The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How good is David Blaine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-01-09 11:21, kammagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-09 05:39, Magical Mike wrote:
Forget that homeless stuff the fact of the mater how do you really rate a performer that can edit everything? that's crazy! Have you seen David do a live stage show? (Yes Street Magicians can do street on the stage!) The answer is NO! I am not knocking David because of him Magic soared up in ratings and stuff but I just can't see how you can say someone is so good when they have an editing team worth millions at their disposal!

So are you saying David is just an actor playing a magician and through creative editing they make him look good? Its pretty obvious that David is performing the effects himself. Any experienced magician can tell he has adequate skills. Many pros only have adequate technical skills. David excels in presentation, showmanship, theatrics, marketing. Too many young magicians think that they will be a great magician if their pass is invisible or they do a killer double lift. These are only our tools. To be great we must know how to use them. Simply doing a pass is not showing that you know how to use it. David knows how to use his talents.

If you performed fifty times and bombed 45 times but could arrange that the television audience only saw the 5 terrific performances, then you'd look better than you really are and would be guilty of "creative editing" even though you actually <did> do the 5 terrifce performances.

Again, I like Blaine. I just think there are better magicians out there who are sadly under recognized.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
giochi
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of giochi
If you performed fifty times and bombed 45 times but could arrange that the television audience only saw the 5 terrific performances, then you'd look better than you really are and would be guilty of "creative editing" even though you actually <did> do the 5 terrifce performances.
[/quote]

that implies that he only performs for television, which is simply not true.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-01-11 14:08, giochi wrote:

If you performed fifty times and bombed 45 times but could arrange that the television audience only saw the 5 terrific performances, then you'd look better than you really are and would be guilty of "creative editing" even though you actually &lt;did&gt; do the 5 terrific performances.

That implies that he only performs for television, which is simply not true.

[/quote]
The only time I've seen him has been on TV specials. Where has he performed without cameras around?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Mandrake01:

Just because YOU have not seen him live does not mean he is not working live. In a recent private party of medical doctors that took place in DC, it was announced that Blaine would be in the room shortly and would be circulating to all of the 20 tables. He came in wearing nicely pressed paints and an open necked shirt. He spent a great deal of time at each table and was a big hit with the guests (all in Black Tie.)

In speaking with the host and hostess after the dinner and performance, I found out that they were immensely pleased with how he had worked the room, and that their feedback from the guests was overwhelmingly positive. Everyone was most impressed with him.

What was important to me about Blaine’s appearance was that he was well-groomed (hands and nails immaculate), he spoke nicely to everyone, and gave special attention to the children who were there. What more could anyone want from a close-up magician? I’m not a huge fan of his, but I’ve never seen a better close-up magician working tables in my 45+ years in magic.

I found out later what he was paid, his compensation for performing was awesome, and it helps all of us that work in magic for a living.

Bob
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
My answer is simple, He is making a living at what he loves to do so why should we complain about that? Who cares how good he is we should care more about how good we are!
Manny
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Manny
How good is David Blaine?
He is good enough to make a living doing magic.
However this is the wrong question to ask ... ask yourself
"How good am I?" , then study his DVDs/TV specials.
Study his presentation, showmanship, theatrics, marketing.
You will become a better magician for doing so.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-01-12 02:05, Wellington wrote:
Mandrake01:

Just because YOU have not seen him live does not mean he is not working live. In a recent private party of medical doctors that took place in DC, it was announced that Blaine would be in the room shortly and would be circulating to all of the 20 tables. He came in wearing nicely pressed paints and an open necked shirt. He spent a great deal of time at each table and was a big hit with the guests (all in Black Tie.)

In speaking with the host and hostess after the dinner and performance, I found out that they were immensely pleased with how he had worked the room, and that their feedback from the guests was overwhelmingly positive. Everyone was most impressed with him.

What was important to me about Blaine’s appearance was that he was well-groomed (hands and nails immaculate), he spoke nicely to everyone, and gave special attention to the children who were there. What more could anyone want from a close-up magician? I’m not a huge fan of his, but I’ve never seen a better close-up magician working tables in my 45+ years in magic.

I found out later what he was paid, his compensation for performing was awesome, and it helps all of us that work in magic for a living.

Bob

Good for him. I hadn't heard of his doing anything outside of the television specials. (I certainly hadn't seen him.)

I also never claimed he was "grubby" in any way so I certainly wouldn't expect him to turn up in any fashion other than "well-groomed (hands and nails immaculate)" as far as being nice and soft-spoken to everyone, he'd never been otherwise on his specials so again I wouldn't expect anything less in a personal appearance.

Quote:
On 2007-01-13 00:53, Manny wrote:
He is good enough to make a living doing magic.
However this is the wrong question to ask ... ask yourself
"How good am I?" , then study his DVDs/TV specials.
Study his presentation, showmanship, theatrics, marketing.
You will become a better magician for doing so.

I don't think so. I'm still not crazy about David's approach to magic (as successful as it's been for him) and don't really want to emulate him. I think David's approach is uniquely David and anyone "studying" it is probably going to come off as "trying to look like David Blaine."

To paraphrase Jackie Chan; "I'd rather be the first <mandrake01> than the next David Blaine."
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Here's a spoof on a David Blaine stunt gone wrong in the great U.K.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
MagicG14
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MagicG14
David Blaine is a very good card magician.
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
David Blaine is talented in more ways than magic; he created a growth market that has lifted magic back up again. People like silverking are mouths; what have they done? Nothing? They spend more of the free time they have online behind a computer screen talking about other people. Please.
Manny
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Manny
Short answer ... Good enough.
However his is a Great showmen
and a strong promoter that IMHO
studied Houdini and learned a thing
or two from him.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8aucpJx8bs

Not sure if this was already posted here, but this guy puts Blaine to shame. I don't think I ever laughed so hard in my life. The sign thing at the end was absolutely hilarious, and the very ending as well.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2007-01-17 09:50, sirbrad wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8aucpJx8bs

Not sure if this was already posted here, but this guy puts Blaine to shame. I don't think I ever laughed so hard in my life. The sign thing at the end was absolutely hilarious, and the very ending as well.

If you have never "laughed so hard in my life" you should get out more, and I hardly think he puts "Blaine to shame."

Bob
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Since it is obvious that you have the inability to distinguish sarcasm, it is YOU who should get out more.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How good is David Blaine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL