The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » HN Magic Review 117: IMS Vol 12/13: The Magic of Tom Mullica – Tom Mullica (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Magic Review 117: IMS Vol 12/13: The Magic of Tom Mullica – Tom Mullica

AD:

Sorry I couldn’t find the ad. Basically it is a show with explanation by Tom Mullica, filmed at Stevens Magic Emporium in the early nineties.

REVIEW:

Freaking hilarious... Yes I know, the “magic” is very basic (don’t expect some new techniques, moves or gimmick here!), and you’ll probably never perform it: but who cares about the methods, the show is just FREAKING HILARIOUS and that’s what it is all about.

As opposed to An Evening at the Tom Foolery, Mullica sits down with Mark Stevens at the end of the show and explains some of the tricks (no, not the cigarette-eating stuff). There is one thing you will (re-)learn for sure: humor is a fantastic form of misdirection. For example the first card trick in the show went wrong (the spectator forgot his card!), but nobody cared. And nobody cared about the modus operandi, the moves, the “how he did that” question... spectators are just too busy laughing.

OVERALL RATING: Excellent

HN
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
I don't think the magic is necessarily basic. Tom Mullica performs several routines from Paul LePaul and he is excellent with cards. He is definitely more skilled than most of the dingleberries that are putting out dvds and posting their horrible videos on Youtube.

I do think the Stevens video is excellent.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 20:57, Silly Walter the Polar Bear wrote:
I don't think the magic is necessarily basic. Tom Mullica performs several routines from Paul LePaul and he is excellent with cards. He is definitely more skilled than most of the dingleberries that are putting out dvds and posting their horrible videos on Youtube.

Walter: Mullica is certainly skilled, but what I said is that the methods and tricks used in his videos are rather basic (except from the cigarette work). You would agree that a classic Le Paul card trick or a Malini Egg Bag routine is nothing revolutionary.

I don't know Youtube, but I know about many dingleberries putting out new DVDs every week, and believe me, I fully agree with you!

H.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for the review . . .
Cards never lie
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 08:07, Harvey Nerzof wrote:
HN Magic Review 117: IMS Vol 12/13: The Magic of Tom Mullica – Tom Mullica

AD:

Sorry I couldn’t find the ad. Basically it is a show with explanation by Tom Mullica, filmed at Stevens Magic Emporium in the early nineties.

REVIEW:

Freaking hilarious... Yes I know, the “magic” is very basic (don’t expect some new techniques, moves or gimmick here!), and you’ll probably never perform it: but who cares about the methods, the show is just FREAKING HILARIOUS and that’s what it is all about.

As opposed to An Evening at the Tom Foolery, Mullica sits down with Mark Stevens at the end of the show and explains some of the tricks (no, not the cigarette-eating stuff). There is one thing you will (re-)learn for sure: humor is a fantastic form of misdirection. For example the first card trick in the show went wrong (the spectator forgot his card!), but nobody cared. And nobody cared about the modus operandi, the moves, the “how he did that” question... spectators are just too busy laughing.

OVERALL RATING: Excellent

HN

IMS is Tony Hassini's videos of Tom. The one you refer to is Stevens Greater Magic video of Tom Mullica, Volume 19. It's not Mark Stevens at the end with him. It's a fellow that does the voice over intro's.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2007-01-27 22:48, MagicChris wrote:

IMS is Tony Hassini's videos of Tom. The one you refer to is Stevens Greater Magic video of Tom Mullica, Volume 19. It's not Mark Stevens at the end with him. It's a fellow that does the voice over intro's.

Magic Chris: you are absolutely right!! It should read SGM, not IMS. I have brought the corrections to my site and ebook, but I can’t change the title thread above. I hope people reading the review will also read down here. Sorry about the confusion!

H.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Harvey, I've done it as well. Thanks for the original post. It's a great video of Tom.

I think the fellow at the end of the video with Tom is Gene Rump.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » HN Magic Review 117: IMS Vol 12/13: The Magic of Tom Mullica – Tom Mullica (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL