The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building Tip #1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2426 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hello,
As promised, I am beginning a series of Building Tip posts. Some of these may be known to fellow builders. However, I believe them to be helpful to others.

Link to Building/Painting Tip #2 http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......26&1

Link to Building/Painting Tip #3 http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......26&2

My first tip:

M.D.O. Plywood for use in constructing main panels of any "Box" type Illusion (Zig-Zag, Mismade, etc.) M.D.O. stands for Medium Density Overlay. It is a bit more expensive but is well worth it, considering the Prep Time you save as well as Endurance.

Basically, it is a quality Plywood with a Paper laminate on the top surface. I used this in the Sign Industry for many years. It allows a smooth as glass finish with MINIMAL prep work. You do not fight the Grain showing from standard Plywoods. Each sheet has a 2 Good sides, however, one side is always a little better, Make sure to mark the Better side OUT when plotting your cuts.

After cutting all parts, and prepping the edges*, simply Tack Cloth the wood and apply your Primer. Sand your Primer w/320 grit sandpaper and apply your Finish Coat** using a high grade Enamel*** or Laquer paint.

I will post the following tips ASAP

*Edge Prepping
**Finish Coat Tricks
***Kick Butt Paint to use

Hope this helps!

Chance Wolf Smile

Edge Prepping Tip:
Nothing is more of a Pain in da Butt than trying to get those Plywood edges smooth. Here is the easiest way to achieve a beautiful finished edge with minimal effort.

Home Depot carries a product called Elmers Carpenter's Wood Filler. It comes in a 3.25 Oz. Squeeze Tube. It is water based, non-toxic and odorless. Blocksand your plywood edges with 220 grit sandpaper. Don't kill yourself on this step, just knock down the surface a bit. Squeeze the Wood Filler Paste onto a small plastic squeegee or your fingertips and firmly apply along all edges of the plywood. Let dry for 30 min. or so and blocksand w/220 Grit paper again.

This stuff sands VERY EASY so don't get too crazy. The idea is to maintain as much filler on the edge which will keep the Primer from sucking into the edge grain. Just make sure the edges are smooth and level.

Now your ready to paint!
This is awesome for platform type tricks when you are trying to achieve an Owens type quality to your edges.

Hope this helps!

Any further questions, just ask.

Chance Wolf Smile
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Chance, thanks for the tips. I have been trying to find plans for a suitcase table and these tips will surely help. I look forward to more in the future.

Scott
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Chance,

Thanks for the tips, they are greatly appreciated. Please confirm that the plywood that you mention is available in Home Depot or Lowe's type of store. Or is any other place that we need to look to find this type of plywood.

Thanks,

Carlos Hampton
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Carlos--

I've never seen MDO at my local Lowes or HD. They might be able to special order it.

When I use it, I get it at a full-service lumberyard. (It ain't cheap...)
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6046 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Check out this video clip on Medium Density Overlay (MDO) Plywood.
Dennis Michael
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2426 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Dennis, Awesome link! Thanks for helping prove my point, if Bob Vila says it's Good... is there any doubt?
I will be posting the next tip about "Finish Coating" real soon!
Chance Smile

mikeB
View Profile
New user
UK
84 Posts

Profile of mikeB
In the UK it is easier to obtain MDF, Medium Density Fibreboard. MDF cuts well, and is easily moulded with a router; also takes paint well with a very smooth finish on both sides. It is heavy but with good strength. It comes veenered as well, from timber merchants (oak, cherry, pine etc) both sides being of equal quality.
Cheers

Mike
Your Reality Is A Figment Of My Imagination
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6046 Posts

Chance,

Any more tips?

PS: Great picture.
Dennis Michael
jcmagic
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
16 Posts

Profile of jcmagic
Thanks great tip
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2426 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Scott, Make sure to use 3/8" Baltic Birch Plywood for your suitcase table. The masonite is not recommended. Baltic Birch is relativley inexpensive and sturdy enough to last a lifetime. Use my Painting tips to prep and paint your Baltic Birch.
Dr. Amazo, you can find M.D.O. Plywood at any typical Lumberyard. Check it for quality, do not be afraid to dig through the pile a bit to find a piece without scratches or blems.
Thanks for the appreciation JC!
Chance

sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
457 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Chance
Great tips, never would've thought of using wood filler to dress the edges, but it is an excellent idea.
Don't know where you get your sandpaper, but klingspor has really good sandpaper at a pretty good price.
I helped open their Raleigh store, and have personally bought a mess of their sandpaper.
They have a bargain box at each of their stores where they sell it by the pound, and you can just dig through it to your hearts desire.
I usually look for the real fine stuff, or really thin sanding string pieces. The prices for these are Smile amazing.
On the web you can find it at:

www.woodworkingshop.com

or just go to:
http://www.woodworkingshop.com
and browse.
I no longer work there, but I still shop there when I have the time(or money Smile ).
Enough commercial, Again, GREAT TIPS!!!
Thanks
Steve Smile
zzz
Ps if you are coming to NC (which at present is the only place where you can find the Woodworking Shop stores), stop at the NC welcome centers at the border. They have a brochure with a coupon for 2 pounds of sandpaper free. Pick up several, and go back, or give em to your family. Smile
Z
Great Scot
View Profile
New user
Bellows Falls, VT USA
58 Posts

Profile of Great Scot
Quote:
On 2003-02-27 06:29, sdgiu wrote:
Chance
G
Ps if you are coming to NC (which at present is the only place where you can find the Woodworking Shop stores), stop at the NC welcome centers at the border. They have a brochure with a coupon for 2 pounds of sandpaper free. Pick up several, and go back, or give em to your family. Smile
Z

Thank you for the tip. My Scottish soul loves getting things for free! <grin>
The Great Scot, Bardic Magician
Bringing Magic To People's Lives
http://www.greatscotmagic.com.
Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Bellows Falls VT
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3395 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Chance,

Great post. Thank you, and I look forward to the other posts in what promises to be a vauable series!

On finishing the edges of plywood, I usually use dimensional wood, usually molding, to finish the edges of my plywood. At least plywood over 1/4 thick. I use glue and small brads to attach it to the edge of the plywood.

Per the suitcase table, won't be building mine till the Fall now. The shop closed for the Summer. Got the drawings all ready to go.

But what is people's opinion about finishing a suitcase table? How many think fabric covering is the way to go and how many would opt for a paint finish?

Thanks.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
457 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Great post, Loved the tips, some of us need all the help we can get; can't wait to see the next ones. (hint hint)

I've seen your website,

http://www.wolfsmagic.com/

and its great, so I'm sure you are very busy, but if you can spare "any" time, we sure would like some more of these great tips.

Thanks
Steve Smile
zzz
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2426 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hey guys,

As you may expect, I am thankfully very busy and have not had time to post further tips. I have a small break coming up and will do my best to get you some new ideas.

Thanks for the kind words,
Chance

Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Chance,

Is it possible for you to compile these tips on your web page for further reference?

I have made my copy, but for other folks so they don't have to dig all through the Café trying to find them.

Now for a question. Have you tried the new automotive paints by Createx that are water based?

Any comments?

Thanks,

Carlos Hampton
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2426 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Carlos,

What a GREAT idea! Smile Thanks, I will definitely do that.

I have heard of that paint but have not yet tried it out. I will order some and post a Pros 'n Cons review. It sure sounds healthier than what I use today...and easier.

Thanks again,
Chance

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6046 Posts

Wolf,

Your web site is looking good. I notice a big improvement with added stuff!

Den
Dennis Michael
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2426 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Thanks Den!

If I had FOUR Extra ARMS there would be even more! Smile

There will be more items coming soon that are not Children's Effects - rather more High-End workers effects.

Lots of cool stuff coming within the next 12 months. We just finished the first run of Blow yur Stack, and Shelley and I need a small break...we be very tired.

Thanks for the compliment Smile

Chance

sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
457 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Thanks Chance.

Take your much deserved/needed rest, because we want you to come back and continue to amaze and inspire us.

Steve Smile
zzz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building Tip #1 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL