The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best place to buy books on the Internet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
doiron
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of doiron
Every shop makes a mistake now and then. There is a human factor involved. I'm very happy to deal with Hank Lee's. I order quite a bit and have had almost no problems with them over the past 19 years. Any time a little thing has gone wrong they've been quick to fix it.

I also have a lot of respect for Denny & Lee's.
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Quote:
On 2007-03-21 18:33, doiron wrote:
Every shop makes a mistake now and then. There is a human factor involved. I'm very happy to deal with Hank Lee's.

You are one of the lucky Hanklee's customers. I fully agree that shop makes a mistake now and then, I also have experience when other shops made mistake with my order and I can easily contact them by email and clarify it.
My experience with Hanklee is different, Hanklee is very difficult to contact by email while if I contact them by phone from my country the cost can be higher than the order value.
When I ordered, Hanklee fully charged my CC for my order(incl. shipping cost) but they did not send the item, after more than 2 months trying to contact them, finally they reply asking information on my CC(???) I sent them my CC statement proofing that they already charged it. Then they send some of the item, but they CHARGED my CC again for the shipping cost that I have already paid(O my god... what a store), when I send an email asking for clarification, can you guess?? NO REPLY.... and it's been 6 months since I made my 1st (and last order) and they still owe me some money. I gave up....
TO ME HANKLEE IS THE WORST INTERNET STORE AND I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS THE SAME EXPERIENCE.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
PYJ
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of PYJ
Quote:
On 2007-03-22 03:17, magicstudent wrote:

You are one of the lucky Hanklee's customers. I fully agree that shop makes a mistake now and then, I also have experience when other shops made mistake with my order and I can easily contact them by email and clarify it.
My experience with Hanklee is different, Hanklee is very difficult to contact by email while if I contact them by phone from my country the cost can be higher than the order value.
When I ordered, Hanklee fully charged my CC for my order(incl. shipping cost) but they did not send the item, after more than 2 months trying to contact them, finally they reply asking information on my CC(???) I sent them my CC statement proofing that they already charged it. Then they send some of the item, but they CHARGED my CC again for the shipping cost that I have already paid(O my god... what a store), when I send an email asking for clarification, can you guess?? NO REPLY.... and it's been 6 months since I made my 1st (and last order) and they still owe me some money. I gave up....
TO ME HANKLEE IS THE WORST INTERNET STORE AND I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS THE SAME EXPERIENCE.

Jeff

I can't agree more... I get nothing for 2 months but I am Charged. What a crap... Never come across a shop worst than that!

On the other hand, H&R and Magicbookbypost are awesome!! I am happy with their service and prompt reply. I am willing to paid premium for their service and that is what a online store shold be..
Aubrey de Wet
View Profile
New user
South Africa, Johannesburg
100 Posts

Profile of Aubrey de Wet
I live in South Africa (the country that brought you the Heart Transplant, Thawte internet security, Nelson Mandela, Robert Harbin(from Zig-zag girl fame...), Charlize Theron, SAB-Miller and Banachek, and not merely a region of the continent Africa - as many Americans think).

I have never experienced any bad service from Hank Lee. I do almost all my magic shopping through them. And they have the best specials around.
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
293 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
I do almost all my shopping at Hank Lee's and have never really had a significant problem. (Averaging about two orders a month for the last year or so.)

It's true that they don't seem to respond to emails, and their inventory system is not especially up-to-date, but they've always been reliable for me, and very friendly and helpful any time I've called about an issue.

Plus, their sales are quite good, and very frequent.
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Quote:
On 2007-03-26 12:41, Rimbaud wrote:
It's true that they don't seem to respond to emails, and their inventory system is not especially up-to-date, but ...

If an internet store does not good in responding emails then you can not say it is a reliable internet store.... That can be a big problem for international customer with expensive intl phone call.
HANKLEE also charge your CC regardless the item is shipped or not, or for out-of-stock items, to me this is not a reliable internet store.

If you already satisfied with Hanklee, then you should continue shopping. But for new international customer, why take the risk by shopping to a store that has a lot of complaints? If you search in this forum you will find that Hanklee is the most store with complaints.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
Frank Starsini
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
12523 Posts

Profile of Frank Starsini
If you are in the US and don't mind media mail, I can ship books for free.
Just ask.
I usually lose money shipping books overseas due to their weight.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic

Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
doiron
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of doiron
Well - technically - although Hank Lee's is available for internet shopping, they actually have a store that real people can actually visit. I think you have to give some credit to businesses that invest in the old-fashioned, higher overhead way to do business.

Regardless, the only problem I've had with Hank's in almost two decades was one time when a package I ordered got lost in the mail. After waiting a reasonable amount of time I called them and they promptly sent another one to me.

I don't doubt some people have had less than perfect transactions with them - as I mentioned before that happens, but I can't reasonably complain about the service I've received.

I certainly can't say that about two other dealers I've done a fair amount of business with - but I won't name them.

Chacun à son goût.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
2013 Posts

Profile of todsky
Just for the record, here in Canada I've ordered from Hank Lee's a few times in the past, and never had a problem with them.
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
As far as I am concerned, for in-print mentalism materials, this is the place:
http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/

Great prices, good service, knowledgable help and good reviews of the items for sale.

Always ships cheap too.

/Bamba
doiron
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of doiron
I'll certainly add my support to Bamba's comments on Jheff's Marketplace of the Mind. Good prices and very fast service.
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Denny Magic, Hocus Pocus have some of the best selections.
Verricobl
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
256 Posts

Profile of Verricobl
Quote:
On 2007-03-18 00:45, zhwen wrote:

I remember reading why there are a few countries missing from the list in Magic Depot. Let me see if I can find it.

Ah, here it is.
http://www.magic.org/store/shipping.php

Quote:
Where We Ship: The Magic Depot has a global cast of customers, but we do not ship to every country. Some locations, like Nigeria, have record high credit card fraud. We do not ship to any location that has a 60% or higher fraud rate. We only ship to the locations listed on our “Create Account” page. If your country isn’t listed in the drop-down box, we cannot ship you any magic!

Bummer.. If an online store can't ship to a certain country because of credit card fraud, maybe they should just block out credit card payment to that country instead of taking the country off the list. ;D
imagine the possibilities... endless...
aiturran
View Profile
Loyal user
Santiago, Chile
260 Posts

Profile of aiturran
I only bought once from Hanklee and never did again.
I ordered some children's magic material and service was bad.
I was charged with a big extra shipping cost, took too long to arrive.
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1454 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
About Hank Lee few years ago, me too I will not order from them again because the books I received from them were old and really disappointment me a lot. Smile

Andrew Loh

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
paladin1
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of paladin1
Does anyone else think that Hank Lee's is charging too much for shipping?
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Quote:
On 2007-04-24 23:25, paladin1 wrote:
Does anyone else think that Hank Lee's is charging too much for shipping?

He charge me Shipping cost without shipping the items, He still owes me some money.
NEVER BUY FROM HANKLEE!!

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
Schmecal
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
70 Posts

Profile of Schmecal
The Magic Warehouse is a great shop. If you haven't ordered from them, you should give them a try. They have super fast shipping overseas and always have mostly everything in stock.
MANOS FRIAS
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
129 Posts

Profile of MANOS FRIAS
I´ve purchased to various sites, like Tiendamagia, Magicbooksbypost, Magic Wrehouse, World of magic, H&R magic, Kaufman, Genii, e-Bay, Abebooks, Davenports, International Magic, and magician´s sites like S. Beam, Lorayne or M. Powers. I´m happy with all of these places, but if I have to name only one, my option is H&R.
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Quote:
On 2007-04-25 08:28, Schmecal wrote:
The Magic Warehouse is a great shop.

AGREE!! http://www.themagicwarehouse.com is my favourite/best online shop, Howard is always helpful and kind. The shipping cost is also reasonable (also for International order). After 3 years being the customer, never had any problems with this shop. Highly recommended!!

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
369 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
Quote:
On 2007-03-28 02:15, doiron wrote:
Well - technically - although Hank Lee's is available for internet shopping, they actually have a store that real people can actually visit. I think you have to give some credit to businesses that invest in the old-fashioned, higher overhead way to do business.

Regardless, the only problem I've had with Hank's in almost two decades was one time when a package I ordered got lost in the mail. After waiting a reasonable amount of time I called them and they promptly sent another one to me.

I don't doubt some people have had less than perfect transactions with them - as I mentioned before that happens, but I can't reasonably complain about the service I've received.

I certainly can't say that about two other dealers I've done a fair amount of business with - but I won't name them.

Chacun à son goût.

Although Hank Lee's is an actual store he does provide service over the internet. this type of service must be able to provide safe transactions, up to date inventory, and fast-reliable email responses. the email response is the internets form of customer service. From the person to person dealings I have had with hank lee his customer service is horrible so I don't see why his email response customer service would be any different. I choose to purchase my items elswhere.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3372 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Magic Depot rocks. Great customer service - great shipping conditions and frequent special offers for registered customers.

I can fully recommend them.

Andy
Cards never lie
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2427 Posts

Profile of Waters
H and R Magic Bookshop (without a doubt)

http://www.magicbookshop.com

They are the best, have absolutely have the most comprehensive inventory. They actually have read most of them. Richard is a fantastic guy!

They ship immediately by priority mail. They know me by name!
They have been draining my wallet for years (but I love it) Smile

Sean
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
842 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Magic Books by Post is a very long-standing and reputable mail-order company. They have a very large range; many of the books they stock are not readily available elsewhere.
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
608 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks...

H&R Magic has given me some of the best service I have ever had from an internet magic dealer. I ordered a book from them (Roger Klause-In Concert) and it arrived the next day. I live only a few hours away, but still....to receive an order in the afternoon and get it shipped same day...it was great.

Richard Hatch and company have always been competively priced, fair, honest, and just plain nice guys to deal with. They also have a huge inventory and they are EXTREMELY knowelegable on the subject of magic. They are A+++++ in my book.

I would also like to say something about Earth's Largest Magic Shop which is owned by sleight of hand expert David Malek. David is an awesome guy and a very talented magician. His magic shop has a large stock with some hard to find and unique items and he is competively priced. I ordered Steve Forte's book from him and he had it to me very, very quickly. I have also bought some DVD's from him. He also gives very honest reviews of his items. He is also A+++ in my book.
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1454 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Guys,

How about magiclegends.com ?

Are there reliable? I haven't purchase from them before.

Thanks!

Best,
Andrew

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
MJM has been very good to me recently. They list what items are in stock, they give discounts to returning customers, they have fast and responsive customer service, you can find out the weight of each item (for international shipping, that's very important), and when they have the items in stock, they ship very fast. Nothing but good experiences from them so far.
IlDaDe
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of IlDaDe
I think that Madhatter is perfect!
They search products for you, they have great prices, a really good customer service and fast shipping! What else do you need?
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
2013 Posts

Profile of todsky
Check out this extensive selection of used (and new) magic books:

http://www.mickyhades.com/
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
In defense of Hank Lee, they have a great list of products, competitive prices (during sales especially) and service is usually at least decent (although they claim to price match and get truly defensive when you try to get them to really do it). MJM is distinguished by value and service, and Daytona Magic is a good value when they're having sales, as is the Magic Depot, although I find their stock a little less imaginative, especially in books. The big dealer I've had bad luck with is Hocus Pocus. They misadvertised, sent me the wrong item (and broken), were huffy about taking it back, and then rescinded my "membership" price break. While they have great products, I found their service iffy and full of attitude. In books, Lee's stock is as good as Hocus Pocus' and they still usually offer customer service.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best place to buy books on the Internet (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.198142 seconds, requiring 90 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [2] [0] [4] [6] [5] [8] [6] [5]