The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review requested for Psychokinetic pen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Anyone have the psychokinetic pen? I'm not interested in penomenon, but I would like to know your thoughts on the psychokinetic pen. Also, does it look like a regular Bic pen? Please advise. Thanks!
Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
215 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
I heard in another review that it was a really excellent and amazing trick.
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
I disagree. I bought a pen and played around with it. It's not very predictable. You wait and wait and then it drops. Whoopee. The first one was defective, and I returned it for another one. That one didn't do anything. I chucked it. I think if you're going to do anything psycho-kinetic, the object should react as though something is affecting it. Not..(waiting).....(waiting).......plop. IMHO
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have to disagree with Bill. I think this is an oustanding product. I performed it for a magically jaded audience. When the pen fell, there was a collective gasp, and then the lady who most loudly proclaimed how hard she was to fool at the beginning said, "That's the best trick I've ever seen!" She later booked me for two shows, based on this one effect.

It is cheaper than Penomenon, more amazing and less likely that a spectator will figure out the secret, as it is significantly more "hands off." I give it my highest recommendation.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
This trick is KILLER!!!!

I have Penomenon and Steve's pk pen works great for that.

I do penomenon first, then say "Let's see if
I can do this a little farther away."

Then set the pen for a little longer [I have found I can set the pen for as long as 45 seconds]

When it falls, they always gasp.

I think really not knowing when it's going to tip is a good convincer.

There is a pregnant pause and anticipation
that would be hard to fake.

I love this trick!

Like all Banacheks stuff, first class.
Cheers,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
spiral-stares
View Profile
New user
New York City
90 Posts

Profile of spiral-stares
On MagicSmith it has a product called "Telekinetic Pen (aka Psychokinetic Pen)." I bought it. It was pretty ghetto. I don't know if it's a knock-off version of Psychokinetic Pen or what. If so, hopefully Banachek's version is better.

All I know is I would set it up, wait a few seconds, then a few minutes, then I'd go get lunch, see a movie, play a round of mini-golf, come home and the pen would be on the floor, at which point I'd think, "Well, either it worked, or my cat knocked it off the table."
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Thanks, everyone, for your opinions! I'm going to trust the positive recommendations and get the pen! Thanks, Jeff
XenoMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Where Am I?
112 Posts

Profile of XenoMagic
It's a great trick... and I love the alternate routine of making it fall off of the spectators hand. It takes a little bit more care in placement, but the reaction you'll get is worth it.

Cygnus
"Watch closely and you'll see that my fingers never leave my hands"
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Leo Martin
<BR><BR>[email]Me@PlanetLeo.com[/email]
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
I agree this is a killer. Go get it. People may think u can move things with your mind you know Smile
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
My pen arrived yesterday, and I LOVE it! Thanks for all of your reviews! -Jeff
ploter
View Profile
New user
france
43 Posts

Profile of ploter
it is a great trick,the effect is very strong. Smile
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 64: PK pen - Banachek

AD:

A Bic brand pen is balanced on the edge of the table and the performer may then walk across the room. After exerting tremendous mental powers directed at the pen, the pen slowly wiggles then moves and finally falls onto the floor! You pick it up, begin to return it to your pocket but instead use it as you would any ordinary pen.
An uncanny display of your mental powers done with an "ordinary" everyday Bic ink pen.
· Each pen prepared by hand
· Includes one gimmicked and one ungimmicked pen

REVIEW:

The pen really works as described, and you could be in the other room when it happens. However, the excellent concept is weakened by a few factors:
- the pen is not a “common” BIC – you hardly see this type of pen around. Perhaps a common Paper Mate would have been much advisable;
- the regular pen provided is different that the gimmicked one!! This is a surprising inconsistency, coming from such a “subtle” thinker;
- the pen does not write – you can’t use it for previous effects. That’s really a pity, I would have paid a lot more for a few inkblots.

Overall rating: good

H.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
What are you talking about, Harvey? If you've got a legit one made by Banachek, he uses the same white Bic Round Stic pens that you see in offices everywhere. They couldn't be more commonly seen, at least in the US. And not only is the ungimmicked pen identical, but you can buy a dozen more duplicates for less than a dollar at any office supply store.

If yours really didn't match and weren't these very common Bics, I'd put money on it that yours wasn't really from Banachek.

As far as it's not writing and thus not being able to be used for previous effects, if you can't manage to switch something as simple as a pen*, you might want to spend less time reviewing products and more time practicing and honing your performance in front of audiences.

With all due respect,
Andy

*-Something easily accomplished while dipping your hand into your pocket between effects, while gesturing with the other hand, or even putting the pen away, doing another effect, and then taking the (other) pen back out.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2003-09-10 06:00, Andy Leviss wrote:
What are you talking about, Harvey? If you've got a legit one made by Banachek, he uses the same white Bic Round Stic pens that you see in offices everywhere. They couldn't be more commonly seen, at least in the US. And not only is the ungimmicked pen identical, but you can buy a dozen more duplicates for less than a dollar at any office supply store.

Andy, the world is bigger than the US

Quote:
If yours really didn't match and weren't these very common Bics, I'd put money on it that yours wasn't really from Banachek.

No: the pen works perfectly, and is identical to the one pictured in the ads. But the regular pen is different (fine/medium point.... some
spectators are sneakier than mentalists)

Quote:
As far as it's not writing and thus not being able to be used for previous effects, if you can't manage to switch something as simple as a pen*, you might want to spend less time reviewing products and more time practicing and honing your performance in front of audiences.
*-Something easily accomplished while dipping your hand into your pocket between effects, while gesturing with the other hand, or even putting the pen away, doing another effect, and then taking the (other) pen back out.

Thanks for this killer technique - please let us know if you plan to publish it.

Best,

H.
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
Harvey,

This is how a switch of this type would typically be done so the sarcasm is unwarranted and seems to show your lack of performing experience. In which case at the bottom of each HN review you should clearly state you don't perform and that's why you're never happy with anything - simply because you are unable to fool anyone with anything you purchase.

Secondly, perhaps you should read some other reviews before you buy. You seem to have an extraordinary amount of bad luck and seem to be wasting a ton of money on material that you can never use in your act.

Marc Climens
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Thanks for signing up Bonzo the Clown, and welcome to the Café.

Just to clarify: I posted a LOT of very positive reviews, please do a search. I also perform regularly PK Pen (as you can see, the rating is "good") - it's just that its lack of attention to details and the US-centric flavor were rather unpleasant.
Sure, the majority of the reviews are critical... check out Max Maven's quote on the matter!

Quote:
On 2003-09-10 15:12, BonzoTheClown wrote:
perhaps you should read some other reviews before you buy.

I do now (thanks to the Magic Café), and have sensibly reduced the amount of junk I purchase. Hence the reviews - it's a way to give something back.

Cheers,

H.
JamesCheung
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK
214 Posts

Profile of JamesCheung
How examinable is the pen? If I was a doubter I would immediately think that the pen was gaffed and would want to examine it. Sorry if this has already been answered before.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
It looks and feels like a normal Bic pen.
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
523 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
If you're looking for the ultimate in pens that move, check out The Cesaral Pen! It's a precision piece of work. It uses NO liquids! No threads. It is ENTIRELY self-contained! You can HAND it out for examination. They will find nothing. It, unlike the others, actually WRITES! AND... it's CLEAR! You can see the ink inside! It's actually a standard Pilot pen. Yet, you place it on the edge of a table, walk away and it slowly moves, then falls. I do it three times in a row, just to freak people out. Then hand them the pen! NO switch! Yes, it's a bit pricey but then again, something this well made is worth it. Check it out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review requested for Psychokinetic pen (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL