The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Super Walking Knot v. Simplified Walking Knot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I've searched the various topics on the Café and I've viewed several video clips, but I still have a couple of questions. I'm looking at purchasing the Walking Knot effect as part of a silent routine put to music. I love this effect because of its visual simplicity. But here are my questions:

1. Does the Super Walking Knot create that much more of an "impact" on the audience as to justify the increased price? I don't mind spending money on an effect. I just need some opinions as to whether it's worth it in this case.

2. What happens when the rope gets dirty? Invariably this will happen over time. Do I have to buy a whole new effect or can I transfer the gimmicks easily to new rope?

Thanks.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The walking knot only gives you 3 places to cut, and the super walking knot gives you many more so you can slide the scissors along the rope, and make a cut anywhere. Pavel has rope maintenance info, I have always found him easy to deal with by email, Danny Archer is a Café member, and Pavel's US representative.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Kent:

I will add just a bit to Al's post. The more expensive Walking Knot allows a spectator to pick a spot on the rope where you'll cut it. You then tie the two pieces together, and slide the knot to any other place the spectator wishes. You then untie it at that point. So, that's what you're paying for - a rope which allows the spectator to pick the places where you cut and restore it.

The Simplified version allows just three places, like Al already mentioned. Unless you're using this with a spectator where they get to choose the spots, there's no need to go for the more expensive version. The Simplifed version will work just fine in a silent act; the rope works exactly the same way.

As for the rope, there is no way you will be able to transfer the gimmicks to a new piece of rope. I have several smaller Pavel ropes and have washed them in cold water using a mild detergent, and it worked well for me. Once you see the rope, you'll understand what an artist Pavel is - I'd love to see how he makes these ropes.

Ron
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Thanks a lot guys! It seems like the simplified version will suit my needs. Plus, I can buy 3 of those for the price of one Super version. That may ease some of my concerns about having to eventually replace the rope.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Kent
It really depends on your needs, because both tricks are the same size.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Can the rope be handled by the spectators? I.e. A tug is delivered by a spectator on each end?

I'm quite sure total examinability is out of the question and isn't necessary if you think about it, but a casual tug is always a nice simple way of showing the rope to be solid.
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Logan, the ropes cannot be examined or handled. No tugs! This is not a case of limited examination. It is a case of NO examination. There is no need. Get on with the routine.

As to dirty ropes. Pavel will make it in any color he has. Mine is made in red rope and hides dirt/grime very well. I have to wash it less often. The white version I used for years.

Think of this as a platform trick where you get audience participation without bringing the audience member on stage with you. They call out where to stop.

I have used both the full till tilt gimmick version (13 gimmicks!) and the three gimmick version. You can get by with the three gimmick version. You just keep moving a bit when the spectator calls stop.

It is a good trick for it's purpose. It's purpose is NOT a close-up trick.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Quote:
On 2006-08-05 07:49, Harry Murphy wrote:
Logan, the ropes cannot be examined or handled. No tugs! This is not a case of limited examination it is a case of NO examination. There is no need. Get on with the routine.

Point taken.

I too feel that the Super version is a bit redundant.

Have to save up for this one.

Harry, what do you think of the Junior version? It's exactly the same as the Simplified version, but it's only 2 yards long.

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
It's a good version to use when you don't have a huge space to fill up. It is more easily handled and you don't tie an end off to a chair or mike stand. You get a similar effect.

If I'm not mistaken, there is an extra bit that you can buy that allows you to tie the whole length of rope into a large, complicated looking knot. You give a magical shake or blow on the knot and it falls off leaving you holding a six inch length of rope in one hand and a huge knot in the other. It's a nice ending to the routine.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Quote:
On 2006-08-05 10:50, Harry Murphy wrote:
It's a good version to use when you don't have a huge space to fill up. It is more easily handled and you don't tie an end off to a chair or mike stand. You get a simmilar effect.

If I'm not mistaken, there is an estra bit that you can buy that allows you to tie the whole length of rope into a large, complicated looking knot. You give a magical shake or blow on the knot and it falls off leaving you holding a six inch length of rope in one hand and a huge knot in the other. It's a nice ending to the routine.

I've seen that performed, if I'm not wrong it's a separate effect called Krazy Knot, also made by Pavel, it's a very pretty effect. Lately Pavel has made a modification to it, where the magician picks up the bundled knot and threads it onto the short rope he has. Then he pulls the ends of the ropes apart and the knot dissolves, leaving the magician holding the original length of rope he started out with.

It would be really cool if you could buy some sort of 'add-on' which makes this effect possible with the Walking Knot set of ropes.

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I do Pavel's "Krazy Knot" with Daryl's "Acrobatic Knot", and then I finish with the "Krazy Knot" finale out of my top hat, which all three together work well for a very cool rope routine.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Krazy Knot is a stand-alone effect. However Pavel sold it as an additional effect to go with with his Junior Walking Knot. It involved adding a piece to the Junior Walking Knot prop so that it could be used for the drop off Krazy Knot bit. It is a nice finish to a strong routine.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Harry
Are you saying that if I add the junior walking knot it would fit my routine better than the acrobatic knot? I never heard of the junior walking knot complimenting the krazy knot before. I like the acrobatic knot because it uses magic dust which gives a reason for the krazy knot finish.
Al Angello
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Harry,

So if one would happen to have the junior walking knot and krazy knot, he could combine the 2? So after performing the junior walking knot version, he could perform krazy knot seamlessly?

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Harry and Logan
You guys are talking about two tricks, and I am talking about three tricks. There is "junior walking knot", "krazy knot", and "krazy knot finale" which is sold by Pavel as the finish for the krazy knot. I have been confusing the issue by talking about the Daryl "acrobatic knot", but if you go Pavel's web site you will see the krazy knot finale, which is an incredible finish for krazy knot.
Al Angello
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Al, No I'm not saying the "Krazy Knot Finale" is better than the routine you put together. It is only different. In fact I like your idea very much and think that is was a stroke of genius! Nice thinking and nice routining.

The trick I have in front of me is packaged as “Junior Walking Knot & Krazy Knot by Pavel” . Also included is a set of instructions titled “Krazy Knot” It can be performed as a stand alone effect. Then there is a set of instructions titled “Krazy Knot Finale” showing the seamless addition of the Krazy Knot to the Junior Walking Knot. Whew! So yes Logan, the two routines/props are built to compliment each other. Either can be performed alone without the other.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Harry
I have been reading your posts here at the Café for a long time, and I value your opinion, but I have never heard anyone mention the junior knot to go with krazy knot, and I wanted your advice before I invest $50 on one more rope trick. Today I sent an email to Pavel to get the scoop on how those three knot tricks were designed to be used, so stay tuned.
Al Angello
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Good call, get it from the man hizownself. Like you I seemed to be talking about two different tricks. The discussion started as a comparison between the two stage versions the full tilt boogie “Super Walking Knot” versus the “Simplified Walking Knot.” Then Logan asked about the parlor/club version “Junior Walking Knot. I have performed all three versions and have two right now, the Super Walking Knot and Junior Walking Knot versions. I used the Simplified Walking Knot to death and decided to not replace it. I perform the Junior Walking Knot most often (With the Krazy Knot Finale bit).

I bought the Junior Walking Knot with Krazy Knot years ago directly from Pavel. I had him make it for me in red rope (white shows the soiling of use right away and colored rope, red, blue, even yellow hide it a bit better). Anyway, it was packaged as I described. I dug the instructions out of the file and had them before me as I typed the last post. I think when I bought the prop is was being marketed as a package deal for a reduced price. But that was over 10 years ago. I liked the routine (I like Pavel’s work in general) felt I would perform it regularly and bought three sets at once. I have one, unused, left. It is time to renew my supply with at least one other set (in red) for back-up.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Wow!

If you got those 2 effects in one package, you're a real lucky guy!

I would LOVE to get a set of just those 2 effects like that. I wonder if Pavel would mind selling it as a package once more?

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Harry
I heard from Pavel this morning, and he said all THREE effects have interchangeable parts, and were meant to be used together. First the junior walking knot, then krazy knot, and finally the krazy knot finale, so it looks like I will be buying the junior walking knot to go with the TWO tricks I already have.

Logan baby
Can you tell me how many fingers I'm holding up?

TANKS
Al Angello
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Super Walking Knot v. Simplified Walking Knot (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL