The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » New Contest: Win a book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Noel D
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Noel D
Final guess

Entropy -Larry's variation of the shuffleboard effect.

Gateway through space and time -coins go through space (the box) and time (reverse matrix with the cards.

Spirit cabinet - the chinese figurine is possesed, and influences thigns to happen, like the handkerchief being tied aorund the glass, the ball appearing in the glass, and finally, moving a stack of coins form the magicians hand (or the cabinet) to the glass.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4133 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Thanks to everyone who participated or viewed this contest. I couldn't decide who came closest so I picked the TWO closest sets of answers. Those came from Wunceaponatime and Noel D. BOTH will win a copy of 21st Century Coin Mechanics with the Companion Video CD and free dollar size Chinese coin. Please PM me with your shipping address.

Here is the gist of the effects. I'm leaving out of course a lot of the script and details so this is just the bare bones.

Ch. 5- Entropy I: There are two versions of this effect in chapter 5 (Entropy I and II). The magician shuffles the cards. The deck is cut and riffle shuffled by the spectator with one half face up and the other face down. The deck is divided into four piles. The spectator chooses which piles are shuffled together and the magician riffle shuffles them according to the spectator's wishes. The deck is then cut once more to a point where the spectator chooses. Thirteen cards are dealt without changing their order from the deck from that position. Some cards are face up and some face down. The face down cards in the packet are turned face up so all the cards are facing the same way. The relative order of the face up and face down cards to each other is not changed. The packet is cut once. The top card is dealt onto the table and its an Ace. The next card is placed under the packet. Another card is dealt to the table and its a Two. The next two cards go under the packet and then a Three is turned face up onto the table. The "down under" deal is continued until the Ten is reached. For the Jack and Queen,they are spelled instead of counted until all you have left is the King. Order from disorder.

Ch 7.- Gateway Through Space and Time: Four cards are seen at the corners of the mat. Under one card are four half dollars. They are in the present. The cards are placed aside for now. You introduce a little time machine or time tunnel which you invented. Although it can send things back in time, it only works for things that fit in the little device and you can only go back a few minutes in time. The Time Tunnel (it's a custom coin box unlike anything available, but you can make one yourself) is shown and the four coins placed inside (the coins, cards, and time tunnel can be examined if desired). One at a time the coins pass through the time tunnel penetrating the fabric of space and time. The coins are seen to penetrate through the device. An hour glass (ungimmicked) is displayed and time is slowed by "adjusting the hourglass" so one of the penetrations can be seen in slow motion.

The cards are placed back into the corners of the mat. One coin is placed under each card slowly and fairly. They are now in the past. Then the hourglass is turned over and time reversed. With no sneaky moves or Matrix type pickups etc., the coins one at a time reassemble under one card getting them back to the present where they started. Only four coins are left and there is nothing to ditch. No shells and no difficult moves. There is a gaff that helps make this happen that no one will ever see.

Ch. 8- Haunted Cabinet: In the book there are instructions on how to build this effect. The chest once belonged to a Chinese magician named Wei Po-Yang who took his name from the famous alchemist. His spirit is said to still inhabit this chest. Three magical events take place inside the cabinet as you demonstrate how haunted it is.

1. A handkerchief is tied in a loose knot and placed inside a glass and both are placed inside the cabinet on the left. The front door is closed and opened a few seconds later where it is seen that the glass is empty and the handkerchief rests on the pedestal on the right side of the cabinet.

2. A ball is placed on the pedestal and the glass on the other side inside the cabinet. The door is closed and a few seconds later when it's reopened we see the ball now in the glass.

3. The empty glass is placed back in the cabinet and covered with a single playing card. The door is closed. Three coins are shown and vanish from the hands one at a time. As each one vanishes, a coin is heard apparently landing in the glass. When the door is opened there are three coins in the glass.

Note: The glass, ball and handkerchief can be examined. The coins in the glass could be examined too if you wish. The cabinet of course cannot be examined. This does not work like Astro Ball or Pogo. Everything is mechanical and under your control.

-Larry
NEW: Magica Analytica www.barnowskymagic.com

The Book of Destiny http://www.barnowskymagic.com/bookofdestiny.html

Kingdom of the Red Book and DVD http://www.barnowskymagic.com/kotr1.html

21ST CENTURY COIN MECHANICS and Counting On Deception www.barnowskymagic.com
magician 336
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of magician 336
Sounds like a book I'll love. Good job Wunceaponatime and Noel D.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4133 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Some of the posts and PMs I received asked whether "Entropy" was a variant of "Shufflebored". It does not use the parity type principle of "Shufflebored" and in no way resembles that effect. It is fairly easy to do. A false riffle shuffle is not even needed to do the effect. Some clever mathematics takes care of most of the trick.

No threads are used in the "Haunted Cabinet"
and there is nothing attached to the handkerchief, glass, ball, or coins!

"Gateway" is easy to do and could be done surrounded sitting at or standing in front of a table. For those of you who are not good at or don't have the time to make your own props, I'll be selling the time tunnel coin box separately from the book at low cost to purchasers of the book.

-Larry
NEW: Magica Analytica www.barnowskymagic.com

The Book of Destiny http://www.barnowskymagic.com/bookofdestiny.html

Kingdom of the Red Book and DVD http://www.barnowskymagic.com/kotr1.html

21ST CENTURY COIN MECHANICS and Counting On Deception www.barnowskymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » New Contest: Win a book (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.155923 seconds, requiring 20 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [6] [5] [2] [2] [2] [7] [2]