The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best Performing Card Magicians Today (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
toonomads
View Profile
Regular user
Albuquerque, NM, USA
172 Posts

Profile of toonomads
I saw Juan Tamariz at FISM 2000 in Lisbon keep everyone spellbound for about an hour with just a deck of cards.
Irtaza
View Profile
Elite user
& Basketballer Ontario,Canada
458 Posts

Profile of Irtaza
Roy Walton is amazing, definately him.Jerry Sadowitz is also a very good cardman, I suspect he'd have a lot of great material by now.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2006-10-26 02:42, Bema wrote:
. . . Jon Armstrong, Greg Wilson, Aaron Fisher, John Carney and Dorian Rhodell. . . .

I trust you mean Gregory Wilson. Greg Wilson - Mark Wilson's son - is somebody different. Very different.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
I thought Mark Wilson's son was a hard core card guy....
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ricky Jay and Persi Diaconis. For fun and chops... Steve Valentine.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Hi Vinny, Hi Pete.

Can you tell us more about Steve Valentine's performance?
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Roland
View Profile
New user
Arizona
37 Posts

Profile of Roland
Juliana Chen and An Ha Lim have amazing card skills but we normally think of card magicians as "on a table". What about Ricky Jay, Bill Malone, Richard Turner, Lennart Greene, Juan Tamariz? Wow, there are so many excellent performers. My full list is here: https://www.carnivalofillusion.com/best-......time.php
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2018, Roland wrote:
Juliana Chen and An Ha Lim have amazing card skills but we normally think of card magicians as "on a table". What about Ricky Jay, Bill Malone, Richard Turner, Lennart Greene, Juan Tamariz? Wow, there are so many excellent performers. My full list is here: https://www.carnivalofillusion.com/best-......time.php

Hi Roland,
It's certainly an entertaining read but it would be nice to see another article focusing on whom you think the best close up card magicians are. Stage manipulation is obviously not the same and there were many masters conspicuously absent from your list. I hasten to add that really, such an undertaking is virtually impossible and will always invite debate. Your criteria were unclear with regard to the subject of this thread. I would offer that Bill Malone of course deserves to be on your list but your inclusion of Juliana Chen is rather curious.

I mentioned names. I'm curious why performers such as Harry Lorayne, Michael Vincent, Derek Dingle, Darwin Ortiz, Arturo Ascanio, Fred Robinson, Jean Jacques Sanvert, Dai Vernon, Ed Marlo, and Paul LePaul to name but a handful didn't even garner an honorable mention. The omissions of Vernon and Marlo are especially surprising if one of your criteria is technical skill. Vernon and Marlo could well be analogous to Shakespeare and Chaucer. I am not flaming you. Rather I am curious at your omission of these two titans who are widely held as the two who defined modern card magic. I'm also curious about the lack of discussion of guys like Andi Gladwin, Joshua Jay, Daniel Garcia, Dani DaOrtiz, and Kostya Kimlat again to name a handful.

Some of your choices were brilliant such as Juan Tamariz, Ricky Jay, Bill Malone, and the late master Rene Lavand; kudos for recognizing them.

Thanks for taking a moment to read my post and if you have a moment to reply, I would be grateful!

Best,
Vlad
Roland
View Profile
New user
Arizona
37 Posts

Profile of Roland
Hello Vlad_77! My criteria was rather simple. At the top of the page, it states "our criteria for this list is for magical card entertainers, we're not looking at influencers, scholars, mechanics, historians, or other branches of card magicians." Entertainment was more important for the list than technical prowess.

It was quite difficult to order artistic ventures and as you state, the undertaking will always cause debate. In the end, I chose to list 10-6 for those with essentially one or two great entertaining acts with cards. 5-1 with much broader entertaining repertoires with cards. I didn't break the list into stage and close-up with cards as I felt entertainment is entertainment, it doesn't matter if I'm seated 3 feet or 30 feet away.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, Roland wrote:
Hello Vlad_77! My criteria was rather simple. At the top of the page, it states "our criteria for this list is for magical card entertainers, we're not looking at influencers, scholars, mechanics, historians, or other branches of card magicians." Entertainment was more important for the list than technical prowess.

It was quite difficult to order artistic ventures and as you state, the undertaking will always cause debate. In the end, I chose to list 10-6 for those with essentially one or two great entertaining acts with cards. 5-1 with much broader entertaining repertoires with cards. I didn't break the list into stage and close-up with cards as I felt entertainment is entertainment, it doesn't matter if I'm seated 3 feet or 30 feet away.

Roland,

Thank you for the reply! Yes entertainment is entertainment and magic is a performing art and in that sense your article was wonderful. I guess I should have read your criteria at the top more closely but I wanted to get to da list. Smile

Best,
Vlad
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1065 Posts

Profile of helder
Juan Tamariz and Bill Malone.
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
I was able to find some video of John Guastaferro.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin

That's some of Jamy Iam Swiss.

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Eric Mead and Derek Del Gaudio are near the top of my list of today's best performers.

Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Jared Kopf.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
The more I read this thread, the more I'm reminded about a lot of the greats that I still haven't seen perform in person -_-

AsL
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
I'm glad to know now about Jared Kopf.

KokoB
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of KokoB
For me its Helder Guimaraes, Dereck Delgaudio & Mike Pisciotta,They have skills like no one I've seen.. & are so down to earth that they will help you with moves & theory of magic. I personally have asked for help with everyone of them & never got a no. Their skills are so good I have been to lectures & workshops with these guys & you will learn something for sure.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best Performing Card Magicians Today (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL