The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Twisting the Aces or Asher Twist (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Thanks andrewte

I enjoyed that, I am inspired!
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I prefer Asher Twist, as it hits the audience fast and hard. While I can only do it when it's completely noisy and I have the right angles (must practice... more!), it still gets a great response when the audience finds out that it's really only four cards.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I gotta vote for the Asher Twist myself. I've been doing it for people recently and the pace and the seemingly lack of handling really makes it look like a miracle to the them.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
The ASher Twist is very hard to do as well as needed. I have seen several good card men do it, and none of them managed it as smoothly as Lee. It can be noisy, and there is another problem: you are doing EXACTLY what the spectators THINK you are doing - namely, turning them over secretly. They may not know exactly how, but unless your execution is PERFECT like Lee's, there will be tells.

Twisting The Aces is more forgiving, IMO, and - to the audience - you're doing the same trick.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
XanderNova
View Profile
New user
Toronto
8 Posts

Profile of XanderNova
I find that the two balance each other out, if you do twisting the aces first and then the asher twist the specs do not know whats going on so much. so IMO both are worth learning, I learnt twisting the aces first. I was then taught the asher twist from lee himself and I much prefer doing it now
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Ross, I just can't agree with you. while I'm just a hobbyist, I do this frequently and if done well, people just don't think its possible that you could be turning them over by hand. I've only been caught on foul up when I have flashed. Other then that, it's astonishment, even more so on the last phase.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I did a crazy amalgation of Twisting the Aces and Asher Twist. I was all the way at the end of TA when I forgot how to reveal the last ace. So I just put it in Asher Twist location, revealed the final card, and proceeded to the "flip one, they all flip." Worked out fine.
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
Vernons ace twisting routine is much better IMO. I think that Asher's version is good, but Vernon's version is a classic of magic and should be learned by any self respecting cardician.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
You may also want to look at Reed McClintock's Twist for a third alternative...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
joesilver
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of joesilver
Asher Twist is not as reliable, angle friendly, quiet, etc... As a technician, however, there's no harm in learning the Asher Twist. Lee is a super guy, and is a true innovator. That said, I don't really use his "move" ever. Anybody?
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Is Mc Clintock twist angle proof? Is it easier to learn than the Asher twist?
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2006-09-08 21:46, Magicque wrote:
Is Mc Clintock twist angle proof? Is it easier to learn than the Asher Twist?

I think it is...It brings the waist level twist to chest level...and is also fun to practice.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Quote:
On 2006-08-24 08:28, Joshua Barrett wrote:
Ross, I just can't agree with you. while I'm just a hobbyist, I do this frequently and if done well, people just don't think its possible that you could be turning them over by hand. I've only been caught on foul up when I have flashed. Other then that, it's astonishment, even more so on the last phase.

It is human nature to be kind and just because people don't call you on something doesn't mean you are fooling them. Please don't take this the wrong way but if you do you are only fooling yourself.

Sincerely,

Tony
...the magic that creates Memories!
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Isn't this basically a question of whether you should learn the E.C. or not? Of course you should! There are a million applications for this count and twisting the aces is a great trick to help PERFECT THIS IMPORTANT SLEIGHT. This should not even be an issue. Learn the count. Perfect it. Then learn twisting the aces. Asher Twist is a great routine, but the "move" in that routine is not nearly as critical as the move in Vernon's original routine. Its like learning a fancy dance move before learning how to walk. It just doesn't make sense.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I really like the version by Martin Nash. A chosen card appears at the end in place of one of the "turnover" cards.

Just my personal preference.

You're right when you say, "learn the Elmsley". That was the most difficult thing to master. Need further practice...the old hands ain't what they used ta be, LOL

Doug
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Check out Simon Aronson's application of the twisting effect in his 'Favorite Card Trick' routine.
It's all in the reflexes.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5474 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I had the pleasure of watching Oscar Muñoz perform his variation of the McClintock Twist today. I'm still a big fan of Vernon's TTA, but this was simply phenomenal and by far the best alternative I have seen.
K_B_G
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of K_B_G
I think twisting the Aces by Vernon is too old school and the effect is moderate in comparison to modern day twisters. I prefer Guy Hollingsworth’s Waving the Aces and Mercury by David Kong. These call for no suspicious get ready moves and un natural actions. The final change of the Aces into Kings is a major moment of Astonishment for the audience and leaves the normal versions in the dust. Lees Asher Twist is cool and does require practice and a knack but the angles are bad for large audiences and if the audience even has the slightest suspicion as to whether your are just turning the cards over your routine is blown. Even if the can’t see it in a routine like this they will still call you on it.
jasonpearsall
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of jasonpearsall
I use the asher twist. Great trick and a sleight well worth learning I think. You do have to be really careful with the angles though. I recently saw Reed McClintock do his twisting the aces. It was fantastic, I haven't got a clue how it was done!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
It is a hard one to perform smoothly and noiseless. I saw some very bad presentation in the past years. A challenge for a cardician. For a layman TTA is amazing enough.
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Twisting the Aces or Asher Twist (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL