The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Vernon's Out Of This World » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hi everyone!

What a great effect!

Are any of you currently doing Vernon's version?

Can you refer me to other versions that may be a little better!
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Matt
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Matt
Our own Scott Guinn has a powerful one.

Matt
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
578 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
For me, the cleanest looking is Paul Curry's original. I haven't seen Vernon's version (and wasn't aware that he had one), but I think most of the others complicate the effect.

Derren Brown's version is quite impressive as it frames the effect much better than, "Just deal the cards and see what you get. Wow! You must be magic, look at this!"
It's one of the only routines of this nature that I have actually sat down and learnt!

--Andi
Tilt
View Profile
Veteran user
L.A.
387 Posts

Profile of Tilt
Harry Loraynes Out of this Universe from Close up Card Magic.

Tilt
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1144 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Just read up on Garry Oulette's impromptu version; worth a look!
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
1977 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
My favorite version is Paul Harris's Galaxy, which eliminates the funny stuff in the middle. Haven't seen Vernon's though.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
904 Posts

Profile of Martino
I second Andi Gladwins recommendation of Derren Browns version on his video "The Devils Picturebook." It's very clean! Also, if you get the chance to view the video check out the hilarious Guy Hollingworth mickey take after the closing credits. I had tears rolling down my cheeks (facial ones obviously!)
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
IanB
View Profile
Regular user
England
129 Posts

Profile of IanB
I agree with Tilt.

The best version is unquestionably "Out of this Universe."

For an impromptu method Roy Johnson's "Un-Worldly" from his book "Second Time Around" Page 35, takes some beating Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
FINALLY A DADDY!
6494 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Stewart James has an outstanding version in "The James File."

P.S. Thanks, Matt!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn (Finally a daddy!) @ScottFGuinn
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
325 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
My favorite is Steve Draun's. They deal through once, you assemble, you spread or deal. Cleaner than Galaxy. If there are two participants to involve, John Kennedy's is VERY strong.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
spfranz
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
137 Posts

Profile of spfranz
My favorite is J.C. Wagner's. Totally impromptu - starts with having the spectator shuffle the deck. Only uses half the deck (cuts out some of the dealing time), and has a prediction kicker ending where you've predicted the only couple cards they "missed".
Never ask a dog to watch your food.
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Thanks everyone!

I'll be looking into other versions as well!
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
maurile
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
102 Posts

Profile of maurile
Gene Grant's impromptu method is taught on Michael Ammar's video, The Exciting World of Magic.
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
I vote for Paul Harris's Galaxy. Three reasons:
1- You do a real riffle shuffle before the trick starts.
2- They deal straight thru without stopping
3- Final display is super convincing and clean. Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Thomas Hudecsek
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Thomas Hudecsek
even if it is not the same effect as "out of this world" I get the strongest reactions with Harry Loraynes "out of this universe"

when performing out of this world, I only use the Lorayne version out of "my favorite card tricks" impromptu out of this world.

in my opinion, J. C. Wagners prediction of the mistakes is an anticlimax. At least when I performed it. I get stronger reactions when I stop right after the final revelation of the colours.
Smile
Martin_H
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
164 Posts

Profile of Martin_H
I agree with Thomas - "impromptu out of this world" is one of the finest version. I also think a prediction misleads from the (strong) effect of diverting cards by "intuition"
life is real magic
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4267 Posts

Profile of Paul
My favourite version is Curry's own improvement which I came across in his "Special Effects" book years ago. It is also in the new Curry book as The Charm of Luck. Different presentation, less dealing, great trick.

But since someone mentioned James, I must go back and check that out when I get time!

Where is Vernon's version in print Steve?
Don't recall that.

Paul.
NEW:"The Psychic Agent and Other Odd Demonstrations" via www.lybrary.com
Coming soon: Wolf At The Door
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
609 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Daryl's "Out Of This Hemisphere" is worthy of note.

If I remember correctly, it uses far fewer cards than most of the other versions (which makes it move along quite nicely during performance).
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Thomas Hudecsek
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Thomas Hudecsek
"Out of this hemisphere" uses 20 cards.

I performed it often, but interestingly, I don't get the same strong reactions as when performing "impromptu out of this world"
maybe it looks too technical or a little unnatural in my hands?

Smile
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Blackpool, England
278 Posts

Profile of Munskin
I most often perform Paul Harris' version. Although, I hear that Lennart Green's 'Out of this Green world', is also worthy of note.
If you're after a sometimes funny, sometimes useful blog, check out http://johnholtmagic.wordpress.com
You can buy my other ebooks there too! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Vernon's Out Of This World » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.399212 seconds, requiring 74 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [5] [0] [5] [4] [3] [1] [3]