The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What do you think? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
Comments, opinions? This one looks fantastic.

Take a look at the video. I was impressed.

anthony-owen
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Cool, looking forward to some reviews!
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I got this from England a few months ago. It is a very convincing visual illusion that looks impossible, and I have successfully performed it a few times. It is very clever. But, there is one problem. The gaff becomes worn very quickly as you practice...and it does take practice to get the move just right. The gaff is precisely made and wears quickly...you can't make it yourself and the British manufacturer does not have refills available.

So, even though I really like it, it can become an expensive proposition if you practice and perform it a lot. You will soon need a new gaff and currently, you can only get it by buying the whole package. Originally, it cost me over $40 to get it from England. Otherwise, it is a great quick visual trick.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Mark Leveridge does an effecton his new L&L DVD set ( Volume 2 - Envelope ) called "Instant Card Flight". It's the visual vanish of a SIGNED card from a window envelope. The envelope is thentorn up...ready.... the signed card is found reversed in the center of the deck of cards.

To me, the Card being signed makes it far and away a better effect.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
That is pretty nice.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
It looks great, but apart from the fact that you can visually slip the selected card between the two 'hole' cards, how does this differ from 'Hole Sensation'?

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=1256

Check out the video demo there. The card CAN be signed. The demo at JBTV has it signed. It's almost a third of the asking price of this effect, so are there any improvements?

Take care guys,

Logan

P.S. I'm not bashing the effect, it looks wonderful, I just wish to know what the difference is.
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Logan, thanks for sharing that bit of research. I think the card being signed elevates it!

Mark Mason also has a demo of it:
https://vault2.secured-url.com/jbtv/jbma......sortby=1

Chris

Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
There is no comparison. This is far superior to Hole Sensation. In this one, you clearly show three separate cards without any mucking around, then a little flip, and you clearly show that there are now only two cards. In Hole Sensation, you must do some rather obvious putting the 3 cards on the deck (for no reason) and some rather obvious switching. This looks like real magic. Go back and look at the video clips.

This is a fabulous trick, as I say...the only problem is the need for new gaffs when they wear out.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Hi Glenn!!

I prefer effects where the card is signed, that's why I raised the issue.

The demo for this surpasses Sankey for most annoying person, so it's difficult to watch with the sound on.

Hole Sensation does have some mucking around, but I can already see ways to improve it to get around that.

However, the video for Hole Sensation has some things going on that some may not like. The card is forced and then it's signed but not accross the face as Mark usualy asks for. It's signed at the top. That's ok because he's using a 5 of clubs and the middle pip is what's seen through the hole and since it's actually not the signed card, you can't have the sig accross the face.The middle pip is a nice subtlety I think.

Does it create that "Moment of Astonishment"? It would have to in order to justify having a gimmick that will need replacing.

Here's a Café review of Hole Sensation:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

Best,
Chris

sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
Boy that magic chris guy is a world of knowledge...
I think he actually sleeps with magic effects in his hand... hehe
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Quote:
On 2006-10-08 12:23, Glenn Godsey wrote:
There is no comparison. This is far superior to Hole Sensation. In this one, you clearly show three separate cards without any mucking around, then a little flip, and you clearly show that there are now only two cards. In Hole Sensation, you must do some rather obvious putting the 3 cards on the deck (for no reason) and some rather obvious switching. This looks like real magic. Go back and look at the video clips.

This is a fabulous trick, as I say...the only problem is the need for new gaffs when they wear out.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey

From watching the video, I agree the gimmick looks more complicated to make, thus the higher price and probably why it is more fragile.
There are some "mucking around" though. The lift off the deck of the gimmick to add and the false count of the three cards.
This one is visible, but I think for practicality and longer performance life, the Hole Sensation seems the better value.
This has been around since the late 70's, mine was made by Don England, and Mason on his clip eludes to this fact by stating they purchased the rights to manufacture this.
I would suggest that if you were having the card signed in Hole Sensation, that you ask the spectator to sign across the top of the card so as not to get writting over the center club pip.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2006-10-10 10:49, RC4MAG wrote:
There are some "mucking around" though. The lift off the deck of the gimmick to add and the false count of the three cards.

There is no false count of three cards. One thing I don't like about the demo is that he makes it look like a false count, but I don't do that count...because there really are three cards and there is no need for that suspicious looking count.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Anybody else have this for a review?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-10-09 23:18, sleightofhand1 wrote:
Boy that magic chris guy is a world of knowledge...
I think he actually sleeps with magic effects in his hand... hehe

Well.. I go to bed thinking about magic. I do have cards and coins on the nightstand.

Chris

RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
I liked the fact in Hole Sensation, it uses 2 Jokers with holes, whereas this one uses number cards. It seems more logical to destroy/put holes in Jokers rather than usable cards.

Glenn, with this one, can you use/force any card or does it have to be a face card (as in the video)?

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Maforen
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Maforen
I was going to buy this but now I wont, I don't like paying almost 50 dollas with shipping then have he gimmick wear out.... it beocmes a real waste of money. I prefer to buy things that last for my hard earned money. The effect does look nice, but gimmicks have to last for me to pay for them. I am sure another will find a way to do this effect without paying for fragil gimmicks that last months then gone, unless your loaded with money and just spend another 50 for another gimmick to me this is not worth the price. If it was cheaper then I would go for it but far too much for ONE CARD TRICK when I can buy a DVD that has many tricks, at least I can find some there to safisfy me and the DVD last forever..
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I can think of several effects with fragile gimmicks off the top of my head. I agree that it's no fun to purchase an effect, pay good bucks for it, and then have the durn thing wear out before you even get to present it to an audience!

It's crazy to invest hours of your life into practicing something, and then it's all for naught if your gimmick breaks or wears out.

One exception was my "Bloom Gimmick" What a fabulous versatile card gimmick! Mine wore out BUT, I figured out how to remake the thing, so I'm pretty much set for life. Good thing too, because you can't get them on the market anymore, as far as I know.

But I have certainly "been there done that".
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2006-10-08 12:23, Glenn Godsey wrote:
There is no comparison. This one is far superior to Hole Sensation. In this one, you clearly show three separate cards without any mucking around, then a little flip, and you clearly show that there are now only two cards. In Hole Sensation, you must do some rather obvious putting the 3 cards on the deck (for no reason) and some rather obvious switching. This looks like real magic. Go back and look at the video clips.

It seems like this is a "magician fooler" but Hole Sensation would get the same reaction from a lay audience. You reference "rather obvious switching." It might be "rather obvious" to us as magicians, but to a layperson, they see the back of their card through the holes, then you turn it over and they see the front of their card through the holes. In the JB demo, he even has the spectator put the card between the jokers. So they clearly are shown three separate cards because they've handled them and made the "sandwich" themself.

Someone even mentioned the discrepancy of Mark asking the spectator to sign the top rather than across the whole card like he usually does. Only we, as magicians, are watching these demo videos and would notice that the spectator is asked to sign the card in a different location than "normal." If you play it off casually when directing them where to sign, no one should suspect there's a reason your having them sign at the top. I would recommend not doing this for friends or family if you "usually" have them sign across the whole face, but only "repeat customers" like that ought to notice any change from the norm.

Again, just my opinion, but the visible sliding of the chosen card between the other cards seems to be the only improvement. I'll concede that it is a nice touch, but is it worth the extra $ when the audience percieves the same effect?
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Baggins
View Profile
Regular user
london
148 Posts

Profile of Baggins
I have never dissapointed in anything that tufty has put out with the possible exception of when he did tom Mullicas act.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Quote:
On 2006-10-08 13:24, MagicChris wrote:
The demo for this surpasses Sankey for most annoying person, so it's difficult to watch with the sound on.

Chris,

If you think he's annoying on the demo, you ain't seen nuthin'...the demo is taken from the instructional DVD that accompanies the effect, and it is positively THE worst instructional video I've seen in a long time (I think only "Stealth Assassin Wallet" comes close.) It goes ON and ON and ON, mainly because the annoying person onscreen insists on riffing, with a ton of unfunny asides, many of which are lewd, interacting with the cameraman, interacting with nobody, and taking just for-f'ing-EVER to get to the actual instruction...which is broken up with more and more asides, dull jokes, and general masturbatory rambling.

Jamy Ian Swiss has a great article in Issue 6 of ANTINOMY, and part of it touches on the trend towards horrendous video instruction that accompanies many items these days. (As an example, he talks about a "commercial mentalism" prop's two DVDs full of long-winded instruction, and I'm certain he's talking about the Stealth Assassin Wallet.) I think the HOLEY SH*T DVD is a perfect example. A couple of pages of carefully-worded instruction would've been infinitely preferable.

--Josh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What do you think? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL