The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Bored! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
I'm bored of magic Smile

It's a shame because I used to love it, but now it just feels as if every gig is the same, and I don't really enjoy it as much anymore. It's a shame because it's great money and I used to love getting new gigs and getting prepared for them and then seeing the amazement on people's faces. But now it's just the same thing over and over again.

I tried looking for new tricks to learn, but I'm so picky about what I think is good enough for me I rarely find anything decent. And even then, since I'm not enthusiastic about it, I can't be bothered to put the effort in to learn the new tricks, so I keep on doing the same tricks, and it goes into a downward spiral from there on.

What can I do to rekindle my interest?!
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
Read a book, or give up for a week or so, then coming back is always cool man.
Pavlo
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
I only do it when I have a gig, once or twice a month.

Do you working magicians feel this? You guys with magic as your full-time job? Is it just a job to you, or do you also have fun? I mean I know people don't enjoy their jobs but I thought magicians would - am I wrong, is this just how it is supposed to be?
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Find a new person just getting involved in magic and help them. Working with others is a great way to get out of your own way and help someone in the process.

By watching someone else smile and get a "rush" from magic, it might help you to get re-energized.

Good luck. Mark.
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
Oh and here another advise for you. Scam people on ebay. Always makes me to go back to magic anyway.
Pavlo
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Pass on your gigs to me. That should cure it, I guarantee it.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
Ross is almost right, pass your gigs to me!! Seriously though if you don't enjoy yourself, pack it in, because your spectators won't enjoy it. I have been a full time pro for a few years now and every job I do, I go out there and enjoy myself. If you have lost that feeling then pack it in,
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
I hear you Niko. Try this...Add a new effect to your set, one that you are excited about.
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1321 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
Niko I feel exactly the same way you do when cheating at cards...I'm bored too and when new moves comes out I don't have any interest in learning them. The only thing that get me to really want to study and practice is when I lose for dumb reasons. Getting beat at different card games everyday is what actually made me better as I went home to figure out how to beat that particular game and the person who used to make me study has since passed away and since his passing I no longer have the drive to practice to get better; and no he couldn't cheat he was just an excellent card hustler who played off the muscle.

I guess what we're going through is what X-champions go through...we've reached the top and think that we have it going on and stop practicing and the other things that we could learn in the meantime doesn't meet up to our standards and this is when we lose our edge. I have no remedy for this dilemma all I can say is I guess God's words are coming true. "The things of this world are fading away and so are it's desires."

Signed

Bored Too
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Join a magic club, be with other magicians. Find a mentor. When I was bored with magic awhile ago, reading The Experience of Magic by Eugene Burger really energized my interest in magic again and again..
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
DonEngland
View Profile
1947 - 2015
Champaign, IL
258 Posts

Profile of DonEngland
Being bored means you have moved your attention to inside yourself. Your
comments were all about yourself, your thoughts and your feelings. You
did not mention the thoughts and feelings of others. Many working pros
are long dead inside. The art of magic is about sharing a few minutes
of your life with new people and sharing your art with them, and maybe
a little of their life with you, a journey of discovery so to speak and
not boring. What I hear you talking about is burn-out and I think you
have found the thrill is gone. All I would say is do what you are and
the rest will follow. Ask more of yourself and be in give and take moments
and not just give and get the money. At any rate these thoughts are honest
I believe from you and myself. I hope you find yourself and good luck.

Also... taking time off to reflect is good, to continue and be bored is not good.
It is about what you get and what you give.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Magic can be really F-in boring. There are tons of DVDs out there that prove this. Do not worry about being bored with magic. Put it down for a little bit and start to look at why you were doing magic in the first place. What was you purpose with performing? For that mattr what is your purpose in LIFE? If you know your purpose in life you can then decide if magic fits into that purpose. If it does not, never fear you can find a new way of doing your magic that will fit.

C
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of glatner
Get into a new genre, if you do cards, look at coins, or mentalism, or impromptu, get into bizarre magic or escapes, find an old, lnucklebusting manuscript, and master it. develop your own effects
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Niko, I've been performing 200 shows each year for the past 10 years, it's been my main income, and this year I am taking a little sabbatical because I am a bit tired of the same old stuff I'm doing. I'm making the transition from professional to amateur; in other words, I want magic to be fun for me again. I don't want to feel obligated to perform for anyone, unless I feel like it. I'm cutting my expenses, and I'm going to find some other work to pay the rent for now. And, as you have said, it's not easy to give up shows, because they do pay so well, but you have to go with what your soul needs to do. Maybe in a year or so I'll come up with a whole new routine and a new concept, and then I'll dive back in to the biz.

I also reccommend reading Eugene Burger, especially Magic and Meaning.

Todd
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
Everytime I felt burned out or bored with magic, I watch good performances of other people doing shows.

Anyone that you like that inspired you in the first place is a good start.
I usually watch David Copperfield or Harry Blackstone, Jr., sometimes David Williamson or The Pendragons. Watching them do all of those amazing things and being fooled so well and entertained so extraordinarily...I can't help but want to be like them. In turn, I am rekindled, and start back to doing what I love.

As far as learning new material...well, in most cases there is nothing wrong with trying out ideas on an audience. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
A magic club is a great place to get honest critiques before you go in front of laymen...after that, it's up to you what material you keep. It IS your show, after all...
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Thanks guys, your comments have helped and I will have a good think about it all and see how I can rekindle my interest Smile

Another point is... I've just started playing Texas Hold'em, and I'm loving it so much that all my previous time of learning magic is now going in to reading about and improving my poker skills! I'm enjoying poker so much that I feel as if I'm watsing time I could be enjoying poker if I'm doing other things... I guess I need to find a balance.
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
Canvey Island Essex ENGLAND
552 Posts

Profile of Canvey Card Sharp
Ever tried getting a bird mate?
Barry Allen

A Trick....A Smile....Applause
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1321 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
Showing Or Doing Magic Tricks To Poker Players Is A No No

I don't know how old your poker players are but don't show any of them any magic tricks at any cost because when you win some will say that you're cheating because you're a magician and you will not ever be able to live that title down and ABSOLUTELY DO NOT SHOW NOR TELL ANY OF THEM ABOUT The Magic Café. You'll be sorry in the long run if you do. They will never understand your logic regardless of how you explain it. Trust me on this. I've experieinced this many times already so who ever I show magic tricks to I never play.

Respectfully,

Doc
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
A good topic, perhaps its own category?

I realized I was getting very bored when I found myself not making proper eye contact in my close up. I was lucky enough to have Irv Weiner give me a talking to. He would make the most ordinary seem special. I'm still trying.

Some people rarely see magic of any kind. Others have seen a lot. But in all cases they have come some ways and are seeing you. They need to be welcomed and greeted, not processed. Being bored leads to rushing through routines, and not leaving room for reactions and unexpected results.

One pro (at least) has told me that yes, it does turn into just a job. But then that's what all hobbies become when you do them for a living. That's why they are fun, your not doing them all the time. The good advice here has been to take a break, divert yourself (sounds like your finding ways) and approach from a new angle in time. Oh, yeah, go meet some girls.
kelvinkind
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of kelvinkind
There was time I feel bored performing magic. But after I watched some great performance. I begin to wonder what makes his performance much better than mine. it just rekindle my interest.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Bored! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL