The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fat Free Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Finally something interesting to read. Smile

Good point Mr. Robertson...

Humbly

Kuffs
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I'll add my two and a half cents: I own most of John's books and a couple of his impression devices. So far everything I've gotten from him has been highly valuable to me. There are several things I'm planning to include in my future sets that came out of his books.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
While I own many of John Rigg's books (including Fat-Free Mentalism), I find that I use very little of his actual routines or ideas in my mentalism repertoire. However, his creativity and unique approach are inspiring and very useful in getting me thinking more creatively about my own work.

I certainly recommend his books and know they will provoke many to think about what they do in an entirely different way.

Incidentally, I second Greg Arce's recommendation of John's impression devices -- these I use all the time with great success.

(BTW, I hope my membership in the PEA isn't held against me or my opinion on this matter.)

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
Why would it be held against you?

It is an honor to be recognized by one's colleagues as accomplished enough to merit membership.
mentalmagic
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of mentalmagic
An unasked question.

I've read with some minor interest the comments of those who think that this is a good purchase. But I've not read the "Whys" of their reasoning.

I am looking for some ideas that I can use. The question was asked, a negative review given, in the midst of several complementary comments about Riggs' materials in general.

How about a specific reason that FFM is good, to counterbalance the review that seems to pan it?

If anything it would remove the taint of personality issues that cropped up.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Because this is an open forum I will be putting my review in the Inner Thoughts section.
Greg
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
I myself have my share of Mr. Riggs books. I think most of my postings have been far and honest. Recently, I have been very sick and in fact my end up under the knife--which will make for some interesting patter, but that is for another time.

Mr. Riggs offers you a lot of real world material, he does not offer you armchair theories--like many of the items in say, Mind, Myth and magic (I know I am opening up can of worms there), Armed with the 13 steps, PMM, a few of Bob's better works and John's material, one would not need to buy another book and could make a rather nice living at it.

John's book do tend to repeat effects, which is a drawback, but overall it is not that bad. Mr. Riggs tends to lean towards the less complexed in methods, which I review as a good thing!

Yes, the PEA tends not to talk bad about their members, but that does not take away from Mr. Riggs material. I do not think it a crime to speak well of a friend and his product. Unless one is willing to cite a problem with the material in question.

I like Riggs stuff and I think most will get something out of it.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Put me on the band wagon of John Riggs books. I am not sure why an Ostin clip is regarded as a simple magic trick. David Hoy, someone who claimed to be "real" a times despite his famous opening line used an ostin clip for his famous vodoo doll routine and drew great gasps.

IN his books, John will give you great advice that will enable you to look "real", yes you may find some mental magic in there, but I don't think there is anything wrong with mental magic if that is what you do. It is about entertainment. Having said that, John will also give you plenty of effects to look "real" and nothing can be stronger than walking into a room and performing out of our pockets "fat free" so to speak. Hence the title.

I agree that if you are going to pick this one book up, you may as well purchase the cd and get all the books, everyone will find something and everyone will also find something they do not like, and that is how it should be if you are offering, and that is how it should be.

In my thoughts, you can't go wrong purchasing John Riggs material. Lot's of working pro's use his items and ideas so there must be something there Smile Of course this is just my half a nickel talking. If I get time this week I will try to post an indepth review of what is in this book, no promises.

Looks like there already is an indepth inteview in the inner thoughts section and boy, anyone looking at it can see there is a lot in this book. From an entire show, to tips and tricks on Q&A and lots of other really great ideas.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
stephen secret
View Profile
New user
mpls.
67 Posts

Profile of stephen secret
[quote]On 2004-06-14 23:22, Banachek wrote:
I am not sure why an Ostin clip is regarded as a simple magic trick. David Hoy, someone who claimed to be "real" a times despite his famous opening line used an ostin clip for his famous vodoo doll routine and drew great gasps.

[quote]
I use a vodoo doll and if the routine of David Hoy is public I would love to look at Mr. Hoy's use.

People some times move away from me when I show this...they are that amazed. But, I feel a need to present the effect better.

Sincerely, secret

p.s. what is the ostin clip?
sincerely, secret
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I have Fat-Free Mentalism and I must say that I like it. Is it GOOD stuff? It depends - as always - on what you want. The 30 minutes act for example in this book is in my eyes excellent. Well, if you want brand new, spectacular magic, then you are maybe wrong here. If you want solid things that you CAN perform, then this book is for you.

It is true that you don´t need a lot of props for these miracles. Why do I like it? Because you can work with it. You don´t use fancy stuff and devices, but you use "your mind" (and simple other things) and you can perform amazing stuff.

Now you must decide.....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
ThorstenHappel
View Profile
Loyal user
Düsseldorf / New York, NY
203 Posts

Profile of ThorstenHappel
In my opinion John Riggs is one of the most inspiring authors in mentalism. All the material I have seen so far was excellent and very well written. "Fat Free Mentalism", "The Psychic Agenda", "Heavy Mental", "The Suburban Charlatan", "The Complete Fortune Teller" all get my highest recommendation.

Note to highmagic: I do not belong to the PEA lobby. I am not a friend of Mr. Riggs. I just happened to like his material very much and appreciate that a professional like John Riggs shares his interesting ideas.
Thorsten
-----------------------------------------

"If this be magic, let it be an art ..."
-- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-02-23 15:37, ThorstenHappel wrote:
In my opinion John Riggs is one of the most inspiring authors in mentalism. All the material I have seen so far was excellent and very well written. "Fat Free Mentalism", "The Psychic Agenda", "Heavy Mental", "The Suburban Charlatan", "The Complete Fortune Teller" all get my highest recommendation.

Note to highmagic: I do not belong to the PEA lobby. I am not a friend of Mr. Riggs. I just happened to like his material very much and appreciate that a professional like John Riggs shares his interesting ideas.

Ditto. John is truly one of the brilliant thinkers in this field. He's funny, entertaining and always puts on spin on his routines.
greg
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
Where might one find all of his products?
ThorstenHappel
View Profile
Loyal user
Düsseldorf / New York, NY
203 Posts

Profile of ThorstenHappel
Quote:
On 2005-02-23 22:28, discjockey wrote:
Where might one find all of his products?

You can order directly from him. Here is his website:
http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/books.htm
Thorsten
-----------------------------------------

"If this be magic, let it be an art ..."
-- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
It is interesting: when you go to his homepage: http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/ you don´t find a link to his magic books, only to some novels. Does he not sell his magic books anymore?

Magixx
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
Calexa,

If you go to the link posted just above yours it will take you to the place on his webpage where his products are for sale - books included.

Allan
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
But you neet to click on this link: http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/books.htm , not http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/

Carsten
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I don't know the guy, love his books, and his dvds, vol2 and 3 of feet of clay especially...and his devices are superb and workable...

from what I know about him, he is a full time working pro...emphasis on pro...you will always pick up hints, tips and advice in any and probably all of his books..i have most of them...i got in the habit of ordering every month....

plenty of scope for changing the presentations to suit you more, and one particular routine got me thinking so much, I got an entirely new method of doing something right under the specs nose...so thank you mr. riggs...

he knows what hes talking about, q&a, blindfolds, PW and all the other methods...

seems a sincere, creative and genuine guy from what I've seen and read....
I've asked to be banned
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 09:48, calexa wrote:
But you neet to click on this link: http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/books.htm , not http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/

Carsten

Carsten:
You do realize that you were replying to a 3-year old post, right? Smile

And I agree with the majority here, John's material is fantastic. Smile

Tony
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
SUCH A GREAT BOOK!

Flora Riggs will endear you to any audience.!

D
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fat Free Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL