The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card College Light by Roberto Giobbi (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Card College Light - Roberto Giobbi

This Is Not Your Father’s “Self-Working” Card Book!

From the author of Card College, the world’s most acclaimed course on sleight-of-hand card magic, comes Card College Light, Roberto Giobbi’s first text focused entirely on professional caliber card tricks requiring no manipulative skill.

For whom is this book intended?

It is for beginners, of course—but by no means in total. This book is intended for everyone who has always wanted to perform card tricks, but who didn’t have the time necessary to learn complex routines, or the years necessary to master difficult techniques. So, yes, this book is certainly meant for beginners.

However, it is also directed at those who are already proficient in the craft. Card College Light is in a class apart from other books that focus on sleightless card tricks. When it comes to artistic considerations—interpretation, staging, communication and psychology—other books seldom even recognize such concepts. Card College Light strives to remain as simple as possible, yet to identify concepts and to open doors that put sleightless tricks into the context of artistic and utterly baffling card magic. Although other books consider the same type of material, their approaches to it are quite different from Giobbi's.

Most of the tricks taught are from Mr. Giobbi’s active professional repertoire, with which he baffles the public and magicians, too. Every trick can be done with any deck of cards of average quality, and many can be done under all performance conditions, with a borrowed deck and no preparation. With these sleightless tricks, you can easily acquire a reputation as a magician who can really make magic.

When It Comes to Great Card Magic
There Is More to the Secret Than Just the Secret!

Countless books on card magic promise tricks that “require no skill” and are “easy to do” or “self-working”. They expose the method behind the tricks, but they fail to explain how the tricks are made genuinely amazing. Card tricks that allow the fingers to remain idle require that their methods be cunningly protected through presentation and psychology, which in turn amplify the feeling of real magic. Without these things, all you are left with are mere puzzles.

Giobbi brings his widely respected talents as both teacher and full-time performer to bear on tricks he has selected from time-tested classics and little-known modern miracles by world masters, taught with a thoroughness that includes psychology, presentations, scripts and invaluable performance tips.

21 Tricks - 7 full routines - 170 pages in hardcover

Giobbi has also organized these tricks into powerful routines, which teach the reader how organization and combination can be used to make good tricks even more inextricably baffling. These lessons serve not only the beginner, but also the advanced card-magician who wishes from time to time to include a trick wherein the audience can stare relentlessly at the fingers without discovering a thing.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I order almost every new book that is comming out from Hermetic Press, including this one.
$35.00 is a bargain.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1611 Posts

Profile of bugjack
When is this coming out?
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Hopefully november 22th, according to Stephen Minch.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
MANOS FRIAS
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
126 Posts

Profile of MANOS FRIAS
A magic spanish editor named Páginas published a few years ago a three volumes set titled "Trilogía Light" (Roberto Light, Roberto Extralight, Roberto Superlight), forewored by Pepe Carroll. One of the volumes are seven complete routines, as Card College Light. Are the same? Trilogia Light are three "self-working" books with complete pattern It contains tricks from Tamariz, Richard Vollmer, Vernon, ..and complete reference notes.
This is my first post here, I hope this helps.
Greetings from Spain.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1378 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
The first title ( Roberto LIGHT )was already published in French a couple months ago.This version was published in June 2006 and has 120 pages.

They will follow as stated in the French version with Roberto Extra light and Super light as well.

I figure that the French version was a translation of the Spanish version published in 1988.

The English version is only a translation of the previous ones in French and Spanish.

So it is not totally new stuff.

But I can say that Roberto light contains solid easy to do card tricks from Juan Tamariz, Bob hummer ,Eddie Fields ,J.C. Wagner , Frank Garcia,Richard Vollmer and Dai Vernon.

There is also a routine similar to Shuffle-Bored based on a Simon Aronson idea.

Quote:
On 2006-10-27 08:27, MANOS FRIAS wrote:
A magic spanish editor named Páginas published a few years ago a three volumes set titled "Trilogía Light" (Roberto Light, Roberto Extralight, Roberto Superlight), forewored by Pepe Carroll. One of the volumes are seven complete routines, as Card College Light. Are the same? Trilogia Light are three "self-working" books with complete pattern It contains tricks from Tamariz, Richard Vollmer, Vernon, ..and complete reference notes.
This is my first post here, I hope this helps.
Greetings from Spain.
QUEBEC MAGIC FESTIVAL - MAY 4-7 2017 . QUEBEC CITY , CANADA .
MANOS FRIAS
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
126 Posts

Profile of MANOS FRIAS
Some more authors from Light Trilogy (spanish version): Al Leech, Ronadl Wohl, Phil Goldstein, Racherbaumer, Ken Krenzel, Larry Becker, Paul Curry, Martin Gardner, Stewart James, Colombini, ... besides Roberto Giobbi himself.
MANOS FRIAS
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
126 Posts

Profile of MANOS FRIAS
Some more authors from Light Trilogy (spanish version): Al Leech, Ronadl Wohl, Phil Goldstein, Racherbaumer, Ken Krenzel, Larry Becker, Paul Curry, Martin Gardner, Stewart James, Colombini, ... besides Roberto Giobbi himself.
MANOS FRIAS
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
126 Posts

Profile of MANOS FRIAS
More about Card College Light: Chris from lybrary.com informs that this book will be in e-book format (as german edition is already in that format), and confirm that is Light Trilogy volume 1 (Roberto Light in spanish). So, it could contain seven complete routines, with three effects each one, from authors such as Tamariz, Bob Hummer, JC Wagner, L. Jennings, B. Cervon,
Al Leech, Richar Vollmer and Dai Vernon, besides Giobbi himself, and a brief introduction about pattern of semi-automatic card tricks.
Each effect has complete pattern, and finish with "afterthoughts" (like Lorayne) and bibliographic notes.
I reccomend these books.
Chris
View Profile
Special user
lybrary.com
977 Posts

Profile of Chris
Quote:
On 2006-10-27 14:34, RIVARDJLR wrote:
I figure that the French version was a translation of the Spanish version published in 1988.

The original is the German edition. As far as I know all other foreign language translations have been prepared from the German one.
The complete German trilogy as ebook is here: http://www.lybrary.com/roberto-light-trilogie-p-289.html

And as has been mentioned before, the english ebook will be released probably in September for $26.

Best,
Chris....
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1405 Posts

Profile of Cain
Any reviews for this book?
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2482 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Since the shipment of the book has been delayed until at least December 4th, there probably won't be many reviews of this book until later.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."

-Pop Haydn
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1405 Posts

Profile of Cain
Argh! Thanks, Barry. I thought it was supposed to ship on the 22nd. I wondered why there was a dearth of discussion on this exciting book.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
So ROBERTO LIGHT will become CC LIGHT.

Will the other two books also be published?
Cards never lie
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Phoenix, Az
377 Posts

Profile of atucci
Received mine today!
Tony Tuccillo

Phoenix, AZ
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Atucci,

please post a review, once you have digested it.
Thanks
Andy
Cards never lie
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2482 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Roberto Giobbi’s Card College Light
Professional Card Magic Without Sleight-of-Hand

Before Roberto Giobbi wrote the Card College series, he wrote a series of books about card magic that doesn’t require sleight-of-hand. This book contains seven mysterious routines with cards, a total of 21 card tricks. Each trick in each routine is relatively easy to do. You may have seen some of the tricks that are described because some of them are already found in Giobbi’s Card College series and others are fairly well known. So why should you consider purchasing this book?

Roberto Giobbi has created simple, direct, and magical presentations for these familiar effects that are a nice lesson in presenting magic with clarity. Giobbi shows you how to obtain a strong impact from simple effects. More importantly, Giobbi has created routines where each self-working effect is part of a plan to create a magical impression. Each routine is an object lesson in creating magic that has a certain gestalt.

Gestalt - a configuration, pattern, or organized field having specific properties that cannot be derived from the summation of its component parts; a unified whole.

The routines have been cunningly constructed to hide the simple modus operandi behind the tricks. The book is an object lesson in how to combine effects so that the cumulative impact of a routine is way out of proportion to the difficulty of material that has been performed.

Giobbi also provides some suggestions for using sleights to further increase the impact of the routines, and he provides some nice sources for additional study. My only complaint is that he cites a couple of Frank Garcia books that are fairly hard to find.

Grade (for the beginner) A The book provides the beginner with good, solid material that will increase the chance for early success in card magic. Giobbi also provides the information necessary for the beginner to take his or her first steps into sleight-of-hand magic.

Grade (for the experienced conjuror) B- It’s not quite as ambitious as the Card College series, but the lessons in routine construction are worth careful consideration.
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."

-Pop Haydn
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1405 Posts

Profile of Cain
Thanks for the review, Barry. Anybody else?

PapaG
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Anyone have an idea when Murphy's are going to get the two new Hermetic Press books?
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
772 Posts

Profile of magico
Quote:
On 2006-12-11 15:06, PapaG wrote:
Anyone have an idea when Murphy's are going to get the two new Hermetic Press books?

They already have them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card College Light by Roberto Giobbi (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL