The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 'Tis the Season (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim David
View Profile
Regular user
MA
164 Posts

Profile of Tim David
Many of us will be very busy this month with Holiday shows. Every winter I usually end up with a nasty case of laryngitis and I have to miss out on some shows. Fortunately, I have other streams of income coming in when I do get sick, so I don't miss the boat entirely.

I just wanted to pass along some tips I've picked up from various doctors and personal experience, to avoid this problem and save some money and aggravation.

- First and foremost is to exercise control over your audience. If you have to shout over the crowd, you're more likely to strain your voice.

- Always bring a sound system...even to birthday party shows. You never know when you're going to need it and it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

- Drink plenty of water. Before your show, during your show, in between shows, and after your show. I also recommend tea or orange juice. Stay away from coffee, alcohol, and soft drinks. This is one of the most important tips I can offer.

- If you think you've strained your voice at a show, don't talk for an hour afterwards.

- Have a humidifier running in your bedroom at night.

- Don't smoke

- Dress warm, wear a hat or at least a scarf if you don't want to mess up the hairdo.

If you end up with laryngitis and you really need to get to a show, try this:

- Gargle with warm salt water or Listerine for at least a full minute.

- Carry plenty of cough drops

- Drink plenty of tea and water...more than you think you need.

- Learn a silent act or be a mime for a day

- Tell them you did a great "disappearing voice trick" (in sign language of course)

Well, that's it. It's pretty much common sense stuff, but it's good to remember to do it so you don't miss out on any shows or
income. It is very important to set up other streams of income for yourself so you don't HAVE TO leave the house to earn money.

The Holiday season lends itself to selling products, so if you have a product to sell, that would be a great source of income during
the early winter months. You can also book another magician to fill your spot and take a commission for the show. It's not as much as a full show, but it is at least SOMETHING.

Best,
Go spread some wonder

http://www.TimDavidMagic.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Dispite what people say, colds are not from cold air, it comes from a virus that is airborne or you shook hands or had physical contact with someone who had the cold virus on their hands, face, body or object.

So the most important thing to do, is to wash you hands after physical contact with kids because in every class there seems to be someone with a cold an the germs are spread amouck! (Of course wash your hands after the show.)

Also when one's body resistance is down, the more likely the virus will take hold so the above advise is good.
Dennis Michael
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
1 ciniman stick, 1 clove of garlic, a peeled chunk of fresh ginger, a spoonfull of honey and half a small lemon. Let brew in a big mug of boiling water and drink as fast and hot as possible.
Try it, it will do wonders for your throat and overall health, believe me.
Drink 3 cups of water in the morning and another cup at least every hour after that for the rest of the day. Try to gulp down a couple of cups about half an hour before meals. The water remedy is great for quickly solving headaches and backaches. Just drink 2 to 3 cups if your back or head is playing up. It usualy all binds down to simple dehidration.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 'Tis the Season (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL