The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Children's Entertaining - a 65 year career! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
You probably don't often think about this, but assuming you start performing age 15/16/17 then ours is probably one of the greatest longevity businesses in the world.

It becomes easier with age (especially with the enjoyment factor as mentioned by Peter Marucci in another thread).

It is a fact that elderly people and children always seem to 'hit it off' so well. Recent years saw the deaths of a couple in my locality who were working into their 80s - with a VW camper full of magic props, portable electronic organ, vent. dolls and Punch and Judy show!!

Other occupations with such opportunity of longevity I can bring to mind are: Pope, Russian Premier, Chinese Premier, etc. Surely most average professional musicians and many actors have 'had their day' by such advanced years - but children's entertainers can carry on can't they? as long as you don't eat or drink too much of this... Smile Smile
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Of course, in this profession, you _have_ to keep working in your 80s. As much fun as it is, the lack of any kind of government support makes it tricky.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
That's very funny, Adam!

Like my financial planner said,
"When you're in your 80's, do you want to be a greeter at Walmart because you want to, or because you have to?!"
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Another interesting stat: orchestral conductors are very long lived. Leonard Bernstein mentioned that once. He said it's because you're workign with people, getting them to do all the hard work (no music ever came out of a baton) and waving your arms around constantly for good exercise.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Your Financial Adviser is a wise owl Tim. When I was 21 I had enough money to put a deposit on a house because I had been working a day job and playing piano 4 nights a week. By the time I was 28 I was broke because of stupidity. Now 25 years on finally back on top as an entertainer and landlord of rental property. Keep a close eye on any Stock Market related investments though! and yes Adam, never a truer word said in jest! When you are self employed it's all down to you - although the taxman doesn't forget you does he? Here in Brit. they have a basic State Pension which for a single person equating probably to one 1-hour birthday show per week! and they expect guys who fought on the landing beaches in Normandy, or El Alamein, or were in Jap. POW camps to live in dignity with their wives on this! Your greeter at USA Walmart may well have fought the Japs in the Pacific. I know these jobs keep elderly people 'active' - but this should be a choice, and not a humiliating necessity for them. Sorry to 'be serious' here by the way! (end of speech).
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
In Australia they just kick you in the nuts and tell you to quit leeching.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
" but this should be a choice, and not a humiliating necessity for them. Sorry to 'be serious' here by the way! (end of speech)."

Hi,
This might be true but, there is only so much money in the state pot. I know of quite a few pensioners who where by no means rich or well paid that are quite happy in retirement without having to work as they saved or took out alternative pension arrangements. My mum and Dad retired a couple of years back and they think that retiring was the best thing they have done for a long time. With all the benifits, Free medical, dental, eye care and reduced council tax my parents say that they are really no worse off than when they both worked. A magician friend of mine Don O'brien says much the same thing.
The worst thing is that with the goverments guaranteed pension those who make no efforts at all to make provisions for old age are as well off as those that have!
Phillip
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
I'm only 23, I don't need to make provisions for my old age.

I'll be young forever! Hahahaha!!

Hmm... what's that pain in my lower back? And why is that music so loud?
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi Adam,
I started contibuting to a pension at 18
the younger you start the less you need to put in later
Phillip
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Hello All,

I only started a Private Pension at 38! and Sue's Private Pension less than 10 years ago. So ours will only probably cover utility bills, gas, electric, water etc. Stock Market performance over the past few years has also badly hit growth and final bonuses. Philip's pension should be substantial as prior to 1990's annual bonuses were very good. So we decided to hit into real estate instead. Coming back to my original post - the ability to do just one party a week in your 70s or even 80s could make a big difference to life (with little or no tax to pay). I know you are only joking about living for ever Adam, but b-e-w-a-r-e the onset of time!! Get yourself sorted with some savings scheme you can't get your hands on in a moment of madness to spend on a car or boat! Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Coming back to my original post - the ability to do just one party a week in your 70s or even 80s could make a big difference to life (with little or no tax to pay).

Hi,
I was talking to Gerry Luff (well known for his balloons) and he is in the position you speak of and like you say it helps him a lot and he can pick and chooose what he does.
Phillip
brownsentertainment
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of brownsentertainment
Thought provoking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Children's Entertaining - a 65 year career! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL