The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Simple yet effective Torn And Restored (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
If you're looking for an anytime, anywhere signed T&R, with no preparation, Hoodwink meets that criteria.

If you want something with minimal preparation, instant reset, made for strolling, A Little T&R by Jason Dean is perfect.

If you want something with the beauty of Hollingworth's Reformation, without the difficulty, John Lovick's Reparation is good. (Though it does still require practice).
kalsolar
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of kalsolar
Torn would be my number one for pure visual "wow" magic, but not ideal for walk-around as there are angle issues and ideally you need to be a few feet away from those you are performing for. Otherwise excellent.

Paul Harris's ultimate rip-off is also excellent, no real angle problems (except directly behind) however, its a 3-piece restoration and I've never found a plausible excuse for not restoring the final piece. Very good otherwise.

Reparation is good, but a fake signature is involved so again you can't do it too close-up in my view.
Kyle007
View Profile
New user
Toronto
24 Posts

Profile of Kyle007
Hey guys as far as visual goes not anytime anywhere really but as people have suggested Guy's Reformation is beautiful. I'm usually set up for Torn as well really nice one as well. Ultimate Rip-off is another good one I don't do it much but it does fit your criteria. Another good one I like to do is J.C Wagner's Torn and Restored Card which I learnt on Easy to Master Card Miracles Volume 5.I do different routines depending on my venue/crowd it's nice to learn many routines so you can always be ready. Just a note Guy's Reformation is a pretty tough routine but is worth the practice.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2007-02-16 23:39, Kyle007 wrote:
Just a note Guy's Reformation is a pretty tough routine but is worth the practice.

Pfeh, I can do it in my sleep. That is to say, only in my dreams. Smile
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
I studied Torn for a month and found that it geats great reactions, so I haven't felt the need to explore others.

There are some great references in this post though that I will have to explore.

will//
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Definitely poke around, but some will naturally lend themselves better to a certain environment than others. I won't go into any more detail, as I've already mentioned all I felt necessary in my initial post.
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
I strongly agree with cosmicsecret & kaliix, despite Garcia's version of "Torn" being extremely strong, "Torched & Restored" hits the spectator's hard. Adding a bit of fire to the routine takes it to that next level. Not only have you ripped the selected card up, but you've set it on fire as well. I get the best responses with this routine.
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
another guest
View Profile
Regular user
.Malaysia.
128 Posts

Profile of another guest
Do you guys remember the one that cyril did on one of his street magazine shows? The one he tear and restored a tgi friday's business card? I think that is simple, straight forward and magical.
House
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quarterly Returns is pretty easy. Smile
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
A great one is Jay Sankey's oldie Cardboard Contortionists. I have also created a totally impromptu T&R called Ripped At The Seam, which you can PM me about if you want.

Michael Kras
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Quater;y returns in my opinion is the best Tand R flash restoration effect. great for walk around snd table hopping.

as a opener only, Alex De cova's Flash restoration is hard to beat.

However the best impromnptu effect IMO only using one card no dupes, palming, or gaffs of any kind is my owwn torn and restored
called Warped and restored.
this is a three phase routine thst can be surronded done with any deck even with Taro or business cards...and the card can be signed on either side
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Pathian
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, OH
175 Posts

Profile of Pathian
I'll cast my vote for the version of Mendoza's T&R that Geoff Williams teaches on Miracles for Mortals vol 1. It's not a piece by piece restoration, (I do think Torn is the best of those) but you tear the card into eights instead of quarters which is really nice and you can't beat the simplicity. (OK, Kenton Knepper's EZ Torn and Restored card is easier by far, but its not examinable)
aiturran
View Profile
Loyal user
Santiago, Chile
260 Posts

Profile of aiturran
After watching Ammar's rendition of J.C. Wagner Torn and Restored, my vote is for that version.
Simple and yet very effective, ideal for working when you perform from table to table, standing up. I think I'll add this version to my repertoire soon, this effect has to be one of the most beautiful in card magic (in my opinion, of course). Hope people can see that.

Speaking of which, do the people react well to this effect?
(Considering of course it's well performed).
This was part of a conversation where we started to wonder if people really likes the effect and reacts the way it's supposed to.
Of course, this question goes to everyone that has done this to lay people, with experience.

Thanks

Antonio

Antonio
another guest
View Profile
Regular user
.Malaysia.
128 Posts

Profile of another guest
Where can I get Ammar's rendition of J.C. Wagner Torn and Restored?

thanks
House
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Check out Rodney Reyes' Shed a Tear from the School of Hardknocks DVD
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
t-aldehyde
View Profile
New user
Tokushima, Japan
18 Posts

Profile of t-aldehyde
I construct yet another torn and restorerd card routine by joining the beggining phase of Garcia's "Torn" and the last phase of Hollingworth's "Reformation". I aimed the easiness of performance. (For example, using not lips but pocket , write signature not on back but on face freely, not showing the face while restoring etc.) Though these changes I added makes the trick less effective than original routines, I can perform it easily.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W127sdwlXs4

While I was constructing that routine, I noticed that after tearing a card into four pieces in the same way as Hollingworth's "Rerformation" and do the same thing of Wagner's "Torn and Restorerd card" (dispose extra pieces to pocket in the move of heating edges of pieces by the fire of a lighter), we can restore all four pieces of cards. Though it eliminates the effect of restoring pieces one by one, I think it's very easy to perform. Perhaps if we thought and add a little change to tear, we can do it without a duplicate though we need to use an extra. (I won't do it like the way above because it's too less effective for me to perform.)
Masayuki 't-aldehyde' Kozawa
http://t-aldehyde.legerde.main.jp/
(Japanese)
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Doing a "Woodfield" type handling for a Torn and Restored Transpo is something I've played with from time to time.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I have a stupidly simple T&R Card that requires no gaffs or extra cards. Please PM me if you are interested.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Lash
View Profile
Regular user
Lansing, MI
161 Posts

Profile of Lash
Definatley "Torched and Restored." It never fails to get a great reaction. It's not that hard to do either. And when I don't have or can't use a lighter, I use "invisible magic dust" from my pocket (think woofle dust from Tarbell). What I love about it to is that it is so fast and visual and you are left clean right after the restoration. I have always prefered the instant restorations over the slow one-piece-at-a-time one's.
mthomas
View Profile
New user
Denver, Colorado
12 Posts

Profile of mthomas
I think that piece by piece restorations can take too long and by the time the magician has done 2 the audience has seen the magic and is ready to move on, but of course bringing the whole thing to conclusion is important. It just seems that by the time the performer is on the last piece there's no mystery that he's going to do it, so it's somewhat anti-climatic. Hollingsworth's Reformation when done well looks incredible though.

In my opinion, Torn takes too long during the folding, though I think some people have worked on speeding that up.

So I agree with Lash that instant or flash restorations is the way to go, especially if you have a convincer like a signature.

One comment for Lash, you mention ending clean right after the restoration with Torched and Restored, but you don't actually.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Simple yet effective Torn And Restored (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL