something. All needed items come with the unit. The mechanism is extremely well crafted, very sturdy, and makes no sounds when activated. There are no batteries used, so the Black Widow will always work when needed. There is an easy one time adjustment that takes about six minutes…to properly adjust the device so it fits the user. You don’t have to bend anything or change the gimmick..its sort of like adjusting a seat belt. There is nothing attatched to your sleeve or any part of your shirt/jacket. There’s even a simple way to slide up your sleeve about six inches to show nothing’s there. By the way..your cuff does not have to be super close to your hand like in the demo. You can have a good two inches of bare wrist showing from the edge of your cuff.

Hooking-up the Black Widow before you go out to your show takes maybe ten seconds. An excellent feature allows the device to be made dormant until needed, so you can go in and out of card tricks, mentalism and any other type of non Black Widow magic you need to perform. You can activate or “turn off” the black widow in a few seconds with just a click.

The Black Widow has a unique mechanism and action that has never been used before. The device is activated by natural movements from the performer, no jittery of uncomfortable moves. It is also comfortable to wear and once you get use to it you will act as if it is apart of your body. It flawlessly does everything shown in the on line demo. The device automatically resets to it’s hidden positon when you move your arm back. So it’s always ready for action.

Getting Use To Your New Arm: As Darryl says in the dvd it is like learning to live with 3 arms because you can always bring a 3rd arm in and out of play in a second. It does take some getting use to, and you should not perform for people with this until it becomes second nature. The device is activated by natural body movement, so you will have to be aware of your arm movements. Again,..you can easily turn off the device when ever you want so you can freely move around during the rest of your performance. Activating the Black Widow is basically automatic. You just move your hand forward. But you have to put in some practice just to get used to the idea of having a secret “third arm” that appears and disappears when you move your arm.

The Price: I feel once you see what you are getting and the reactions that this device gets, you will be thankful it is priced at around $250.00 US. The device is defiantly much more exciting and ingenious than I expected. It is crafted from top notch materials and has a very professional look to it. It is sad to say, but I am glad the Black Widow is priced the way it is. It will only be used in the hands of magicians not myth busters. Remember you are getting a top notch device that does all your dirty work for you.

DVD and Teaching: Again, no stone is left un-turned. The dvd gives clear and precise instruction on hook up, settings, adjustments, performance tips, shimmed and non shimmed tricks, how to make things vanish , reappear, transform etc. Tech support via a Black Widow official site where all your questions will be answered and new effects and ideas will be posted.

Angles I have no concern of flashing. I simply get them in close so they are looking right down on their hands when the magic happens. Also when you see the device and have it PROPERLY hooked up it will be impossible to flash unless you’re really not paying attention. Just be aware of your environment and make sure no one’s looking up from below at the underside of your arm. The closer spectators are the better. When you bring them in close they always comment “wow you did that right in front of me”

It is rare that I review a product that is a 10 out of 10. So I guess this is one of those rare times.

Let me put it this way. Let’s say an average magician is at a party with the blackwidow competing with just about any world class sleight of hand guy who was doing “normal” high-end sleight of hand stuff”. If the two magicians were being judge just on pure raw astonishment power, the guy with the black widow is going to take the prize almost every time.

Jeremy Hanrahan.

Hamilton, Canada
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
Jeremy how long have you had this, I thought they just came in yesterday. If you have had it awhile how long and how were you able to obtain one before anyone else. I am confused but it sounds loke you have had this for some time if you have been using it your shows.

Jeff

Posted: Jul 12, 2006 7:04pm
Jeremy your previous posts and this one just don't jibe, what's up?

Posted: Jul 12, 2006 7:10pm
Is it just me or does something smell fishy.

Jeff
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
From previous posts, Jeremy is a frequenter of the shop where Darryl, the creator hangs out, and is one of the few people who got his hands on a unit early. I do not believe he is a dealer or that he has any finanical stake in the BW, he just happens to be in the same proximity as the guy who made it, and got himself a bit of a sneak peek.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Btw:

Quote:
Let me put it this way. Let’s say an average magician is at a party with the blackwidow competing with just about any world class sleight of hand guy who was doing “normal” high-end sleight of hand stuff”. If the two magicians were being judge just on pure raw astonishment power, the guy with the black widow is going to take the prize almost every time.

And what happens when someone at the party says "Hey can you do that without your sleeves?"

So you are talking world class magician vs. average guy with a gimick and saying the average guy comes out ahead? I've *seen* world class guys out perform average people with gimicks with nothing but FingerPalm and a borrowed coin...

I also am a bit miffed at:

Quote:
The Black Widow has a unique mechanism and action that has never been used before.

How much of a magic historian are you exactly? You've seen *every* mechanism and action in magic for all of history?

I try to stay out of hype threads but come on.....
ruijorge
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of ruijorge
PEOPLE,

Actually Jeremy has the BW for some time, since he is a close friend of the creator.

That is why he gave a review.

If you go to the BW forum at http://www.kwmagic.com/phpbb/ you may clearly see that he has the BW for some time. He even is the moderator of the secret part of the BW.

SO.... the review he gave is from a person who already had a lot of experience with the product.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Thanks for the review. I enjoyed reading it. Though it seems the "dogs" have been released.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I am not nearly the expert as many people here, but this thing sounds and looks utterly incredible to me. Doing magic in the hands of the spectator is always some of the hardest hitting types of close-up magic there is, and the Black Widow appears to take the possibilities of this type of magic to an entirely new level.

I agree that having to wear sleeves is unfortunate, but it sounds like you have more flexibility than you would with something like the M5. I try to avoid sleeves altogether these days, but I think it would be worth it to be able to do the effects possible with the BW.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Irish, thanks for that wonderful review! I'm anticipating the arival of mine so much I can barely stand it.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I find it funny that everyone wants a review and the second a review is given everyone attacks the guy. Nice work!!!

As for the sleeves.. I wear long sleeves everyday, so that would never be my issue. I am looking forward to getting this!
CoinMan21
View Profile
Elite user
China
442 Posts

Profile of CoinMan21
So do you guys prefer not to have reviews?

Geez, give Jeremy a break. It's just a review. If you choose not to believe it, so be it.
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Hello all. Please do not make this be a place were most of you defend me or my review.This is, or so I thought a place were people discussed magic. I will try and respond to the positive posts and pm's as soon as I get them. You must understand I have released the review on lots of other sites, and all the other sites have responded positivly. Lets face it guys, the only reason why people lash out is either because they just don't like the product, or they are unable at the present time to get one of the limited ammount. As for the post were someone asked what I would do if someone asked me to take off my jacket, I would do so then go into a non gaffed Invisable Palm followed by a non gaffed NFW, or something a little more difficult( I say this as I am Laughing, please do not think I am being cocky) Well friends, talk to SOME of you soon.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
My response to the jacket comment would be this. Have a little spectator management. Easy huh.?.?.?.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Although I appreciate reading a review here, let's face it, it cannot really be viewed (by me) as an objective one, not because I think you're BSing, Irishghost, but because you are friends with the creator of the product. Thanks for the review, but I would love to hear from someone without some connection to anyone who had anything to do with it's creation or release.

Sincerely,

Kaylan
sailorphil
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of sailorphil
Hello

I have to be carefull of what I say as my avatar and messages have mostly been deleted !

For the record - Jeremy paid full price for his Widow as have many other people.

At least eight of them are now in the hands of owners, more by the end of the day.

All response so far has been positive.

Another purchaser on another forum posted this short review:
--------------------------Quote------------------
The widow is amazing.

It takes some work for the original set-up, but once you have it set-up, with a little work you will be freakin yourself out.

I'm starting to get the hang of it and was using it super clean about 1 hour after having it out of the box. This is going to change walkaround and street magic.
------------------------end of quote-------------

I hope this helps... If you are skeptical - I think it would be prudent to wait for more reviews or why not wait and stop by your local magic shop and have them demo it for you ?

Phil
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Have you noticed a pattern....When an item is initially introduced, the first person or persons who review have just joined the Café?....They just discovered the Café exists?... Coincidence?...Hmmm...I'm not bashing since I don't have this....Just curious....And I hope there are lots more positive reviews soon..... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Black Widow (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11..16..21..26..31..32~33~34 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL