The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Killer Goldfish tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
davemen
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
16 Posts

Profile of davemen
Anyone recommend cool tricks with goldfish?
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Hi Daveman,

"Ink to Goldfish" has always been a hit for me.

Andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
502 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
I like Dick Barry Amazing Goldfish production.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Illusions4Life
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
129 Posts

Profile of Illusions4Life
I am with Andrew on this one. Have always loved ink to water and goldfish.

Jim
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I like Ink to Fish too. Rich Marrotas bowl production is nice too. Also, the old standard, with the large scarf and the table that makes it all happen...going back to your Tarbell books and before, is easy to make and very good on stage. Especially if magi has hidden a sponge with some water so, prior to setting bowl down, they see water drip on stage. Major help as far as misdirection,.
quack
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Staff
Maryland
5015 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Something rarely mentioned and seldom seen today is “Aerial Fishing” (catching goldfish in the air). The effect is straightforward, a fishing pole is “bated” and then cast into the air (usually over the audiences head). As the line comes back toward the magician a goldfish is seen dangling from the hook. The goldfish is taken from the hook and dropped into a bowl of water and is seen to swim about.

This was a routine I performed in a stage act for a few years (oh, some 20 plus years ago! Dang! How time flies!). I made my own set-up using an idea in one of John Booth’s books, “The John Booth Classics”. I used an old fly-fishing rod. I must say the effect looked pretty. Produce four or five living goldfishes and then vanish the whole mess! That was the routine.

I always like the Aerial Fishing trick better than the very similar “Birds from Nowhere” (catching invisible doves with a large net and dropping them into a cage). It packed flatter and the goldfish were easier to maintain than the doves (and easier to buy new on the road!)

Hummmmm, maybe it’s time to take it back out of storage and give it another run!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Harry,

I agree with you on goldfish vs doves "arial fishing or netting". I have seen both. I have seen goldfish done well and done poorly. I have yet to see the dove effect done so it did not appear that the guy caught a "dead" dove that suddenly came to life in the cage. The smaller fish helps in this regard.

But mainly....the fish trick has logic. We all know about fishing. You have a pole...you catch fish. But the same is not true for doves. You may catch butterflies in a net...not birds. Actually, again you are more likely to net fish than anything else.

Often with effects, logic helps sell them so much. If what you are doing makes sense it makes the trick stronger, all other issues being similar.
quack
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
502 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Yeah.... Mac King's, Aerial fishing routine rocks!! I loved it when I saw it in Vegas. Every once in awhile I get completely fooled and man... did he fool me good!
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
22196 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Mak Magic sells one. But I forgot the name of it. A lot of magic shops sells Mak's items.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
743 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
How about a spoof card routine. You could try fishing with a card as bait. The hard part is training the goldfish to read Smile

Perhaps you could lower the deck into the bowl and have the card stick to the goldfish, or he could "spit" it out at you or your card sword and for the big finale ..... sushi Smile
Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
EranRaven
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of EranRaven
Didn't Siegfried & Roy once produce a goldfish on one of their first TV specials. I don't recall how he did it (it has been a while since I have seen the special)
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
995 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
According to Dick Barry, Siegfried & Roy utilized his Champagne Goldfish Miracle.
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
I've been thinking about buying a version from Hocus-pocus. Any reviews on this?
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
mafedi
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of mafedi
"ARTISTIC FISH" by Hank Lee.

Does anybody actually have this effect to comment on? I'm thinking about ordering it soon.

Thanks.
kreme
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of kreme
I have bought "ARTISTIC FISH", and I think it´s an excellent effect.
I give it the highest recommendation.
Diamond Jim
View Profile
V.I.P.
Diamond Jim Productions
176 Posts

Profile of Diamond Jim
Dear readers,

I've been producing a fish in small fishbowl since 1997. I believe my method is unique from all the others. I've just released it and it can be purchased from your favorite dealer. Ask for LITTLE FISHY.

Yours,
Diamond Jim Tyler

ps- For more info visit
http://www.diamond-jim.com/originals
Jeff007
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Jeff007
I bought the version from Hocus-Pocus. I was a bit let down, so I can't say that I would recommend it.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I am an Ink to Water and Goldfish fan too. Very effective in the spectator's hands, letting them pull away the silk to discover the magic.
Daniel Faith
bob maget
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of bob maget
I always use Bettas. They live better in small tanks, hot water and have better colors.
Have fun.
bob maget
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of highmagic
I agree with DJ Tyler, his Little Fishy is great. As an animal lover, I usually refuse using animals in my shows - but I presume a small fish staying in a safe acquarium is not hurt after all.
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
David Copperfield did a very cool effect in his show for a while where he had the "moon rock" and the wine glass...the wine glass would be full, then empty, then full, then he would release goldfish from his empty hand. I think he called it "Tides."

Anyone know if this effect was ever marketed, or was it one of his own exclusive creations? I'd -love- to do that one.

--Jack Smile
carly
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of carly
I like Ink to Water. It´s very easy and nice.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
Bad Luck Network
10916 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Anyone have Fish Appear by Barry?
KSMagic2007
View Profile
Regular user
Missouri
200 Posts

Profile of KSMagic2007
Just thought I would mention, that I saw the adult stage winner at the IBM contest this year kill two goldfish in the gold medal show............
Kyle
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
Bad Luck Network
10916 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Was he using Fish Appear?
KSMagic2007
View Profile
Regular user
Missouri
200 Posts

Profile of KSMagic2007
No idea
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
Bad Luck Network
10916 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I bought the Fish Appear. Pretty good effect.
ivfour
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
233 Posts

Profile of ivfour
Candini,
What is the Fish Appear?
Jerry Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
Bad Luck Network
10916 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Fish Appear is by Nielsen. There is a video somewheres. You have a bowl of water than use a silk to cover the bowl. When the silk is removed, the goldfish is seen swimming.

I like it but want a different effect where I can produce the fish into any glass or goblet. Of course no chlorine.

PS: I own dozens of fish. I have a 110 gal filled with African Chilids and a small 10 gal, bowls etc.
Goldfish are cold water fish but can withstand warm temperatures (although its not ideal). The good thing here is the winter months. I use to have betas but during the winter (avg temp in house was 68), they need a heater. Goldie would be just fine:)
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
Quote:
On 2004-07-15 00:13, KSMagic2007 wrote:
Just thought I would mention, that I saw the adult stage winner at the IBM contest this year kill two goldfish in the gold medal show............
Kyle

Did you mean, "Kill with two goldfish" ? or "Kill two goldfish" ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Killer Goldfish tricks? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.183748 seconds, requiring 98 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [0] [5] [6] [9] [5] [8] [4]