The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Everyone does the Hands Trick (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
Every single Magician I've seen over the last 3 years has done this trick.

I'm talking about the one where you get the spectator to put their hands back to back and then cross over etc. At the end the magician can turn his hands the right way up, but the audience can't.

Now, it's a pretty good trick, and get's a laugh, but why is EVERY SINGLE Magician doing it. From the Busker at Clearwater Beach, to the Magicians doing small shows, to Keith Barry when I saw him in Dublin, to David Copperfield and Lance Burton in Vegas.

Surely to goodness someone can come up with a different stunt to kick off a show.

Any thoughts on why this is so popular with Magicians. After the show if you talk to spectators they remember lots of tricks, but not this one. I thought it was kind of amusing the first time I saw it, but I'm sick of it now.

The only entertainment I get from it is spotting how the magician will get his hands into position.

-Richard
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Everybody does it because it works. Take a hint.

Sometimes people include tricks for many reasons. To fill up time is one. Because they don't have money for props is another. Or maybe the public are sick of card tricks.
I've only performed the trick a few times, but the reactions you get are great.

Steve
srayproctor
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of srayproctor
Does anyone know the originator or source for this trick?
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
> Everybody does it because it works. Take a hint.

hmmm. I don't know. I've seen it done by magicians great and small and it gets a laugh, nothing extraordinary. It's just to loosen everyone up and get their intention, and to that extent it works, but anyone who's been to a magic show in the last couple of years is now likely to have seen it. Anyone who's been to two is likely to be tired of it.

I know I'm unusual in the number of magic shows I go to (not a huge number, but far more than the average lay person). But I'm absolutely sick of this trick. Everytime I see a magician launch into it I roll my eyes, please not again.

The only entertainment I get out of it is that I can turn my hands the right way up, so people around me are confused as hell.

> Does anyone know the originator or source for this trick.

Magic For Dummies teaches it and says it was contributed to the book by Aye Jay.
But that doesn't necessarily mean he invented it.

-Richard
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
If it helps, I have no clue what you are talking about. I guess that means at least one magician isn't doing it.
Steve V
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
my mindless rambling's now total
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
Me neither, Anybody care to elaborate?
I was put on this earth to do a great many things..... I'm now so far behind that I don't think I'm ever going to die!
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
That proves it! Cool magicians don't do it!
Steve V
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Wow, I'm cool, too.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Me too. Care to elaborate on the routine?
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Is this the one where the hands are held out at arm's length, thumbs down, and the hands are clasped together with the palms touching? From there, the knuckles of the hands are turned towards the floor following through to the chest and then upwards. Ask a person to move one of their fingers by pointing to it without touching it.

From there, into the "Hands Trick."

Is that the one?
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I don't think so. This one is a cousin to the "Twisting Arm" trick. You start thumbs down and hands clasped similar to what you describe and then you rotate your arms so your thumbs are up. Of course they can't. What they forget is you let go briefly to "correct" someone in the front row, doing the "work" by counterrotating your arm in the process.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
But it doesn't have to be done that way. I saw it done without this method and it fooled the heck out of me.
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
I saw Copperfield do this without approaching the audience, and I'm totally bamboozled - can anyone help?
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
I do this sometimes before I lead into any other magic effect with a group of people or friends. Gets them everytime. I see magicians start out their show with this routine too, but it does not bother me because it is a quick way to get the audience involved.
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
maylor
View Profile
Loyal user
england
231 Posts

Profile of maylor
Here's Copperfield doing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MQe7LTO_58
Bill Hoffman
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Bill Hoffman
The Copperfield video amazes me, I need to learn this. how neat
MagicBH@Gmail.com
<BR>http://billhoffmanmagic.com
Suzanne
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis
96 Posts

Profile of Suzanne
Oh, he's doing it the same way... they just cut away and you don't see him let go and reclasp his hands. Watch it again and look at how his hands are before and after they cut away.
- Magic is what you are.

Suzanne's Web Page
Suzanne on Youtube
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
That's the one!
That's the one!

Same effect! I'm describing a different "get-into."
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
cheekychap
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of cheekychap
There’s other ways of performing tricks like this too, with the arms, or hands. Smile
Tom Mullica is a good source for these, and does a few different types on his warm ups with the audience. Smile
Like have your hand palm up, and without twisting your wrist, make your palm face down, even when he shows you how to do it, it’s a bit confusing at 1st. lol Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Please stop yelling!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Betchas » » Everyone does the Hands Trick (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL