The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Tips on performing for Deaf audiences? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tsewnhoj
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of tsewnhoj
In my real life I am a sign language interpreter. I've also performed magic and interpreted for magicians with Deaf audiences. Here are a few things you should know.

If your jokes are based on word play, drop them. They don't interpret into ASL (American Sign Language). Think concept. If the concept is funny go with it. If it's linguistically funny, let it go.

Also remember that the interpreter will be a bit behind you, so when you hit the punchline, don't be surprised if the laugh has some lag. Also if your comments ends at the same time your trick is revealed, you will want to throw in an extra second or two. Need time for the audience to switch from looking at the interpreter to looking at you.

Remember you are dealing with a VERY visual audience.

However... just because something is auditory doesn't mean it won't work. I interpreted for a magician who used the Axtell Drawing Board and the kids at the school for the deaf loved it.

I know there are some deaf magician's out there. I would like to get some of their input as well.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Jaxon, a member here, is deaf.
He's a generous guy and may be of some help.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Man. Someone who's a magician and interpreter is like a dream come true for me. If you're ever at a magic convention that I'm at please let me know so maybe you can interpret a lecture or two. I skip a lot of them because I'm not getting everything they are saying. Especially if they aren't doing visual magic. I tried to have someone interpret for me before but she was lost when it came to magic terms. Imagine the look on her face when he said "Han Ping Ching". Smile

Good advice tsewnhoj. One thing I really learned is that there's a huge difference between being a deaf magician and a deaf spectator. As a deaf magician I have to stay in control of my act. This means it's not as easy for them to interrupt or heckle me. But the down side is they could heckle me and I wouldn't even know about it. Or they might say something that if I had heard it I might have been able to make some comment to get a laugh. So I basically just keep control of the situation so I don't have to hear anything they say.

It's taken a long time to be able to do this without offending anyone. For example it's polite to ask someone's name when they come up to assist you. If I can catch there name by lip reading I'll say, "Nice to meet you Mike". If I didn't catch it I'd just leave there name out and go on, "Nice to meet you. My name is Ron".

I have performed for deaf groups before and it went well. But I have to admit I feel more comfortable performing for hearing people. Basically because my act is so heavily involved with my deaf humor and hearing people will respond differently.

Just the other night I was lying in bed watching TV with my girlfriend. She rolled over and said she's going to sleep. I said, "Don't snore. You kept me up all night last night". She's used to my jokes so she just smiled and jokingly hit me as she told me to shut up. So I said, "You talk in your sleep too". She knew I was joking so she said, "What do I say?". I said, "I don't know. You're hands where under the sheets".. Smile

My acts are full of little lines like this and deaf people might laugh at them a little but it's received a lot differently from fellow deaf people.

So that's a little of my flip side to this conversation. The biggest advice I can give if you ever perform for a deaf group is to perform your normal act. Don't change much except for some of the things that tsewnhoj about pausing when needed and keep it as visual as possible. If you do an act to music then keep the music in there. If you don't it may mess up your rhythm. The interpreter will tell them that music is playing and your actions when performing to the music should slow as normal.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
tsewnhoj
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of tsewnhoj
Great advice,

I loved the "talk in your sleep" joke.

For those who haven't worked with deaf audiences the decision on what audio is ok and what isn't can be confusing. Definatly leave the music in your act. Deaf doesn't mean "hears nothing". Most of the confusion comes when interpreting jokes in English.

As for interpreting magic conventions, that is actually a goal of mine. My problem now is I stay at home with my kids. The youngest doesn't start school until next year, so I don't have the time to travel for conventions, that aren't directly work related. However next year all the kids will be at school and my time will be much more flexible.

*NOTE TO SELF: Look up meaning of "Han Ping Ching" before interpreting a magic conference Smile
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Most magic moves like that would be signed just by miming the action. For double lift I would probably just mime the action after signing "2". So it would take a magician/interpreter to do it accurately. Well, they could just finger spell the words but I wouldn't want to do that.. Smile

Tell you what. Maybe someday if you want to go to a convention I can pay your registration fee for your services of interpreting the lectures. Just a thought.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
tsewnhoj
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of tsewnhoj
Thanks for the offer.. Check your PM.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Hello –

I have worked for several Deaf audiences. At first I had to get used to the Interpreter standing up there with me. Then I had to learn to pace my performance to allow the Interpreter to keep up. I change the act to fit the environment. Just because they are deaf doesn’t mean they're stupid. So I treat them just like anyone else, with respect and love.

Working for the deaf is not really a big challenge, you just have to adjust a few things and then go with the flow. Slow down a little (Which should be general advice for many magicians, regardless of what audience) and smile a lot. The rest is easy.

Justin -
SoundWave
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of SoundWave
Thank you for the advice. A 10 for the information.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I am hearing impaired and studying magic at age 44.

I have used interpreters in the past, but mostly in a scholistic classroom. When I am watcing a Magician, I want my visual focus totally on what they are physically doing. I find it difficult to watch an interpreter and watch the magician at the same time, might miss the important stuff if watching the interpreter.

That means I am avoiding the magician's patter, which is where I need the interpreter.

How would it be possible to watch the magician and the interpreter to get the FULL effect?

Last summer I had to drive down to Atlanta, Georgia for non-magical purpose, but while I was down there I decided to stop by a Magic store. When I entered this store for the first time, I saw a group of adults watching the young adult magician showing off his skills. At the same time I noticed everyone was chatting up a storm, and this is where I said to myself "oh god, more yapping." In the beginning I just browsed the store and only peeked at the performance a few times. I am at that age where I am sick and tired of "Hearing-people" in social groups. Just before leaving the store, I did watch fully for 5 minutes. Just watch the visual part of what he was doing, and not a clue as to what he or the others were saying.

This was the only time I actually saw a real magician in person, and he was pretty good. All the other magic I have seen have been on TV. I have spent a life time avoiding "Hearing-People" related events. Which means I stay home a lot.

Anyway, I am used to seeing the visual part of magic and not paying any attention to the patter. If there was an interpreter, I am not sure I'd pay any attention to them. This is all out of habit, a bad habit. I need to hear the patter, but how would this be possible if I wanted to watch the magic at the same time?

I am glad I caught this post and want to thank both tsewnhoj and Jaxon for all the help that's been given.

Many thanks
Keith
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Do a silent show or talk very load...
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Talk very "load?" That's good if you do the cups and balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day

Each year here in Crescent Head (which is a popular Australian Surfing destination)a social group of people who are deaf and also surf come for a week. I have spent time with then in the surf and always make a point to see them at our local club over a meal. We share some surfing stories and many of the group are keen to watch some close up magic. These guys help me to improve my presentation because some of the misdirection techniques that I rely on are connected to a combination of visual and verbal cues and the verbal cues are not much use.

Thanks for this discussion.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
Samduckie
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Samduckie
COme see us at 12th World Deaf Magicians Festival on from April 7- 13 in Riverside,California, There will be over 350 Deaf magicians from all the world. http://www.2008WDMF.com

THanks
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Keep it Visual! Colorful/simple hit hard.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
First off I have to say that the "talking in her sleep" joke. It was so funny in a good way. Secondly I never knew that Ron Jaxon was deaf. I learn something new and intresting everytime I log on to the Café'. I always steared clear of deaf auidences because of the patter in my act as well as using the music for my illusions. I am now going to look at it a lot differently. I am not trying to say that I had a revelation here but my eyes were opened a bit and for that I thank you for the great posts. Keep them coming.

Thanks

Steven
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
IF you ever get the chance take it. It'll be an experience.

One thing I'll share with you. If you ever meet a deaf person you might find them to be very quiet people. I don't mean quiet as in volume but as in a person that might seem a little shy.

But most likely the opposite is true. In fact if you ever see a group of deaf people together they'll be very open people. Man, they can get dirty too.

I think I understand the reason for this though. Imagine you spend 80% of your time with people who don't speak your language. When you spend that 20% of your time with people who do you'll be able to express yourself.

Why do I even bother to share this? Well, I think it's important to know as an entertainer. If they seem like a quiet personality that might only be because they know you don't speak ASL. But don't mistake that quietness as being shy. They can be just as open as anyone else.

The bottom line is there's only one difference. They can't hear your voice.

Ron Jaxon

Samduckie
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Samduckie
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Great advice from Ron!!

Will take all that on board for the future

Deaf audiences I perform for in theatres -The whole act is visual to loud music with no interpreter & works so well!!
Al Hastings
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh,PA
41 Posts

Profile of Al Hastings
"...I'm going to thumb through the deck and say STOP when you want me to stop.

If you speak spanish, say ALTO!

If your deaf, then just say Staaaaaap! "

--- I can tell that joke because they can't hear me...
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
I have found that they are appreciative if you do a good performance. The deaf may miss some things but so do my hearing audiences. They will remember you for a long time.

Robert
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Tips on performing for Deaf audiences? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL