The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Accessories » » Psi-Con Ruse Trick by Phil Goldstein » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Over the years Phil Goldstein has offered a variety of nifty effects to the magical fraternity, some as contributions to magic publications, others as marketed tricks available through dealers. I was lucky enough to receive one of Mr.Goldstein's latest at my doorstep. What follows is a few insights for your enjoyment. Smile

Psi-Con Ruse Trick by Phil Goldstein
---------------oOo-----------------

Effect: A spectator is asked to freely shuffle a deck of cards. The mentalist displays a book on divination, explaining that he has been studying Cartomancy-the ancient system of telling fortunes with playing cards.

An envelope is then given to the participant to hold and the performer says, "Even though we've never met before, inside this envelope is a Cartomantic reading that I've prepared just for you. Let's see if the system works!"

The top five cards of the shuffled pack are taken and displayed by being inserted into the edge of the book. The spectator is told to choose any of the five cards. The selected card is, for example, the four of clubs. The four unchosen cards are shown to be all different. When the fortune message is removed from the envelope, it reads:

"You have a compassionate nature and strong leadership potential. Your sense of humor is admired by others. Your lucky card is the four of clubs!"

This little prediction effect is by no means something new. Indeed, the routine was devised about a quarter of a century ago.

It is based on Dr.Jaks' Supersonic, one of several attempts to eliminate the need for a display stand. Dr.Jaks' routine was originally marketed in the late 1940s, and was in turn an outgrowth of Henry Hardin's Monte Christo Deck, which made its debute in 1905.

The effect is pretty much as described, and is not that difficult to learn. You receive a nice 8 page booklet of instructions, illustrated by Tony Dunn and of course written by Phil Goldstein. The cover art was designed by Ben Harris of Australia, and looks great. You also receive a very cool set of gimmicked blue backed Bicycle playing cards which make this effect possible.

You will have to add your own bits of business to make this piece your own, but you should be doing that with any magic you purchase anyway, right? Smile

I think this trick is pretty cool, and would be a welcome addition to anyone looking for a piece of Mentalism to add to their act. Worth a look! Smile

My rating:

Available from your favorite dealer. Dealers should contact Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc., http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com
Dealers call toll free: 1-800-853-7403

Suggested Retail: $15.00
Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Accessories » » Psi-Con Ruse Trick by Phil Goldstein » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL