The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Matrix style effect with The Lean (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
I just found out about the lean the other day, and I love the effect! I'm wondering if it would be possible for a "lean back Neo from the matrix dodging bullets" suspension. I'd like to tell everyone that I am very flexible and I have good balance, and I can get into this position for about 1 second and then rise back up. My real question is if the lean will allow me greater balance to help perform this. In addition, can anyone go over the range of motiont the lean allows, i.e. front, sides, back, and its limitations. Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to go wrong with a product with a $650 price tag.

Thanks in advance!
Bryan
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
I don't think it is suitable for everyday anywhere anytime use.
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You can lean forward, and somewhat to each side. Not to the back at all.

This is a "stage" trick requiring some pre-show work to install. Not at all good for the streets unless you work in a single position and stand on something like a rug for cover. Even if you did, carrying the apparatus would be a major hassle.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Thanks for the reply, but I am a little confused.
After reading the description on Malloy Modern Magic, it seemed as if everything was contained in the shoes themselves. Also check this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz44bXsszHQ

Apart from the Andrew Mayne Pocket Sawing in Half, is this the same lean effect?

And you said "carrying the apparatus would be a major hassle."
MMM states "No special stage needed" and "Once your shoes are rigged, they are just like wearing a normal pair of shoes!"

So are you telling me you need a "portable stage"?

Thanks a lot

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Pretty much, yes.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Bryanlonden,
Dave is being nice a platform might work for the lean but this is REALY not a street effect. The video and the description are Technically correct. but they leave out much of the actual working of this effect. Don't get me wrong the lean is a dynomite effect on stage and realy astounds the audience but on the street it would be just an obvious stunt. save you money.
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Well thanks guys, at least now I can use that money for other effects. Would you happen to know any other types of effects dealing with the performer's body? For some reason these effects astound me more than anything. I guess it's the nature of acting as a skill of strength and form instead of a trick. I'm looking for something other than a levitation, such as a practical suspension or hmm I don't know how to describe this, an illusion of strength, balance, and a defiance of physics, which of course could be possible in a street setting. I have no problem with getting ready beforehand, as I usually setup in advance when I go out and perform at parties and in public.

M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
Check out 'Georgia Wonder' by Barry H Wiley. It is a book about a young girl(13 I think) who used to do a lot of effects on stage that seemed to defy the laws of nature and she was able to prove more powerful/strong than fully grown men. The effects are all to do with physics and leveridge type principals. You may find some interesting things in the book to use.

Hope that helps.
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Thank you M@agic Man....that is EXACTLY the type of stuff I was looking for. I'm definately picking this up soon.
thanks again

James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of James Warren
Bryanlonden, you might consider Malloy's "Gravity Box" effect, which is Robert Houdin's Light/Heavy box effect. Very physical. A child can lift it but the strongest man in the audience cannot, at your will. See the thread on Magic Café where the effect is discussed. I put one up for sale yesterday on eBay (do an eBay search for "Gravity Box". I don't think Doug Malloy is making them anymore, so they're not easy to get.
saracen
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of saracen
The effect Criss Angel does where he leans back and then raises one leg (matrix)is showing up a lot on ebay here in the uk and usa.

Matt
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I was going to suggest John Fisher's "Body Magic" until I looked it up on the Internet and saw the cheapest price is $150 for this apparently now rare paperback book that I bought for $6.95 in 1980. However, you might try looking for it in the library.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
FLyxNERD
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of FLyxNERD
I think this is what ur lookin for..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1VVcINujc
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Now This version would work on the street if you are not Interested in performing all day as the equipment is not wear friendly.
baggins321
View Profile
Loyal user
United States
223 Posts

Profile of baggins321
What is the exact name of the effect and where it can be purchased from and for how much?
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Have never seen the Matrix lean illusion for sale. I personally made my own for less than $50.00 (normally about 250.00 but bargain shopped). I couldn't grasp the idea of the gimmick actually working until I tried it, then it was a marvel of science!

I can perform mine on any surface and anywhere in front of any number of people surrounded. Wearing the gimmick long term can be a problem. I show a short video at end of show and then come back out to do the routine. I perform in banquet settings often, so I will literally climb up on someones banquet table and do it in the middle of the audience. If I'm in a theater seating situation, I have a riser that sits in the middle of the crowd above the seats. Standing ovation before I even rise back up vertically! People love it cause its ultra visual, and its done right in the middle of everyone. Not to mention, its just a freaky looking effect, magic or not!
baggins321
View Profile
Loyal user
United States
223 Posts

Profile of baggins321
As for the regular Lean, go to this website under "The Professor". Seems Michael Jackson got a patent on the effect in 1993. It actually explains how the gimmick works, well not quite enough to make your own though so you still may wanna go with Malloy for a professional gimmick.

http://smooth-criminal.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Matrix style effect with The Lean (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL