The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » HN Magic Review 114: Close-up Hypnosis Vol.1: Stop-Smoking Mentalism – Fabio Tabbo’ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Magic Review 114: Close-up Hypnosis Vol.1: Stop-Smoking Mentalism – Fabio Tabbo'

AD:

"I was amazed by the depth and the quality of his thinking... I can't recall the last time I saw something explained so well, and backed up by such clarity of thought."
Michael Ammar

"I am fascinated with it... I pick it up often and just dive into wherever I open the book, and there is some fascinating reading here. Fabulous."
Doc Eason

"The work is not only a complete act, but a unique perspective in audience control, pacing, and staging. I was riveted."
Marc Salem

"I was fascinated by the intriguing and well thought-out writing style. Wonderful stuff. Can't wait for your future endeavors."
Banachek

"This wonderful book not only explains 'how' to present a very strong impromptu-looking demonstration, it also explains 'why' each specific movement or sentence is critical to the overall effect... Many wonderful ideas."
Chuck Hickok

"A very detailed and informative thesis on the combined presentations of magic and hypnosis."
David Berglas

"In a nutshell, this effect can be done on stage, up close, informally, anytime, anywhere and is simply a miracle."
Geoffrey Ronning

"A new level of thinking. Great stuff."
Lior Manor

"It is magic in a performance/motivational sense, yet magic also in the ancient idea of using 'illusion to create truth' - one of our mottos. The cover of the book is a powerful spell..."
Kenton Knepper

"Actual wit and intelligence wrapped up in a lovingly and artfully prepared book... A wonderfully structured and thought-through routine, described with humor and style. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!"
Bruce Bernstein

"A unique concept, also helpful to people who are trying to change harmful habits."
John Riggs

"What a great thinking! Definitely a different book, recommended to the real worker."
Guy Bavli

"A very thorough, well thought-out approach. Absolutely nothing has been left out. Well done!!"
Bill Palmer

"I find it both fascinating and wonderful."
TC Tahoe

"Stop Smoking Mentalism is certainly a unique book, where you can't fail to be stunned, beyond the presented effects, by the author's preparation and care in the research and study of the elected topic. A volume that will surely be cherished by mentalism fans, but that should also be read by everyone else to understand, learn and personalize the method of analysis and the creative process."
Tony Binarelli

There seems little doubt that, once mastered, this piece will provide a convincing "YES!" in response to the question "Can you hypnotize?"
Genii Magazine

The sheer depth of thought that has gone into this presentation sets a new standard in magical writing.
The Magician Magazine

A phenomenal work… More than just an incredibly effective trick and a staggeringly good effect, this a doctoral thesis on performing. “Stop-Smoking Mentalism” isn't just a keeper for anyone wanting a powerful demonstration of hypnotic ability; it's a requirement for anyone performing in front of living, breathing people.
Visions

This is a book every magician should read. I’m sure you’ve all heard that you should be prepared for all possibilities in every trick you perform, but how many of you have actually done it? I really mean ALL possibilities. If you want to really understand what this means, and you want an example of this amount of preparation, you really need to read this book. This is truly a case where every move, every word, every gesture, every movement, is well-thought out, analyzed, and fully described. If you’ve ever wondered how to improve what you already do, or how to improve your stage presence and performance, this book is a must reading.
The Linking Ring

Effect: A spectator is asked to participate in an experiment of stop-smoking hypnosis. She pretends to smoke an imaginary cigarette, and feels as if a real one was being used: she vividly visualizes its gray smoke, smells and tastes the tobacco, feels like coughing, etc... She then brings this invisible cigarette closer to her hand, causing a noticeable warming sensation; and when she finally decides to stub it out on her hand, she feels a sharp burn! You can present the effect under any conditions: it seems completely impromptu and gimmickless, with the performer away at all times.

REVIEW:

For once I have to agree with the hypes: wonderful, extreme, controversial, brilliant book from Underwords: I have never seen anything like it in more than 20 years in magic and mentalism.

The book is the first volume of a collection called “Close-up Hypnosis”, and as the name implies it’s a unique blend of hypnosis and magic: you’ll never find those gimmicks and physical manipulations in hypnosis books, and such attention to wording/scripts and psychological subtleties in magic or mentalism publications. The work is also very entertaining, and easy to understand.

Now, as usual, let’s focus on the negative sides:
1. the therapists (i.e. medical hypnotists) will complain about the sacrilegious mix of “real” hypnosis and magic;
2. the book is expensive, considering it only focuses on one effect;
3. you may have to pay a few more $$$ for the gimmick(s).

In any case, the effect is an impromptu killer, the book is wonderfully written and has a lot to teach (and I do mean it, A LOT to teach!!!!) apart from the described effect.

Certainly one of my best purchases in recent years.

OVERALL RATING: Excellent

H.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
invested time in the magic community
1941 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Saw this post and thought....hmm, I don't smoke. I looked because it said review. Sounds FANTASTIC. Thanks for sharing.
Pay it forward and remember karma will take it from there
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
23634 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Harvey, have you performed the effect yet? If so, what was the turnout?
Harry Truman
View Profile
Regular user
England
156 Posts

Profile of Harry Truman
Fantastic review Harvey, thank you very much for taking the time to write it. This definately looks like something I'll be ordering sometime soon.
"Man's highest reward for his dedication to the pursuit of excellence is not what he gets from it, but what he becomes through it."
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Another excellent review from HN
I would buy this immediately but, as The Man himself says, the price is a little high for a single effect
Can anybody please add any details?
TJ
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
I heard about this effect but was a little skeptical. Your review really helped. Thanx a lot!

Do you know what other "Close-up Hypnosis" effects will be coming out? And when?
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
This book is that fantastic...it is the only pseudo-hypnosis routine I have ever seen that could play as 100% real on stage.

You should know there is some discussion of the safety of the gaff for the finale...however there are some here using this gaff with no problems so far. It has been improved over the years and if you use caution and understand some simple concepts you can probably do this with little risk.

You need the punch at the end but if you are willing this is fantastic. I haven't been willing to risk it so far but I haven't closed the door on the idea...the routine is that good.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 16:34, Dynamike wrote:
Harvey, have you performed the effect yet? If so, what was the turnout?

Dynamike: of course I performed it, I would never rate a trick in the “Very Good” or “Excellent” categories before performing it in front of a real audience (with the exception of Tom Mullica’s videos, which I think are hilarious but they really don’t fit my performing style). I’ve presented it 4 times so far, both in informal and parlor venues, and the reactions have been exceptionally strong: the experiment looks real, perhaps because on some levels, it is real.

On the other hand, it is expensive, so it is more geared towards working pros. If you can afford it, I recommend it unreservedly: not just for the effect described, but for loads of ideas and subtleties you should apply to the effects you already perform.

Valdimar and others: I don’t know about further books, please PM me if you find out something more, thanks.

H.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for sharing . . .
Cards never lie
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4453 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Harvey, I always enjoy your reviews and certainly wish you would do more of them.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2007-01-27 12:14, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Harvey, I always enjoy your reviews and certainly wish you would do more of them.

Don't we all LOL
TJ
MIC
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MIC
Thanks for the review:)

just some questions that pop in my mind.
1. Does it play differently to the audience and to the participant? dual reality? How does it play to each?
2. What do you mean "it 'may' cost more for the gimmicks" how much more? and why "may"? Are these gimmicks reuseable? How much you have to pay for each time you perform it? (you know what I mean)
3. How dangerous is the prop in the end?

I understand that this book is much more than those things.. so I will consider it either way...

thanks again for the review
MIC
Rebecca Travis
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
83 Posts

Profile of Rebecca Travis
Harvey,

Which presentation did you use?

Thanks,

Rebecca
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2007-01-27 18:06, teejay wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-27 12:14, Tom Jorgenson wrote:

Don't we all LOL
TJ

Tom/TJ: thanks. I have MANY more reviews (your Georgia Magnet book too, as you may remember), but writing them is really time consuming. Only 130 reviews in 4 years, that’s not much, I admit...

Rebecca: I used the standard effect, because I mainly perform in close-up. The “Cowboy is Dead” variation is tempting but more suitable for stage. The “Nostalgic” variation is not for me. The “Non-smoking audience” framing is clever, but I prefer performing the effect when somebody is smoking, by casually bringing the conversation towards it.

H.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2007-01-27 18:35, MIC wrote:
Thanks for the review:)

just some questions that pop in my mind.
1. Does it play differently to the audience and to the participant? dual reality? How does it play to each?
2. What do you mean "it 'may' cost more for the gimmicks" how much more? and why "may"? Are these gimmicks reuseable? How much you have to pay for each time you perform it? (you know what I mean)
3. How dangerous is the prop in the end?

I understand that this book is much more than those things.. so I will consider it either way...

thanks again for the review
MIC

MIC: sorry I forgot to answer your queries:

1. Dual reality: no, the effect is not based on it, and spectators can speak to each other after the effect. I would say there is a 5-10% of DR, which is used to enhance certain minor aspects, without changing the perception of the main effect.

2. Prices: that’s the main problem, I really don’t understand why mentalism books are so expensive. I said you “may” have to buy the gaff because you probably don’t have it (or you may have an obsolete version). Expect to pay about 20$ for it. Fortunately it should last for a lifetime (I had mine since the mid-nineties).

3. Safety: as Mota wrote earlier, you have to be careful - especially if you have small kids at home: I always lock the gimmicks in a box, and hide the box!

H.
MIC
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MIC
Great:)

thank you for your help and the review!

MIC
Rebecca Travis
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
83 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-01-28 15:27, Harvey Nerzof wrote:

Rebecca: I used the standard effect, because I mainly perform in close-up.

Yes, thanks, that’s what I thought. It’s the presentation I have prepared too.

In fact, I was ready to perform it yesterday, the venue was perfect but nobody at the table was smoking, *** it!!!! I should have leanrt the non-smoking-audience variation too!

Rebecca
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2007-01-31 12:57, Rebecca Travis wrote:

In fact, I was ready to perform it yesterday, the venue was perfect but nobody at the table was smoking, *** it!!!! I should have leanrt the non-smoking-audience variation too!

Rebecca: The non-smoking audience methodology is basically the same, you just have to change a few words in the scripts and outs. Casually bring the conversation towards smoking, the prevention methods for youngsters etc. I don’t do it this way because I prefer the regular hypnotic “cure”.

H.
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Gentlemen, what about the hypnotic words “Inner Thoughts”
Rebecca Travis
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
83 Posts

Geez higmagic, what is your problem with that “gentlemen” thing. Besides, this is the correct forum for a book review.

Harvey I know it’s the same methodology, but I had learnt the original script and didn’t want to start juggling around and improvising for my very first performance.

Anyway I think I did the right thing because I had finally performed it today for the first time (the regular version, as I had intended it),and it was great! I think I was also lucky because the participant was very expressive and responsive, and the timing was perfect, and she remained silent for like 10 seconds after the climax staring at her hand with a WEIRD expression on her face!

Thanks for your PM. Bye

Rebecca
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » HN Magic Review 114: Close-up Hypnosis Vol.1: Stop-Smoking Mentalism – Fabio Tabbo’ (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL