The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Scorpion (Makibishi) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Here is the basic effect:
You place the scorpion on a table along with 4 little paper cups.

Turn your back and tell the spec. to cover the scorpion with one of the cups and place the other 3 cups in any positions to the left or right of the cup with the Scorpion under it. One by one you crush each cup leaving the Scorpion and it's cup untouched.

What you get:

A very attractive wooden box with a Japanese ideogram painted on the top. Inside the box is a metal spiked ball, about 2 inches around (the center ball is about 1 ½ inches, and it is surrounded by 50 3/8 inch spikes). This ball (the Scorpion) is a thing of terrifying beauty, and it will fit under cups as small as the bathroom Dixie cups, making this an ideal routine for tableside and parlor entertainment.

You do not get one of the items needed to accomplish the effect. This is pointed out on the website ( http://www.outlaw-effects.com/outlaw/ ) and in the advertisement, but there are alternate methods to accomplish the effect.

My impressions:

I love it. The props are top notch, and the routine is well thought out. This is one of the two best purchases I made this year. Outlaw has hit another homerun.

Tony Iacoviello
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
491 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
I just bought one of these on Monday and I am waiting for it to arrive. I am very excited..I will check back with a review when I receive it.

Later,

Marc
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
I just got mine today! I love it. Tony stole my thoughts when he said it was another homerun. It is just like that add reads. The box it comes in looks great and for the Scorpion itself, well it just looks plain scary. Rick provides a great back story if you want to use it and you even have a couple different "checks" to make sure were the scorpion is. I cant wait to use this bad boy. More after I use this at a show in a week. Great job Rick
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 12:59, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Here is the basic effect:
You place the scorpion on a table along with 4 little paper cups.

Turn your back and tell the spec. to cover the scorpion with one of the cups and place the other 3 cups in any positions to the left or right of the cup with the Scorpion under it. One by one you crush each cup leaving the Scorpion and it's cup untouched.

What you get:

A very attractive wooden box with a Japanese ideogram painted on the top. Inside the box is a metal spiked ball, about 2 inches around (the center ball is about 1 ½ inches, and it is surrounded by 50 3/8 inch spikes). This ball (the Scorpion) is a thing of terrifying beauty, and it will fit under cups as small as the bathroom Dixie cups, making this an ideal routine for tableside and parlor entertainment.

You do not get one of the items needed to accomplish the effect. This is pointed out on the website ( http://www.outlaw-effects.com/outlaw/ ) and in the advertisement, but there are alternate methods to accomplish the effect.

My impressions:

I love it. The props are top notch, and the routine is well thought out. This is one of the two best purchases I made this year. Outlaw has hit another homerun.

Tony Iacoviello

Thank you Tony.

What he doesn't mention is the exotic Ninja history and presentation that make this a very different effect than a "nail" stab routine.

There is "purpose" to the way the effect is presented.

Thanks again Tony, glad you like it!

RR
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
I will take this to a walk around gig this weekend and let you guys know how it goes. the box can easily fit in a jacket pocket
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Hey all,

I am a massive Outlaw fan, thanks Tony for another great review.

Question: Would a normal, garden variety polystyrene cup be approriate to use with this or do you need a shorter length cup to make sure the method works? One thing about 'Spike' that is a bit annoying is you have to search the country looking for the right size cups.

Also how far away can you be from the gimmick and still be successful? I would like to use CP II with it.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
Al I would use the small cups, they are not hard to find at all. I found them today at my grocery store in about 5 minutes. cp2 will work with it, I have cp2 and tried it today.
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
There's one important thing about the Scorpion that I haven't seen anybody else point out: Roth has been completely upfront and honest about the method of this effect.

We didn't have to guess or speculate, all the information we need is right there in the ad.

Dealers, please take note that being upfront and open about your product is not necessarily a deteriment to sales.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
I also got mine, and I really love it. I also really like the back story for this. Once again Rick had delivered something with Atmosphere! I find this FAR more appealing than the ol spike under the cups. This just makes more sense to me, and IMHO is more engaging for the audience.

Scott
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I really agree with Malchat's post, above. There was something incredibly refreshing about the ad copy for this effect.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I also agree, I bet more sales will be made and less complaints will be generated because we know what we are getting from the start.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
To much stuff coming out. STOP!!!
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
491 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
I ordered mine a couple days ago and can't wait for it to get here! This looks like an awesome effect and the story and props look first rate. I will definately leave a review when I rec it.

Paisa,
I totally agree...people need to stop coming up with new effects for at least a month so I don't spend myself into the poor house!!

Marc
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I can't wait for mine to get here, but maybe those of you who have it can answer a small question. Is there any concern about the Scorpion scratching up a table at a nice restaurant while you do a walk-around gig with it? I'm thinking that if there is, a few small coasters might be used to protect the surface.

Of course, this may all be moot when the mail comes...

Thanks
Jim
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Yes, the possibility exists. Unless of course, you do it upside down. Use 4 small coffee cups with lids. Put the Scorpion in one of the cups, have them cover it and 3 other cups, and slide them around while you're not looking.

Or if you want to do that, you can use a small cardboard disk under the the scorpion.

Tony
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
491 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
I was thinking it would be cool to get some little coasters that would look like its part of the prop...kinda like the other effects like this where thy have a base and set a cup on top of it...I am going to look for some cool coasters that look old and/or have some Japanese writing on them...

Marc
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
The coaster idea is already on the Scorpion forum. I have these asian style woven coasters that are perfect. They even role up so you can easily carry them.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Florida
683 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
This is simply a wonderful idea, no doubt about it!

My Scorpion was in the mail box today and I couldn’t wait rip open the package.
As I have grown to expect from Outlaw, this is a very nice looking piece indeed.

The back story provided is perfect and the prop is certainly unique.
It works perfectly and I have been assured by an expert in the field (shopping), my Wife, the cups are easily found. She pointed out that I already had a supply she picked for me a while back for another effect…duh.

Having just received it I haven’t had the opportunity to really perform it for anyone and won’t for awhile… .Ah, wait, maybe Superbowl will be the right time! It’s obviously so easy to do…not much in the way of practice needs be done EXCEPT to make certain the presentation is what it needs to be.

I am anxious to hit Outlaw’s forum and check out the ideas that will be pouring in no doubt. The coaster addition is a nice one!

Rick, thanks so much for bringing another great effect to the market!

Best to all,

Bobby
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
491 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Here are some online stores that sell coasters. Some look pretty cool. I need to get my Scorpion and then I'm going to Bed Bath and Beyond to actually find some that match up...if that doesn't work, I am going to get some of the ones online. This was just a quick look and I am sure there are more out there. I googled "cup coasters japanese"

http://www.zensuke.com/210301.html

http://www.mountfuji.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000......mp;SHOP=

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/searchSKU.asp?order_num=-1&SSTR=coaster&go=1&

Marc
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I want this, but is there really no way to do it without the gimmick that is not supplied.In other words , I want to use the one I own that is not gimmicked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Scorpion (Makibishi) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL