The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » HN Magic Review 109: Flashback - Larry Becker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Magic Review 109: Flashback - Larry Becker

AD:

The orginal is back at a new lower price! Larry Becker has devised the most clever, the cleanest Book Test in the history of Book Tests! The effect is totally straightforward. One or more spectators freely select words from a popular paperback book. You are able to instantly divine the selected words! It's incredibly easy to do do. No sleights. No memory work --- the books do it all for you!

The books can be examined from cover to cover! You can have as many words selected as you wish! It can be repeated over and over! Nothing written --- any page used --- no "second looks". You never even know the page number. Comes complete with two paperbacks that can be used together or on its own. Fully routined by Larry Becker.

REVIEW:

A well-produced, very popular but pretty obvious booktest. Cons:
- the paperbacks can’t be examined for too long.
- you obviously need to carry it around if you plan to perform the effect; yes, DUH! but some people asked me if you could adapt the method to your own books, or if it could be performed in other languages etc. the answer is NO.
- it really seems too evident to me.

The effect has sequels, which I didn’t purchase for obvious reasons - so I can’t compare.

OVERALL RATING: below average

H.
Larry Becker
View Profile
V.I.P.
241 Posts

Profile of Larry Becker
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Magico has and continues to publish the original Flashback which has probably sold in the thousands. It consisted of only two paperbacks. It was created 25 years ago. Ultimate Flashback which consisted of four paperbacks was first published in 1992. It is a multi-phased book test which has and is still used by hundreds of mentalists. About three years ago Final Flashback also a multi-phased routine with a killer finish was released. Shame on a supposed reviewer that reviews a quarter of a century old effect and totally ignores the marvelous improved versions that were subsequently published. Shame on stingy, behind the times Harvey. Regards to all-- Larry
Visit our website: www.MentalismUnlimited.com
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Larry,

I find it astonishing that someone would publish a "below average" rating of one of the finest pieces of performance mentalism ever released.

It perhaps would do this reviewer well to update himself with the remarkable Final Flashback etc etc etc.

I do suspect that should he review Double Vision, he would probably dismiss it as lacking somewhat in the tourist information department.

Best thoughts & be well

Gerry Hennessey
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

www.MindEffex.com
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
756 Posts

Profile of leondo
[quote]On 2006-11-25 18:49, Harvey Nerzof wrote:
...if you could adapt the method to your own books, or if it could be performed in other languages etc. the answer is NO.

Actually it can easily be adapted to other books. I've done it many times. Other languages, the answer is absolutely.

Having used this book test countless times over the years, I disagree with the review posted above, but certainly welcome other views.
Ted L
Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
177 Posts

Profile of Hayre
I wish the original had the 'sound same / look different' feature that one of my Final books has. Or even better, I wish I had a second book with that feature in my Final set.

But that is not my main point here. I USE THE ORIGINAL. There are so many untapped possibilites (though I suspect the more astute have tapped them) with this set due to the simple but overlooked fact that, despite different covers, the text of these two books is identical. Imagine the possibilites here.....

I give the original 4.5 stars out of 5. It is direct, simple, and powerful. Developing a poweful climax is easy given the tidbit I described above. The only thing that would improve the original, in my opinion, is the 'sound alike/look different' modification.

Question to Mr. Becker... Is it possible to buy a book with identical text, but different cover, to pair up with my Final Flahback book which does have the 'sound alike / look different' feature ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » HN Magic Review 109: Flashback - Larry Becker (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL