The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Favourite shops for magic books? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I like L&L publishing: free shipping and a good selection of books. Any other good stores specializing in magic books out there?
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
MagicBooksByPost in the UK are excellent. I've found a few hard to find (not hundreds of dollars on ebay hard-to-find, but hard to find nonetheless) books here, and the service is nice, the owners are friendly.

I've never had any problems dealing with the actual publishers of the books when I've bought them, so I generally try to buy from Kaufman and Greenberg, Squash Publishing etc directly.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Kimura, I checked out Magicbooksbypost:what a great selection! The only problem is shipping to Canada will probably make these books too expensive. Nevertheless, if I can't find a book elsewhere, I will take the shipping hit. Thanks for that!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
H & R Magic Books at www.magicbookshop.com
MANOS FRIAS
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
126 Posts

Profile of MANOS FRIAS
A little problem with magicbypost is that they don,t update the books for sale (for example, I ordered Collected Works Elmsley vol.2 and it,s "available" yet), but the service is excellent and delivery time and shipping cost to Spain are reasonable. And, the most important, there are books hard to find.

With H&R Magic Books, I have bad experience: In two times I ordered something "available", misteriously was out of stock just a few hours later.

Recently I,ve ordered to Meir Yedid and The Magic Warehouse, but it´s soon to opine.

In Spain, I,m very comfortable with Tiendamagia (sales on line only)
(search tiendamagia.com), they import the books you need at reasonable prices.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Justin, coincidentally I happened upon H&R's web site last night. I was thrilled (and quite amazed) to see that they have Derren Brown's Pure Effect, which is a very hard to find book! I quickly ordered it. I just hope, as Manos said, that I don't get an email telling me they're out of stock!
sparks
View Profile
New user
Charlottesville, Virginia
89 Posts

Profile of sparks
By all means only a very small subset of the better dealers… these are the ones I have had good experiences with... and what I have purchased from them...

Daytona Magic – books
Ellusionist – books and cards
Hank Lee – books and an occasional close-up item
Wizard Craft – JOL wallets
Sparks

It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Sparks, I've also had good experiences with Hank Lee and Wizardcraft. I plan to be in Miami in January, so I'll have a chance to check out Daytona in person. Thanks for the links!
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Maybe you need to go the shop to appreciate it, but Denny and Lee's has an astounding selection in stock.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Hi,

I am also in Canada so I understand the cost associated with books due to their weight.
My choice is usually stores who offer free shipping to Canada.
Currently, my favourite is MJM Magic.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Mark, I checked Denny and lee's website, and they do have a great selection. Great reference!
Phil, MJM is a big winner! Great selection and free shipping to Canada! Thanks so much for that one.
Richard Hatch
View Profile
Regular user
Logan Utah
127 Posts

Profile of Richard Hatch
Todsky, PURE EFFECT is still in stock, new, at H & R Magic Books and your order will likely go out tomorrow if it has not been shipped already (I have been out of town since Thursday and won't know till I go to the shop tomorrow whether Ricky Smith got the order and shipped it before leaving for MINDvention in Las Vegas yesterday).
Manos mentions having twice ordered items listed as "available" on our website only to find that they were not in stock. This does happen as we are not an internet only shop and it takes us some time to update the website when things are sold offline, via phone, in shop, and convention sales. As he noted, as soon as the discrepancy was discovered, those items were removed from the website to avoid further such problems with those items. Just as there are likely a few items still listed on our website as being in stock which are not (and we remove them as soon as we discover that to be the case!), so too there are literally hundreds of titles in stock, new and used, which are not yet listed on our website. Some of these we have set aside to sell on eBay, but most we simply have not yet had time to add to our active inventory. But we encourage clients to let us know what they are looking for, even if we do not show it listed on our website, as there is a good chance we do have it and can provide it at a reasonable price. Thanks for checking out out website. We expect PURE EFFECT to be out of stock (and therefore out of print, since we are the publishers) very soon, likely before the end of this year, and it will not be reprinted, at the author's request.
Richard Hatch
www.HatchAcademy.com
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Hi,
I have a bad experience ordering first time from Hanklee, I ordered 2 books 2 months ago but never receive the package. The cost already charged to my CC, I tried to contact them by email (couple of times) but no response at all!
I am not the only one who has bad experience with Hanklee, there is another discussion about Hanklee in "A Tangled Web We Weave..." forum.
I am happy with service from http://www.themagicwarehouse.com, http://www.magicbookshop.com, http://www.llpub.com, and http://www.elmwoodmagic.com.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Richard, thanks for the assurances! I'm very excited to get Pure Effect. Just the fact that you are the only place where I was able to find this book, and that you have addressed concerns on this Magic Café thread, speaks well for your shop in my estimation.

Jeff: I've never had a problem with Hank Lee. Sometimes, when email doesn't get a response, it's more effective to phone the store: a live voice can do wonders.
MANOS FRIAS
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
126 Posts

Profile of MANOS FRIAS
I´ve just received from Magicbooksbypost (Bristol) the Vernon Chronicles volume 4, book hard to find, in only three days to Spain and at reasonable price. I,m going to open it for Christmas.
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Quote:
On 2006-11-06 07:57, todsky wrote:
Jeff: I've never had a problem with Hank Lee. Sometimes, when email doesn't get a response, it's more effective to phone the store: a live voice can do wonders.

Based on the discussion in the other forum, Hanklee has a good response on phone but never via e-mail. This is a shame for a store that sell their items world wide via the internet, to me Hanklee is not doing their business profesionaly. I am thinking to contact them by phone but the cost from my country will be closed to the book price.. :-( with the possibility not to receive the book anyway (or maybe I can use the phone cost to order the book from another dealer).

How about http://www.mymagic.com (Meir Yedid)? anybody who lives outside US and Canada have any thought?

Thanks,

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
"I am thinking to contact them by phone but the cost from my country will be closed to the book price."

I hear ya, Jeff. It is too bad that Hank Lee's doesn't respond to your emails. I'm lucky here in Canada to have cheap long-distance rates so I can nudge store owners by phone when I need to.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Thanks for the link to H & R Books - wonderful selection
MANOS FRIAS
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
126 Posts

Profile of MANOS FRIAS
I have a good experience with Meir Yedid, but only with DVD. Order to Spain at reasonable price and fast delivery.
Schmecal
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
70 Posts

Profile of Schmecal
I was actually able to find a brand new copy of "Effortless Card Magic" from Magic Books By Post last spring. I couldn't believe that I had actually found a copy! So, after looking constantly on Ebay and all over the web for "Pasteboard Presentations, Vol. 1" with no luck, I looked on MBbP's web site just to make sure I covered all my bases. They had it and I received it on Saturday. I can't say enough good things about this store! Denny at Denny & Lee's is a great guy who really knows his ****. I'm lucky enough to be able to visit the shop. Same with Howard at the Magic Warehouse. Both are really good guys!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Favourite shops for magic books? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL