The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's going on? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi All,

This is directed at absolutely no one specifically, but does it seem like everyone's a bit on edge lately? Post after post seems to be people ripping each other apart and getting into arguments with other people they have never met, seen, or for that matter, heard. It just seems like a bit of a waste of time-not only for the people writing but also for the people reading.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for calling out people who are actually doing ill deeds but some of these discussions are, and this is just my opinion, beyond pointless. How about we all take a big collective deep breath, pause for a second before we write, and ask ourselves, "Am I being helpful?"

Just some thoughts,

Thrash away, lol,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
I was going to say something similar but then realised I was partly quilty.
Anyways I agree and I'll try and stick with positive critisim and do what I can to move topics along
Thanks for giving people a pause
Jeff
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Shut up both of you.

Posted: Dec 5, 2006 12:53pm
Oooops, sorry. ***taking a deep breath****

What I meant to say was "Happy Holidays to you and yours"
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Thanks for the post. As a 'noob' I was quickly getting discouraged reading thread after thread of someone asking a question and the next 20 replies were along the lines of *Do a search you moron!* I understand the frustration of the people that have been using this forum for a long time getting tired of the same topics being rehashed, but instead of venting couldn't someone have posted the link to the thread instead of just going off? (Ok, I have actually seen this happen on more than one occasion, and it seems to be appreciated by the person posting the topic.) Anyway, thanks again for the post.
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Good point...

But here is a question? How can "Jailhouse" be for sale already in the used section. someone bought this for $80 and is selling for $55.

We the reviews alll hype? I don't think so. Bootlegged the originals? more likely. Disheartening ....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I agree with you Jamie. Seems a few egos are flaring out there. Forgetting the Café's principle that this is a discussion forum, sure give your idea, opinion, but don't make it personal.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Jamie ,the answer is fairly plain and is endemic to all Internet forums. And that is the removal of emotion in questions and responses. Some times you don't know if a person is answering forcefully , glibbly , helpfully, sarcastically,etc etc etc . Some people don't translate thought to text very well and some translate to it too well. So yes take a breath and reread the question/response and ask your self would you talk to your mother that way ?

But really what I wanted to say was

Shut up you stupid hacks and stop whining!!... Smile

---- [b]Breath
---
Oops, meant Merry Christmas and may all your days be magical.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I agree that people are a bit on edge with many of the-mails recently. I hope everyone takes a deep breath and, shakes the hand of their neighbor and starts with fresh new positive attitude.

Merry Christmas and may the wind be always at your back.

Derrick
Mr Amazeo
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazeo
You're right Jamie. And I think that may be why I, and maybe others, don't bother posting much. Somebody with a different opinion is always lurking so they can jump down your throat at an opportune moment.
J.Dunaway
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of J.Dunaway
Quote:
On 2006-12-06 22:57, Mr Amazeo wrote:
You're right Jamie. And I think that may be why I, and maybe others, don't bother posting much. Somebody with a different opinion is always lurking so they can jump down your throat at an opportune moment.

There is at least one other on here that agrees with this
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Just make sure when you are out doing your Christmas shopping and that really annoying shopper that won't let you by them or holds up the line has driven you to the edge that you take a deep relaxing breath before coming to the Café.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-12-05 13:26, BobCaldwell wrote:
As a 'noob' I was quickly getting discouraged reading thread after thread of someone asking a question and the next 20 replies were along the lines of *Do a search you moron!* I understand the frustration of the people that have been using this forum for a long time getting tired of the same topics being rehashed, but instead of venting couldn't someone have posted the link to the thread instead of just going off?

Now there's a statement that certainly deserves an unsolicited response that rides the fence... allow me... Smile

1) assuming "20 replies" is a slight exaggeration, the fact remains, once someone has made the point, any redundancies are certainly a waste of everyone's time (much like my reiteration of that statement). Smile

2) It is not unreasonable that the person seeking information should learn the most basic of etiquettes on a forum such as this. (If I am looking for the restroom, my eyes will at least scan the room before I ask someone.)

2a) The time it takes to post the question may have already produced results if the same amount of time had been used to do a keyword search or two.

2b) Initiative is a virtue.

3) The amount of time it takes to post a reply such as, *Do a search you moron!*, could have been used to post a link to a thread that you may already know of that has information related to the question.

3a) Initiative is not distributed equally... neither is patience, but it is also a virtue.

3b) "Why should I do the work, if it's not my problem???"

3b.1) "If it's not your problem, then shut up and stay the H(eck) off this thread... *YOU MORON!!!*

4) (Tongue being removed from cheek after an attempt to humorously strip the point naked.)

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok lets play this game the other way shall we just for a second. And remember in responce to this, please be patient.

I will submit to everyone that not every person here is a talented magician. Not every utterance from everyone is correct. Yes you are entitled to an opinion, but you are not entitled to it being correct.

So when people espouse crazy theories, well then they get angry when they are told different, and then the other side gets angry out of frustration, and bam heated debate.

Nope it is not right, but it is understandable.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Danny has a point that opinions stated as fact (as well as opinions stated as opinions) posted on a public forum are likely to draw some level of debate from those with differing opinions. Granted. Approached rationally and maturely, this can lead to a healthy discourse of ideas.

Jamie's reasonable stance is...if you must challenge a post, target the concept rather than the presenter. Attacking the individual or an idea with baseless comments such as "That's stupid", "You're a Moron" and "What do you expect from a beginner?" serve no rational purpose. Present the LOGIC behind your opposition to a post.

Debate is good. Argument and insult are simply useless noise.

Skip Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's going on? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL