The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Best & Worst L&L Publishing DVD sets (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
It might be interesting to have a discussion on our favourite and least favourite DVD sets from L&L.

L&L remains my favourite producers of DVDs, but lately I feel like I have been getting burned on a few purchases.

Let me start of the discussion.

BEST:

Bill Malone – all 4 DVDS are great. His performance alone is worth watching over and over again.

WORST:

Max Maven – Nothing. A $100, 2-DVD set that was of no use to a casual performer like me.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Harry Allen DVDs, BEST Smile
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
So far I haven't seen any bad DVD's from L&L.
Among the best is Garret Thomas, Bill Malone, Richard Osterlind, Michael Ammar.. just to name a few.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
You know, I loved the performance... however I didn't find the tricks that useful in Tommy Wonder's DVDs. There were a couple I can use but just not that great.

I don't know... Maybe I'm judging too hard.

Fraser
I want to go far...
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I remember back when someone would put out a DVD and it was packed with solid stuff. Then the Easy to Master Card Miracles came out and everyone decided they could no longer release anything other then 3-4 DVD sets. Now each DVD has a few good items and the rest is filler. As a result, I don't buy many DVDs anymore.
Harm
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Harm
Same for me, I also didn't like Nothing from Max Maven.

Best ... Richard Osterlind: Mind Mysteries
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ixnay, at one time you would be absolutely correct. I even recall on the Roth coin videos Roth would be talking to someone off set about the director wanting another version of the same coin move put in and Roth not liking the idea. You would get three tapes amd maybe...maybe... a quarter of the material was worth looking into. Now they are once again coming out with single dvds or two discs and some have excellent material across the board. Sure the bad still is out there but there are some great exceptions. Thank goodness the 'it has to be in three's' days seem over.
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Best: Josh Jay. These DVD's contain great magic, practical and commercial routines that can be used in the real world. They are great to watch too.

Worst: Harry Allen. These are without a doubt the worst DVD's I've EVER seen, and I've seen a lot. Not only is the material poor & completely unoriginal Harry's "comedy" where he insults each audience member is disgraceful IMHO.

Iain.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I have to agree, Josh Jays dvd's are underrated!
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Another vote for the Garrett Thomas dvds - great entertainment value and incredible magic. I do not own too many L&L dvds so I cannot really think of a bad one.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Quote:
On 2007-03-05 10:57, Peo Olsson wrote:
So far I haven't seen any bad DVD's from L&L.
Among the best is Garret Thomas, Bill Malone, Richard Osterlind, Michael Ammar.. just to name a few.

Agreed. So much more to add to Peo's choices including the Joshua Jays, Harry Lorayne's, Bruce Cervon's and Gregory Wilson's.

The worst for me was Max Maven's Nothing.
adamc
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
138 Posts

Profile of adamc
Which L & L video has the most outrageous audience reactions? There's this one guy with curly hair I've seen in a few of them and he always goes pretty crazy. Sometimes I find him more entertaining than the performer!
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
Quote:
On 2007-03-06 11:23, adamc wrote:
Which L & L video has the most outrageous audience reactions? There's this one guy with curly hair I've seen in a few of them and he always goes pretty crazy. Sometimes I find him more entertaining than the performer!

Personaly I find the audience more annoying than entertaining, my favourite are the Osterlind DVDs.
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Quote:
On 2007-03-06 11:23, adamc wrote:

I think you're refering to John. My favorite "John Reaction" is from Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries where he seems to laugh without any reason whatsoever. I think at one point, Osterlind himself even asks him what he finds so funny. Classic stuff!

Alas we've not seen John on any L+L DVD's for ages. Pity! Smile

Iain.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Quote:
On 2007-03-05 11:06, Fraser Orr-Brown wrote:
You know, I loved the performance... however I didn't find the tricks that useful in Tommy Wonder's DVDs. There were a couple I can use but just not that great.

I don't know... Maybe I'm judging too hard.

Fraser

I probably won't perform any of Tommy Wonder's items, but these are by far my favorite of the DVD's from L&L and probably amongst my favorite DVDs in general. I absolutely love watching these DVDs.

I don't think you are judging too hard if you are basing the value of the DVDs on the material you can incorporate into your act. I think you like the DVDs but found them to be for entertainment puposes for you rather than offering material that is practical for you to perform. Nothing wrong with that.
ME
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
I've never heard anyone talk about this set (maybe everybody hates it or maybe nobody bought it) but I think "The Essential Aldo" is my favorite. Tommy Wonder's DVD's are up there too. I think Tommy was pretty close to what real magic would probably look like. I've heard everyone talk about the Bill Malone DVD's but have yet to purchase them. I've seen two performances by Harry Allen (on the free DVD's L&L sends out with orders) and so far, neither has been my cup of tea.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I love all dvds where john is the spectator. its priceless!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
A long time ago I said L&L should just use show girls in the audience. Well..it seems they are using a lot of very pretty girls lately and...the complaints about bad audiences in shoots has dried up.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Quote:
On 2007-03-05 12:32, MagicSanta wrote:
Ixnay, at one time you would be absolutely correct. I even recall on the Roth coin videos Roth would be talking to someone off set about the director wanting another version of the same coin move put in and Roth not liking the idea. You would get three tapes amd maybe...maybe... a quarter of the material was worth looking into. Now they are once again coming out with single dvds or two discs and some have excellent material across the board. Sure the bad still is out there but there are some great exceptions. Thank goodness the 'it has to be in three's' days seem over.

I remember the first VHS I bought was David Roth's Stars of Magic and it cost me $70. I was STOKED when I watched it. Every effect was amazing. But now...yeah. LOTS of filler.
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
Quote:
On 2007-03-06 17:26, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
A long time ago I said L&L should just use show girls in the audience. Well..it seems they are using a lot of very pretty girls lately and...the complts about bad audiences in shoots has dried up.

For Sure!
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Best & Worst L&L Publishing DVD sets (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL