The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Fake Cinder Blocks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1716 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Hello to all!

I am working on a special illusion and would like to add cinder blocks to the base; however, I need them to be fake so they are light weight, can conceal the wheels of the base, and be mistaken as real cinder blocks...

Any ideas? I would much rather purchase them pre-made if possible...

-Bryan Gilles
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3860 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
A few pieces of Styrofoam sheet, cut, assembled like a box, and painted with a concrete gray acrylic or flat latex would work and would not be hard to build.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2292 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Right on the button. If you want them to look like cinder blocks, find a block you like at Home Depot or a similar place, buy one, and use it as a model.

If you need a really hard surface to protect them, try SculptRCoat (not sure about the spelling here); it's a thin-coat cement-like product especially for this purpose and comes in gallon cans.
That's Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net
Latest column: That's cool, but why are you doing it?
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
515 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
All the latest window / door trim on stucco homes is really a styrofoam subform with a binding mesh cement coat. Over that thin coat your could mix a bit stiffer mixture to give it more texture and after all it is cement so your needn't even have to paint it.

Dr. Solar
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1274 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Don't know how expensive it would be, but one company is really good when comes to light and good props. They might have cinder block in storage.

http://www.foamtec.net

Maybe its worth a shot!
Sent from my Typewriter
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1716 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Excellent resources and information guys!

Thank you! Once again the Café' proves to be the number one resource for Magician's Helping Magicians!

-Bryan Gilles
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3860 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Another possibility might be to build a wooden mold and use the spray foam insulation to fill it.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3719 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Bryan,

You might also contact your local college "Theater Arts Department" and ask one of the stage builders, or professors, about stage / background construction.

I'm sure they would be glad to help. Even though you might not be a student there, they are always happy to help those in the community. After all, it's your tax dollars at work supporting the university.

They always build the scenery for plays being performed that look great and don't cost a lot of money. From a short distance away, it might be just what you're looking for.

Good luck. Mark.
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
Once you figure out the material to make the fake out of, you may look into some of the spray paint stone finishes which may look nice. The stone finishes come in different colors and have different color variations inside the can for a speckled finish.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Having made a large Menhir (Standing stone) with Styrofoam and spray paint, other than the idea that a cinder block would be more carving, or cutting and glue up if you do not use foam and a mold, nothing beats foam for fake rock look-a-like!
The fine folks at http://www.smooth-on.com can likely give you excellent help and product aid if you want to do the mold and casting route. Just remember solvent based spray paint will nibble and melt the foams (great for a granite Menhir) so be sure to use a water based primer coat for a more smooth or concrete look.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
I second the motion on Smooth-On products.

A few years ago I needed a number of rigid foam bricks for a gag. A silicone mold was made from a real brick and filled with their foamed polyurethane resin casting material. They look great, weigh about 2 ounces and the texture due to the detail of the mold is indistinguishable from a real brick.

Cinderblock = same process, bigger mold
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1716 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Any idea of pricing for "Smooth-On Products" I just sent them an email and sitting patiently to hear back from them...

-Bryan
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
Smooth-On has an on-line store... http://www.smoothon.com/order_online_matrix.htm

Prices are listed. I'd suggest "OOMOO 30" for the Silicone mold (A "Pint Kit" contains a quart of material) and "Foam-IT!" Polyurethane foam to cast it.

Probably set you back fifty bucks plus shipping.

Read the instructions carefully...and good luck!

Dan/EARL
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
cardsharpist
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of cardsharpist
You can cut the foam with a hotwire cutter, also be sure to use Krylon H20 paint or Testers. Both of the those brand of paints will not melt the foam.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Fake Cinder Blocks? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.138981 seconds, requiring 60 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [8] [1] [3] [8] [9] [0]