The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Da Vinci Zone by Max Maven (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2006-06-18 22:10, ThomasBerger wrote:
"The bare minimum is $80/hr just to get someone to, say, open up your VCR, computer, or DVD player to see what's wrong. Auto repair at a dealership runs $125/hr in my city (Chicago). "

This is flawed thinking.
An item that is manufactured can be sold many times
after the initial work is done. You aren't comparing apples with apples.

Tom

I think he may be referring to making the book ones self. It depends on what value you place on your time. I wouldn't spend 4 or 5 hours making a gimmick if I could purchase it cheaper or the same.

J
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
It seems the gimmick is much more stealth than a typical index. At least the copy suggests that. The real strength in this would be for a seemingly impromtu mentalism effect at a friends home. It seems just about everyone has Da Vinci Code. If it also came with a paperback version or gimmick, I'd consider the purchase.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Todd Karr
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles
152 Posts

Profile of Todd Karr
Hi, everyone. The Da Vinci Zone is getting great response from those who've purchased it. When you see the gimmick and technique, you'll understand the workmanship and details that went into this production. The main advantage of the method we've devised is the clean, open nature of the whole procedure, since you don't need to hide anything or memorize anything.

As for the price, I'm sure many dealers will be discounting The Da Vinci Zone, so be sure to bargain-shop and get the best price for your budget. Yes, it's a steep price tag, but any performer will get their money's worth with the first public performance of the effect.

Here's a rave from LA attorney Brian Glicker, who bought one of the first ones: “I was at a friend’s house and the subject came round to The Da Vinci Code. I asked if they had the book and they, like 90% of all homes in America, said yes. They got their book, opened it at a page of their choice, and I proceeded to blow them away. The Da Vinci Zone is a reputation maker.”

Max wrote the great booklet "Exploring the Zone" and advised me on many of the details of the method, but the effect was invented by me. Max's book is killer and contains many variations, subtleties, and theories regarding the Da Vinci Zone and book tests in general.

Please let me know if anyone has any other questions!
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Must you get the page number from them?
Todd Karr
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles
152 Posts

Profile of Todd Karr
Yes, they name any page, but as Max teaches in his accompanying booklet, there are many techniques that will ensure that the audience will barely remember that a page number was announced. The important thing is to keep the focus on the presentation and not the procedure.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2006-07-04 15:28, Todd Karr wrote:
Yes, they name any page, but as Max teaches in his accompanying booklet, there are many techniques that will ensure that the audience will barely remember that a page number was announced. The important thing is to keep the focus on the presentation and not the procedure.

Could you care to explain, what advantage does this have over a simple crib? I am asking you, because you said you are the inventor. From reading your post as well as the ad, a crib/index will work just as well. If so, is the high cost because of Maven's booklet/name?
Could this be a case where NASA was trying to invent a pen for space(for writing upside down), spending huge loads of money for research, when a simple pencil would had sufficed?
Thanks,
To believe is Magic.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I have noticed that there are differently-sized versions of the paper-backed edition of The DaVinci Code in the United States. Does this work with all of them?

Also, I bought a paperback edition of the book in Australia a couple of years ago, long before the book was released in paperback in the US. Does the effect work with the Australian version? How about editions released in other countries?

0pus
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4305 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
According to the review by Jheff at http://www.jheff.com/jmom.html the gimmick can only be used with the hard cover version, not the paperback versions.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Less likely to be able to use a borrowed book then.

0pus
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2006-07-03 13:27, Todd Karr wrote:
Here's a rave from LA attorney Brian Glicker, who bought one of the first ones: “I was at a friend’s house and the subject came round to The Da Vinci Code. I asked if they had the book and they, like 90% of all homes in America, said yes. They got their book, opened it at a page of their choice, and I proceeded to blow them away. The Da Vinci Zone is a reputation maker.”

How many % of the homes will have the right copy of the book to perform this almost impromptu?

If the Magician is to carry the right copy of the book, how does this make it different from the gaffed ones, especially for the high price tag?
To believe is Magic.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
It would be cool if the crib was that crytex thing from the movie. ( I know I spelled it wrong)
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Julian Kestrel
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Julian Kestrel
The Da Vinci Zone is fairly priced for the thought and workmanship that has gone into making this available. Max's text is excellent and I do not think Todd needs to defend his price. Not being within a particular budget or pricepoint does not make something overpriced. Nor does the style of an effect not matching up with a performer make it an unworthy one.

I am pleased that Todd made this available and have found it to receive worthy response. The only complaints I have read so far fall into the category of people making suppositions about things which were not advertised.

As usual Todd has delivered what he promised.

Julian Kestrel
Todd Karr
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles
152 Posts

Profile of Todd Karr
Hi, everyone

Julian, thank you!

If you wish to use a "simple crib sheet," as has been suggested, go for it! Everyone has their own favorite way to do things, and it's not my place to suggest mine is better for EVERYONE!

However, such a crib sheet would have to efficiently organize about 900 pieces of information (two words for each of the 454 pages in the Da Vinci Code), along with clear clues for chapter openings, hyphenated first words, blank pages, and one-word sentences.

The Da Vinci Zone gimmick does solve all this in a very efficient way, and it's a method that works well for me and those who've purchased it and perform it.

The other issues about a crib sheet are where is it cribbed, what is the choreography for consulting it, and most importantly, how to introduce it and remove it in a subtle manner without having to palm or hide anything.

Again, these are issues that are all solved neatly by our method. And yes, it's incorporated into an item you can carry with you every day unsuspected.

The question also came up about what editions you can use it for. The hardcover edition has not changed its layout since the book was published, meaning that there are millions of copies of the American edition out there that you can use. The book has only recently been published in paperback, so chances are good that many households will have the hardbound one. We include one with each set.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know! I'll be glad to answer them!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4305 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Todd,

Thank you very much for responding to the questions presented to you. I have heard that the gimmick is fragile and may last approximately 18 months depending upon usage. Do you agree taht the gimmick will eventually wear out and need replacement? Will you be offering replacement gimmicks?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Todd Karr
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles
152 Posts

Profile of Todd Karr
Michael: Glad to be of help!
The gimmick's not fragile. I've had my prototype for over three years and it still works perfectly after hundreds of trials. You do want to handle it properly, like any prop, and if you mistreat it, it may get damaged. That's why we're offering a FREE replacement till January 1, 2008 if you return the damaged item. After that, we will of course offer replacements at a low, very reasonable charge; we're not going to gouge anyone after they've spent $200 on this routine!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4305 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Todd,

I appreciate your prompt response and your help.

Best regards,

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
takashi miike
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of takashi miike
So I take it its not a new method gimmick if youve had it for 3 years,also I think that many homes that have the book now are the paperback cheap copy from asda (walmart) say at £3.00 and not the hardback.i think you would find it hard to do this impromptu without your own book.therefore putting suspicion on the book.if I were you I would have used the effort for charging $2oo to produce a kick ass specialy printed feke da vinci code book similar to the flashback type.at least it would make it worth the money.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
It would be great to be able to re-program the gimmick for other popular books when (if) the fame of the DaVinci Code fades...

alan wheeler
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2006-07-09 04:44, Alan Wheeler wrote:
It would be great to be able to re-program the gimmick for other popular books when (if) the fame of the DaVinci Code fades...

alan wheeler

If you can build another gimmick for another book yourself (which, if I got what the gimmick is, it's a VERY possible thing to do) what you want is possible!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I already own Dracula BT which the end result is similar. Once you know the page number, you know the first and last word on the page. The book is very examinable before the test. You cannot reveal other information besides the first and last words however. There is no gimmick for DBT though.

I do coldreading along with the first word reveal which has been pretty strong.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Da Vinci Zone by Max Maven (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL