The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Erasing the serial # on a dollar bill (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
In order to have two one-dollar bills with the SAME serial number, one only needs to get two brand-new dollar bills that are consecutively numbered from one's local bank. Then all that needs to be done is erase the last digit on each bill's serial number. However, I just recently tried doing this on the "newer" design currency, and the last digit did NOT come off totally. Was it me, or are the newly designed bills harder to do this to?? Has anyone else experienced this? Or does one need a special type of eraser? In the past, a regular pencil eraser did the trick very well without a trace.

Thanks for any information!!

Frank
tiptophat
View Profile
Loyal user
Wesley
269 Posts

Profile of tiptophat
May have been the quality of your eraser or type of eraser. I have done it to new bills and have no problem.
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
yea i believe it was the eraser that you used

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Amon-Re
View Profile
New user
Holland
86 Posts

Profile of Amon-Re
Anybody ever tried this on a euro bill? Probably doesn't work Smile
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
On U.S. bills, perhaps a spot of nail polish remover would help.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
I have tried this on a new bill also and have not had the problem.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
shobley
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
81 Posts

Profile of shobley
You may not have to *erase* a number, try changing a 1 to a 4 with 2 strokes of the pen.

Steve
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
This used to be a great method, back when there wasn't a letter following the end of the serial number (I think it was George Anderson's improvement on the old Annemann strategem of changing a 3 and a 6 to an 8). But nowadays I find that erasing the last numerical digit leaves a suspicious gap, don't you?

For a brilliant solution to this problem, I highly recommend checking out "Serial Killer" in Becker's book, Stunners Plus.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
theamazingarthur
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of theamazingarthur
I know this thread is 11 years old, but has anyone come up with a method to do this? I have tried a variety of erasers and still have no luck. Thanx.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
The old-fashioned "typewriter" eraser. Usually gray material. Get a number of consecutive bills and pair up the 3's and 8's and match 'em up.

Jim
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
I find that taking masking tape (the blue painters type) and mask/tape off everything except the number you want to get rid of then sand the number(s) off with a very fine wet or dry sandpaper (use it dry obviously)... the kind used for auto body work or wooden furniture finishing, 800 or higher grit...1000-2000 even. You can find this in Walmart in the auto detailing section, it's usually grey or black colored. This fine sandpaper will not dig into the bill but just removes the inked number. Cut a small piece off abput 2 inches by 1/4 inch and use it that way. Once the number is nothing but a shadow you can clean it up the rest of the way with an eraser. The masking tape can be peeled off easily and used on the next bill.... I do several at a time while I'm at it then throw the tape away. Garcia teaches this same technique on his Fraud DVD.... I don't think he uses masking tape though...can't remember for sure. This number will come off a lot faster than the black mint mark for Fraud as it is raised ink and not flat with the bill. It saves a lot of time compared to using the eraser... that takes forever.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I've always used a typewriter eraser. You should still be able to find them at office supply stores. Use gentle pressure and stay on the actual printed typeface as much as possible.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
theamazingarthur
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of theamazingarthur
The sandpaper is working well. Didn't try the typewrite eraser. Thanx guys.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2014, theamazingarthur wrote:

When you try that typewriter eraser let me know if you arm and hand gets cramps!!!!!!
I tired several methods (erasers, fingernail polish remover, etc....) before trying this and nothing worked as good or as fast as the sandpaper in my opinion.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Taterini, I've never had the cramping problem. The nice thing about the typewriter eraser is that it is rubber with some embedded abrasive and can be sharpened to a fairly fine point. This means that it is easier to get just the ink off without damaging the paper.
jruiz0216
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jruiz0216
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2014, Taterini wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2014, theamazingarthur wrote:

When you try that typewriter eraser let me know if you arm and hand gets cramps!!!!!!
I tired several methods (erasers, fingernail polish remover, etc....) before trying this and nothing worked as good or as fast as the sandpaper in my opinion.

somewhat old post BUT sand paper works excellently. I would start with 400 grit and finish with 600 grit. works amazingly!!!!!
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
A typewriter eraser is basically fine grit mixed with rubber in a convenient cylinder that can be sharpened into a fine point with a pencil sharpener.
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
I would think duplicating the last number exactly would be a bigger problem!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Scraping the bill with an X-acto knife will give you greater precision/control over what gets erased.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Jan Schattling
View Profile
New user
Hamburg, Germany
89 Posts

Profile of Jan Schattling
Sometimes it is hard to believe for me, that one of the biggest countrys in the world has money that can be that easy tampered with.
Probably just another reason to be jealous while thinking of all the possibilties.
"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them." - Lee Jun-fan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Erasing the serial # on a dollar bill (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL