The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Slinkey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
Are there any tricks out there that utilize a slinkey??? I was playing with one and thought that multiplying slinkeys or shrinking slinkey would be really cool.
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
There was a trick on the Allmagic Guide website awhile back using a plastic Slinky and producing a similar-colored silk inside the Slinky. I don't know if they archive any of their old tricks, though, or whether that's the kind of thing you were looking for.
Jaypoc
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jaypoc
With a quick look, (growing up in the 80's I'm interested too) I found a video series from Gaetan Bloom that has a mentalism effect with a slinky. It's on "Tales from the planet of Bloom, Volume Three."

http://www.mymagic.com/bloom.htm
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
For a quick site gag, take a clear plastic water bottle and cut it in half. Glue a slinky into the center of the two halves and then hold the bottle (in the middle at the cut) back together as if it were a regular, one piece, bottle.

Then you can make some comment referring to the price of water and that you only go for the best, pure, natural "Spring Water!"

With that, drop the lower half and let if spring down and back up. It will catch people off guard and is good for a laugh. Use your imagination and I'm sure you could come up with other gag lines, etc...

Have fun with it. It's a great icebreaker. Uh...Oh...another line in the making dealing with your spring water. Smile
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I really like the idea of showing a slinky and stretching it out to show empty, etc. Then it is collaspsed and you produce a huge quantity of scarves, ribbon, etc. Best,
Brad Burt
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Hmmm, not to hard but if anyone has an idea and a video I would love to see it. I am thinking about a few methods right now. Slinkey and a TT should start you off. I can't wait to see the results! Off to the toy store!

Christian
Tarbell!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Think Sleeve Load. Best,
Brad Burt
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
I was discussing this with someone via PM, and we came up with using a TT coil and a brightly colored slinkey.
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Some years ago I made something with a slinky. I performed it a few times in close up. It's more of a gag then a trick though. It's kind of like the locking scissors or the bounce - No bounce balls.

The effect is that the slinky becomes solid. I'd just play with it for a second then put it on the table. There's something about a slinky that calls some people to it. When they pick it up to play with it they find it's now a solid tube.

I've always wanted to find a way to make one stuck in the stretched position but I haven't been able to find a good enough method for that yet. Would be fun though.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
You could probably make one take a step, using loops.

How about using one as the circle in a square/circle set.

I like Ron's idea, but can't figure it out either. A hindu rising rope with one would be cool too.

mrunge's idea could have semi-magic possibilities, if you poured out a glass full first, then did the gag.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Thanks Josh...that's a great idea. I hadn't thought of that one.

I could glue a smaller container into the upper half, pour out some water into a glass (while just talking as if nothing is happening, taking all the "heat" of the water bottle) and then "spring" it on them with appropriate one-liners.

What a hoot!!! Mark.
Danik1
View Profile
Regular user
Saint-Eustache, Canada
184 Posts

Profile of Danik1
Gaetan Bloom as a nice use of the Slinkey in one of is Tapes "Tales from the planet Bloom"
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
John Moyer and I just released a Slinky Trick called SPRUNG thru Magic City. A slinky is stretched out and YOU WALK right thru it. The outfit also contains a very pretty card effect in which a card incased under a slinky visble changes places with another card as the slinky is sprung.

Most of the dealers will have it in the next few weeks.
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Quote:
On 2006-07-25 22:12, BradBurt wrote:
I really like the idea of showing a slinky and stretching it out to show empty, etc. Then it is collaspsed and you produce a huge quantity of scarves, ribbon, etc. Best,

Huh? Scarves, ribbons, etc.? This is the reason why magicians have such a hard time being taken seriously.

Gaetan also babbles about using the Slinky as a chop cup on his video. It's not really clear what exactly he has in mind, because he's kind of abusing his English a bit at this point. But I think the idea is very interesting and you could play with the transparency of the spring and the ability to reach into it from above.

Thanks for the idea with the water bottle. One of the best ideas I've heard of lately.
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Slinkey (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL