The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How do I do it? By, Cranky Dan The Street Magic Man (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Gang,

I kind of tore loose yesterday in a couple of my posts and had them (quite validly) deleted. I meant what I said, but I had no right to do it in the middle of our group. Sorry about that guys.

Anyway, because of this I thought I would post a brief primer on how you can get what you need from this forum quickly.

Almost all of the general questions about busking, how do I stop them, keep them, and get them to pay, have been answered here in quite long form by almost everyone in this forum who works the street. To reference the material all you need to do is click on their avitar next to one of their posts and select view posts by this user. For the record I do this to all of you guys when you mention something about a past post. You have all given me great stuff and I do my best to reciprocate.

If you do not find what they are talking about, before you ask again go to the first year archives and search there. This is where a lot of the good stuff is.

If you want to start a street show and have no idea what you are doing don’t ask, “I want you to tell me everything and I won’t buy a book”. This makes some people (I’m looking a little guilty of it right about now) a little crazy.

Instead, build a show in your head of what you would like to do. Take the time to write an opening and closing pitch. Produce an entire show in your head and then come here and ask us what we think of it. The best example of this is any question that starts with “I’m thinking about doing this”. It shows me that you are thinking and have a creative process going. I am going to answer you and we are going to learn from each other. You are not out to hack my act or suck my brain dry. You are doing hard work. I respect and appreciate that and I bet most of the other guys do as well.

“I’m broke.” Well, okay. I know what that’s like probably better than 90% of the people in the USA. When I was broke I worked a deal with my local library. Your library will order just about any book you want if you will do a show for their children’s section on a Saturday. This is how I read “Expert at the card table”, “The Tarbell Course in magic”, and “Routined Manipulation” By Lewis Ganson. Today they would be more than happy to buy you a video or a DVD and even give you a place to watch it for the same deal. You can also get free Internet access to this site the same way. The barter system is a powerful tool and a talented magician can use it to his advantage quite easily if he is willing to work.

You can also get out there and work with just the information you can get from this forum and fake it till you make it but you will have to do the work. I still think Cellini, Gazzo, Whit Hayden, and Jeff Sheridan, all have more complete offerings. The truth is as a few guys have pointed out none of it is any good until you have stood out there and done a few shows. Don’t be afraid to fail, it is a learning process. You will get it if you stick around long enough.

For those who are willing to do the work I hope this post makes things easier. If any of you guys have anything to add to the list I think this one thread could become a useful resource we could point to in the future.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
courage is what it takes.../go out there and fail...you will learn from that...read the post by all the guys here...you will have basis to stort

good luck
koz
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
If you have a real question, ask it and more than one of us will anser it.
All the general questions have bin asked many times over.

Q: How do I start street performing?
A: get an act, go out on the street, start performing.

Q: what lines do I say to get big hats?
A: That is dependent on you, your show, the pitch you are working. Too open ended to get a good anser. (yet this has bin anserd quite well in this forum)

Q: How mutch can you make busking?
A: How mutch can "I" make? You must be mad for asking.

Q: How mutch can be made busking?
A: agen that is like asking how mutch can you make if you get a job? What kind of job? where? ect.

Q: How can I get a forum locked?
A: mention David Bl....opps almost. Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Since these kinds of questions get asked over and over, how about a sticky topic in this forum. You know stuff like this.

Terms:

Tip=
edge=
busking=

Books:
Cellini=
Whit=
Gazzo=

And yada yada...... how ever it should go.

Sound good?
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Sounds real good. Can we get that done?

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How do I do it? By, Cranky Dan The Street Magic Man (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL