The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Blizzard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

budsie175
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of budsie175
I am fascinated with the demos of Blizzard and assume from the discussions there is a deck switch involved. Having limited use of one of my hands, I can't perform all moves needed to perform all sleights. Is there any way to find out what is involved without stepping out of bounds here? A PM would be welcome if preferred.
Bud
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
It'd be hard to judge, best bet is to go to a brick and morter magic shop and chat with the nice man behind the counter, he'll be able to help.
However, don't worry too much about one trick... there are thousands of great tricks out there that you can do, Blizzard is only one. If your hand is really bad, then you really, really want to check out the work of Rene Levand.
Paul
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I agree with Paul (on all points).

I will add this though. The deck switch in Blizzard is great and not hard to pull off at all. It's the kind of thing that at first you won't think it'll work but it blows right over people.

If you can hold a deck of cards in dealers grip with your bad hand then you should have any problem with this deck switch. It's very deceptive and done at a moment with strong misdirection.

It is possible to do it with one hand (nothing in the instructions say this but it is possible). If you pick it up and find you can't do it very well with your bad hand then let me know and I'll tell you how to do it one handed. It would take stronger misdirection but I could share it with you to try out.

I don't think you'll have much trouble though.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
budsie175
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of budsie175
I would assume then that is basically a two handed operation?
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
If you can do the fallowing:

Hold a deck of cards in your left hand.
Pick up another deck of cards from the table with your right hand and put them in your left hand.
Put both decks in your pocket with your left hand.
(Hands used can be reversed)

If you can do that then you'll have no problem performing the required switch for this trick. That's all your really need to do. The gimmick will do the rest for you. You really don't have to do any Sleight of hand (No palming or any sleight like that).

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
vance2276
View Profile
New user
Montana
72 Posts

Profile of vance2276
Budsie,

It requires 2 hands, but not any complicated moves (see demo at Penguin magic). If you can hold a deck of cards in either hand or pick up a deck with either hand, you can probably do this trick. I believe it can be modified for one hand, but I think the effect would lose something or be more exposed.

If you are really limited, I agree with an earlier post about Rene Lavand. He is a one-handed magician that does some amazing tricks.

Mike
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I think I can explain the one handed way to do it without giving away the method. Those who have it will understand.

Place the deck next to the card box and as they are mixing up the 4 cards (If you're doing the routine that came with it) you can do the secret move and switch the deck right on the table. Misdirection is needed but if you don't call attention to it they won't see anything.

It kind of reminds me of a routine that I think was in one of Paul Harris' Art of astonishment books. I believe the effect was called the light and heavy dime.

Ron Jaxon

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Blizzard (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL