The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fat Free Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
eize
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of eize
Does anyone have this book?
Is it good?
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
It IS good. In fact, anything by John Riggs is good and you would do yourself a favor to read all his works.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1675 Posts

Profile of Lior
John Riggs is a must read.
He has many strong and practical ideas.
Real world mentalism.
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Invisble touches , spoon bending, PK combinations
8 loops from Yigal Mesika http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8161

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1571 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Allow me to add my endorsement to John Riggs' books. All are worthwhile and all are on my bookshelf.
best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
<BR>Be Kind to Each Other
irishmagic
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of irishmagic
I own a few of Riggs books and Fat Free Mentalism is great. I love his work.
sifo
View Profile
New user
brazil
36 Posts

Profile of sifo
It is a great book.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
You won't go wrong with anything from John Riggs...ANYTHING !

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
812 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Do yourself the favor, and buy his CD - it has eleven (thirteen?) of his books, and, as has been said by the others, his material is well worth it!

Lee
"Let it be simple and pure, because miracles are simple and pure." - Mind2Mind.ca
eize
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of eize
Thanks everybody; I will buy it.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 44: Fat-free Mentalism – John Riggs

AD:

Mentalism for those who don't like to carry a trunkload of props. Strong mentalism requiring little or no props, the modern day approach to the art. Contents include Your Show, Gimme a Number, PWO Total Prediction, FloraRiggs, Information Steal, Cards of Desire, Q&A Prop, I Am!, The 30 Minute Walk-On Act, I've Got Your Number Too, How to be a Smooth Operator, Business Card Business, Centering Your Thoughts, Name and Sign Killer, Centers for Readers, Last of the Spike Tricks, The Art of the Read, Body Reading, and Q&A Another Way.

REVIEW:

Innocuous mental magic tricks. Chapter 1 includes a few effects with the Ostin Clip (talk about direct mind reading! “The performer brings out a prediction secured in a bulldog clip”..... man....) Chapter 2 describes some combinations of well-known methods, while part 3 is dedicated to psychic readings – straight from William Sheldon’s body typing principles.

Overall rating: weak

H.
Ben Cummings
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Ben Cummings
I happen to disagree strongly with Harvey. I think anyone interested in practical, real world mind reading methods should own Fat Free Mentalism and John's other excellent book, Heavy Mental.

I own them all, and wouldn't part with them if someone held a gun to my head.

Just my opinion -
Ben Cummings
Author of "Conversations With Mind Readers"

Over 40 hours of interviews with thirty-two Top Mentalists & Mind Readers.

For more info email me at bencummings1@yahoo.com and I will email you a detailed Prospectus.
irishmagic
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of irishmagic
Fantastic book. All of his work is fantastic.
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
756 Posts

Profile of leondo
I hope the world believes Harvey's review.
I don't want anyone else reading John's books but me!
Ted (Leondo)
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1571 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
I don't agree with Harvey at all. I have all of Riggs' books and they are good and practical.

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2901 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I have all of Harvey's reviews, and would consider trading them for a shelf full of Riggs' books. Any takers?
Neil Tobin, Necromancer
Read about my new interactive theatre show, coming this fall to Chicago, NY and L.A.! Http://neardeathx.com
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Interesting thread. Eize asked for a review of a specific product, and he received the following information (mainly from the PEA lobby):
- anything by John Riggs is good
- John Riggs is a must read
- Allow me to add my endorsement to John Riggs' books
- You won't go wrong with anything from John Riggs
- wouldn't part with them if someone held a gun to my head
- all of his work is fantastic
- I don't want anyone else reading John's books but me!
- I have all of Riggs' books and they are good and practical

Those comments look like caricatures, and do not help at all in the evaluation of the requested book.

I own Fat Free Mentalism, and I find Mr. Nerzoff’s review very specific and accurate: chapter 1 is indeed devoted to Ostin clip effects (which are pretty far away from the concept of real mind reading, this is quite a fact), chapter 2 deals with simple mental magic tricks combining classic principles, and chapter 3 is a mere description of the body-typing principles developed by Dr. W. H. Sheldon in the 1940s.

Claiming that Riggs is a wonderful man or that his apartment is tastefully furnished does not help a potential buyer, especially if the comments come from his friends.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1571 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
I bought all of John Riggs' books at full price. I owe him nothing. I will not say anything is good if I think it isn't, even if my mother wrote it. I might remain silent about something I don't like, but will not endorse anything that I don't think is good.

So, Highmagic, I resent your accusatory and erroneous innuendo. To put it bluntly, you are dead wrong about me.

Secondly, who said the Ostin Clip effects are far away from real mind reading? Did you make that up? You are entitled to your opinion, but when you represent your opinion as "fact" (your word, not mine), I think you do us a disservice.

In Fat Free mantalism, John shows how to take what seem to be ordinary items, walk on with them in your pocket and do a full 30 minute act with them.

This kind of show, for the general public, is excellent.It might not play well for magicians or mentalists, but they aren't who is paying me. The paying general public likes the stuff that is in FFM. I speak from performing experience.

As far as the rest of John's books go, it is well to read them as they give us part of a well rounded education in mentalism. It is only a part of the whole, but a necessary part, in my opinion.

Harvey has the right to his opinion and I have the right to disagree. And I beleive that I did so as a gentleman.

Your hinting that my opinion is based on anything other than the merits of the books is wrong. As I mentioned, I buy everything at full price so I CAN give my honest opinion.

Please remember that, Higmagic, when you include me or my comments you your accusations, implied or other wise.
Thank you.

best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
Talisman
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Talisman
highmagic and Harvey, I totally agree with you. It has nothing to do if I agree or disagree with your words, but this is how a review should look like. thank you for the time you put into it.
Trinity, is seems that when you are angry you manage to write a good review too, so I thank you for your time too.

Talisman , Israel
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1675 Posts

Profile of Lior
Hi Nimrod.
It is a good book.
A lot of stuff to use and a lot of tips.
Everything I read from John was great.
That's why I became his friend.
But that's not the reason I am writing.
It is because it is good stuff.
I am sorry that I don't think like some of the people here but at least you know me
and you know who I am.
Very hard for me to read a review from an unknown person )(good or bad).

Lior ({{{{{ Smile Smile 41)
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Invisble touches , spoon bending, PK combinations
8 loops from Yigal Mesika http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8161

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
I'd like to play Devil's Advocate here, if I may.

This type of derailed argument has *always* fascinated me.

My daughter *hates* carrots. I *love* carrots.

Question. Are carrots good or bad?

It depends on who you ask, correct? Let me explain...

If you ask my daughter if you should eat carrots, which way do you think she'd influence you?

If you asked me, what way do you think *I'd* influence you?

Pretty elementary, I think.

Now, which of us two is MOST accurate? Are carrots good or bad?

Is one of us MORE right than the other?

My point is this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Harvey and Highmagic don't like Riggs books. Others say his books are great (including me).
What I *CAN'T* understand is how the logic of having friends make comments OR members of the PEA have anything to do with it?

Should those of us who know John *not* post comments?

Do ALL PEA members post positive thoughts? I think not. Are you saying that the PEA endorses products by members that suck? Again, I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not defending the PEA. I'm not a member, but I am a friend of John's.

I'm open to being wrong. But to me, it sounds like there's folks who don't like to have their critiques critiqued. And that's fine with me.

All I want to know is, are carrots good or bad? Who ya gonna believe?

Answer? Find out for *yourself* and make your *own* decision. Then you'll have the right answer... for *you*.

How's that for modern day Zen?

Enough from me. I'm gonna have a carrot right now... right in front of my daughter! Smile

Devilishly yours,

Blair

Stage Hypnosis Secrets Revealed:
www.Mental-List.com/masterhypnosis.htm
Stuart Cumberland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fat Free Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL