The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What am I thinking? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
How many times are you asked this, when people find out that you´re a Mentalist, Mind reader or whatever you call yourself.
What is your reply.

Mine is:

I try to control your mind. Control what you think, do or say.

This seems to work. People accept my statement

The mind is very complex and human nature being what it is, people find it hard to concentrate even for a second so I try to control your mind. Control what you think, do or say.
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
296 Posts

Profile of asmayly
Here's what I say (but that can easily be added to what you say, so I'll add it):

The mind is very complex and human nature being what it is people find it hard to concentrate even for a second so I try to control your mind. Control what you think, do or say.

Do you think I can control your thoughts?
[No, or Yes, or whatever ...]

See, I made you say that!

AA
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Shameless plug: check out my recent columns at
Visions
http://www.online-visions.com/sharedthoughts

I recently did a piece (which also appears in a slightly edited form in Ramblings & Revelations that touched on this very subject Smile
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
246 Posts

Profile of saglaser
My response, #1: You're thinking that you're being clever.
(Okay, I've never really used that one, but I've been tempted) Smile

My response #2: You're thinking that it would be really amazing if I told you what you were thinking.

This reply disarms the whole situation by turning it into a joke, and yet, they can't actually deny that I actually told them something that was really on their mind. Smile
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4068 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
A joke that I had been using for years(before I knew anything about magic or
mentalism, not that I really know that much now), think of a number between 1 & 3 ?
It's 2 right?

I hadn't thought of that for a long time Smile
Smile
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1229 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
"Tell you what, buddy, YOU tell me what I'M thinking!" (has to be said with a sneer) Then, when he thumps you for your cheek, you can use the old line... “If someone asks me to read their mind, I can't. But if they punch me in the face I know what they're thinking.”

On the other hand, the use of a business card and a NW might be safer!
laidback
View Profile
New user
NJ
51 Posts

Profile of laidback
Here's one that I love (I can't remember where I heard it -- possibly the Amazing Jonathan). Gaze at them intently, and then say "I'm not picking up any thoughts at all. That should be really embarassing for ONE of us..."

Another one I like, which I picked up on one of the other message boards, is "You're thinking I'm going to read your mind for free."

-Steve
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
"What do you think I am a MINDREADER?..."
The subtext is:just because you are thinking dosen't mean that I have to read it!!!
As a mind reader we are supposed to be able to preform on demand.
The question is should we do it?
is it worth it?
Are we dogs of some kind or a carnival performer!?
If someone asks us:"What am I thinking of?"
should we read is mind or tell him to get lost?
I believe that it's all depend on the meaning
behind the question.
Is he putting a challnge for us or just showing some curiosity?
If it is the later we can give him a small demonstration based on verbal control or somthing,
But if it is the former we should pass.
Don't play his game.
You have nothing to gain.
You will lose any way.

Yaniv Deautsch
Rob Wallis
View Profile
New user
The Other California
73 Posts

Profile of Rob Wallis
Quote:
On 2002-01-30 20:46, Andy Leviss wrote:
Shameless plug: check out my recent columns at
Visions
http://www.onlinevisions.com/sharedthoughts

Your url needs a hyphen:

Thought you'd like to know
Tig Wallis
The Comic Psychic
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Ichazod: The reason you haven't thought of it in a long time is that experienced mentalists will tell you is that one out of five spectators will answer 1 or 3, guaranteed. %-)
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Quote:
On 2002-02-08 13:09, Rob Wallis wrote:
<snipped>
Your url needs a hyphen:

Thought you'd like to know

Uh, yeah...I wasn't paying attention. Thanks for pointing it out :o) {slinks away quietly}
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I would say,
"you are thinking,that I don't know what you are thinking" they laugh.
"Now you are thinking that that was just some kind of joke" they chuckle
"Now, your trying to think of just one thing." they just look at you.
"Now your thinking, that I am right, but that you can't let on" they are still looking at you.
"Now you are really getting worried because I have been right this entire time."
now they are worshiping you. and more importantly, they have shut up.

Chad
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
690 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
Andy Leviss,

Really enjoyed you article, here is a thought I had.

While I have never done this effect, could it not be explained that they, the participant, do in fact know how much change is in their pockets? They may not remember, but their subconscious must know. They either put the change in their pockets that morning and or they got change from some purchase.

I think explaining this may just make it a strong effect. It takes it out of the guessing game scenario and puts it back into mind reading. Reading a part of the mind that the participant has repressed.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
TC,
Not bad :oD That's definitely the first time I've ever seen a logical presentation for that effect that makes it more than a guessing game.

And thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it, as well as glad to read your posting--it's so much more fun to keep writing when people actually write back and give their thoughts :o)
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
When someone asks me "What am I thinking?", I generally say; "You're thinking I can't tell you what you're thinking!" Most of the time I'm right. A question like this is almost always a challenge.
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Quote:
On 2002-09-03 20:32, Paradox wrote:
When someone asks me "What am I thinking?", I generally say; "You're thinking I can't tell you what you're thinking!" Most of the time I'm right. A question like this is almost always a challenge.

Paradox, I usually say the same thing. Then I go on to explain something like, "The real problem is that about 80 percent of your mind is focused on unconscious mental processes, things you aren't consciously aware of, and don't have much control over. So most of the time the sorts of thoughts you can broadcast to other people aren't the same thoughts you keep repeating over and over in your head." This makes a nice excuse to ring in billets or other more pinpointed effects.

Lately, though, I've begun to ask this question, "Would you say you think more in words or pictures?" Whatever they say, I now respond, "well that poses a problem, because I don't think well in either mode. I think better spacially. So if you're able to think, for example, in movement or directions, I have a better chance at reading your mind." Then I can proceed with a contact mind-reading demonstration.

--Christopher Carter
Millard123
View Profile
Regular user
Millard Longman
170 Posts

Profile of Millard123
Since a real Psychic does not read minds, my answer is simple; I do not read minds!

Millard
Millard Longman

See all my products at:
www.mevproshop.com
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
I have yet to try this, but Doug Dyment's Sign Language may be another response:

http://www.oratory.com/mindsights/signlanguage.html
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
My answer is "If the conditions are right, and if the subject is willing, I can sometimes pick up thoughts, BUT I am not a mind reader, only a thought reader and I do not believe that anyone can walk into a room and just read your mind."

I then invite them to my next show to see me do just that AND then if really pressed by a possible future client, I usually have them draw a picture and duplicate it or something along those lines.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
Paul, I am curious as to how you differentiate Mind-reading from Thought-reading and why.

If I read a book am I not reading a sentence? And if I am reading the sentence am I not reading the book?

(well I could be reading a sentence somewhere else)

Just wondering how the difference works in the minds of the audience.

As for how to handle the question: What am I thinking?

"Well you are thinking of several different things right now, one of them was the expectation regarding whether I can do it or not. But if you focus your mind into a single thought I may be able to pick it up. So let's try this..."

Then I embarc in a mind-reading experiment that I can control.

It is really true that when a person asks that question their mind is not focused on one single thing. Also if you are in a crowd and the person that asked the question was waiting for other's to finish before taking their turn, you can be completely sure that they had been thinking about posing the question. This is something you can also point out to your advantage.

If we are a mind-readers we should really try to understand the way people think. It is an exercise that will pay off enormously in the long run.

-Alain Bellon
A l a i n —— B e ll o n
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What am I thinking? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL