The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hua Hin Dice Mystery (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1026 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Looks like another finely crafted effect from Tony Curtis has arrived in the Hua Hin Dice Mystery. If this is as georgeous as the Siam Card Box, then its sure to be a winner. Martin's Magic web site has already given it perfect marks.

Predict the totals of 2 or 3 dice shaken in the box. Everything is examinable before and after, the dice are completely normal, and the effect is repeatable with different outcomes. Sounds great. Box is hand finished mahogany and sycamore.

My order is in and I will post a review as soon as I receive it.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
Orions belt
4853 Posts

Profile of Roth
Dice are cool.
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
Tony has showed me this up close its a baffling routine and beautifully made...they will be limited in numbers so get one while you can
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
Bangkok Thailand
922 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Hocus Pocus will have the Hua Hin Dice in stock from about Monday 19 march 2007.

http://www.hocus-pocus.com

Tony Curtis
Currently manufacturing the Heirloom Wallet Deluxe exclusively for Alakazam Magic.

www.tonycurtismagic.com
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1026 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Well my Hua Hin Dice Box just arrived this afternoon. Whether your a collector of fine magic apparatus or not, this effect is outstanding!

First, the props themselves are of the highest quality construction I have seen. Like the Siam Card Box, the construction and workmanship on this item is incredible. Beautiful dark mahogany is used with a laminated stripe of light sycamore wood running through the middle. Invisible jewlery box pressure hinges keep the box shut. The inside edges of the box and hinge are covered in velour. The box is perfectly crafted with soft flowing edges and a high gloss lacquer finish. I can't find a visible flaw anywhere. This item is an instant collectible and the workmanship is right up there with the likes of Alan Warner, Chance Wolf, Viking, and Babcock. Of course it comes with 3 quality dice, complete instructions, and a beautifully crafted storage box.

Now the effect. This is not a "sure shot" dice box and the principal is something entirely different. Some of you might have been lucky enough to aquire one of the Richard Gerlitz Oriental Dice Boxes when they came out a few years ago. This effect is similar in method. Its a real fooler!!!

Here's what your spectator will see exactly:

You hand the spectator the open box and 2 dice. The spectator is asked to put the dice into the open box and close the lid. They can either place the dice in or simply roll them into the box in random fashion. They close the lid and set the box down.

You tell the spectator that you will predict the total of 3 dice rolls they make. You secretly write down a prediction and leave it folded on the table in open view. You will not touch the prediction again.

You pick up the box and hand it to the spectator. They shake the box and open it, totaling the number on the 2 die. This is written down. Now you hand them a third dice and ask them to roll all three die into the box, then to total the roll and write the total down. Finally, you close the box and shake it. Then hand the box to the spectator and ask them to shake it. They open the box and total the number of all three dice, adding it to the previous two totals.

Now all three totals are added up. The spectator opens your prediction which has been in full view the whole time: The numbers match perfectly!

I have shown this to several people who have been absolutely stunned and baffled! It really is a great effect.

Points to remember:

Everything is examinable before and after the effect.
There is nothing added or taken away. You don't have to ditch anything.
The prediction is made before the spectator begins shaking and arriving at totals
The prediction is in full view (the spectator can even hold it in their pocket)
No magnets, spirit writers, sure shot, or weighted dice.
Can be instantly repeated with different outcomes.

Again, if you are an avid collector you need to order one now before they are gone. Its just too beautiful an effect to not have on your shelf.

This is simple and direct mentalism. Great stuff.

Rating:

Quality of Props = 10/10
Collectibility = 10/10
Effect = 10/10
Difficulty = Easy
Price = 89.95
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Looks beautiful!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
This is gorgeous...super-easy, TOTALLY examinable (kinda...lol)and endlessly repeatable...liking it a lot!
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
The only negative for me is that the sound of the dice shaking inside the box isn't quite right. It's close, but just that little bit off. I'm not sure how to fix it, and it certainly won't prevent me from performing it, but it's worth mentioning if you're sensitive to that sort of thing.

Curt
S. Lea
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of S. Lea
I'm afraid to say, I totally disagree with the above comments. I couldn't wait for this product to land on my doorstop. But the minute I opened the package my heart sank. One look at the dice and the box and I knew the 'secret'. For the money I paid, I just couldn't believe it. I don't normally criticise magic products but this is a joke. Yes the box is nice but for £40+ I could buy a nicer one.

It's impossible to point out the problems with this product without giving away the 'method' but my 10 year old daughter pointed out the obvious the minute she put the dice into the box. Anyone who handles the box - I.E. shakes it - can immediately feel that something isn't happening. The method use to calculate the totals is also quite well known. My wife, father and friends were all familiar with it and told me exactly how the effect worked. The best thing they could say about the product was that the box was nice.

From the above comments, it seems that people can be found that this effect will work on, having no success with friendly audiences, I'm not sure I prepared to risk in on the paying public.

Quality of Props = 10/10
Collectibility = 10/10
Effect = 1/10
Difficulty = Easy (to work out)
Price = £44.00
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1084 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
The Gerlitz Trick is a "re-invention" of Eli's Dice Mystery. It is a very good trick but the box absolutely must look "big enough" and must sound right when the dice are shaken. The Thayer version of Eli's Dice Mystery matched perfectly sized dice with the box to create the illusion that all was fair.
Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
141 Posts

Profile of Wizard
Quote:
On 2007-05-05 13:02, S. Lea wrote:
I'm afraid to say, I totally disagree with the above comments. I couldn't wait for this product to land on my doorstop. But the minute I opened the package my heart sank. One look at the dice and the box and I knew the 'secret'. For the money I paid, I just couldn't believe it. I don't normally criticise magic products but this is a joke. Yes the box is nice but for £40+ I could buy a nicer one.

It's impossible to point out the problems with this product without giving away the 'method' but my 10 year old daughter pointed out the obvious the minute she put the dice into the box. Anyone who handles the box - I.E. shakes it - can immediately feel that something isn't happening. The method use to calculate the totals is also quite well known. My wife, father and friends were all familiar with it and told me exactly how the effect worked. The best thing they could say about the product was that the box was nice.

From the above comments, it seems that people can be found that this effect will work on, having no success with friendly audiences, I'm not sure I prepared to risk in on the paying public.

Quality of Props = 10/10
Collectibility = 10/10
Effect = 1/10
Price = £44.00

S. Lea
I totally agree with you. You put the words in my mouth!
FINIS CORONAT OPUS
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4567 Posts

Profile of silverking
10/10, and then a 1/10.......there's obviously much more to this prop and effect than we've read about here so far!
It can't be brilliant and suck at the same time!
Derek Dean
View Profile
Regular user
Monterey, CA
125 Posts

Profile of Derek Dean
Quote:
On 2007-05-05 18:05, silverking wrote:
10/10, and then a 1/10.......there's obviously much more to this prop and effect than we've read about here so far!
It can't be brilliant and suck at the same time!

Well.... actually, I have quite a few effects that don't work well when I do them, but are wonderful when done by somebody else, hmmmmm ....... but I would assume from the posts so far that some folks will really like this effect, and probably get good reactions... and some might not be able to use it at all.
Philosophry
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Philosophry
I appreciate what you're saying Derek but having seen the Hua Hin Dice Mystery in action, I think you'd have to be a pretty superb performer to pull it off. The box is lovely but it's clearly impossible that it does what you need to convince people it does to perform the effect. Have a look at the picture, you should be able to see the problem for yourself.

tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1026 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I have shown this to others with great results. No one has figured it out so far. BTW, Martin's Magic gives this 5 stars. I think people are being over critical about this.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
984 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
BTW, Martin's Magic gives this 5 stars.

And he stamped it with the "GG Standard", too..whatever that is Smile

If it's anything like the Gerlitz Oriental Die Box, it's got to be a cool effect...never had any problems with the sound.
rmendez
View Profile
Special user
San Antonio, Texas
908 Posts

Profile of rmendez
This sounds cool but doesn't hold a candle to Collector's Workshop's Loaded Dice by Alan Wakeling in my opinion.
Blessed be,
Richard Mendez

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice" -Joseph Dunninger
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1084 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
This trick and Loaded Dice are like comparing apples to oranges. The effects are completely different.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4567 Posts

Profile of silverking
'Loaded Dice' when combined with the Max Maven routine for the box is the best dice routine with a prop I've ever seen. (actually Maven's routine is for any sure-shot box, but Max suggests the Wakeling box as the desired prop for this effect)

The Maven routine was in a 'Linking Ring' a while back and combines a further principle beyond the sure-shot mechanics to turn the routine into a stand-alone dice routine that plays far bigger than you would think a tiny, beautiful wooden box could play.

I always put my 'Loaded Dice' on the list of effects I'd never get rid of, but it took the Maven routine to push it right up to the top of the list of great dice magic.

I'd still be interested in more reviews on the Hua Hin Dice Mystery. I love dice magic with small props, and have pretty much every other 'small box' prop for dice out there........I'm sure I'll have this one too in the end!
I must say though, although I'm wise to a lot of dice magic props, the gaff in this one is not yet apparent to me just by looking at the box.

Having said that, I DO know the feeling of opening a prop and having your heart sink when you gaze down on a lame method, only apparent after you've parted with your cash and slit open the box!
rmendez
View Profile
Special user
San Antonio, Texas
908 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I would like to read the Max Maven routine. Unfortunately, I missed that issue of the Linking Ring. Can anyone out there copy and send it to me?
Blessed be,
Richard Mendez

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice" -Joseph Dunninger
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
Bangkok Thailand
922 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Thank you for all your comments both positive & negative.

Tony Curtis
Currently manufacturing the Heirloom Wallet Deluxe exclusively for Alakazam Magic.

www.tonycurtismagic.com
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
I own a Hua Hin dice and it has got nothing but great reactions from lay public. The best approach that works for me is to act with the box in a extremely casual fashion...it really baffles people when you play it down. It is so so easy to look at these type of things through the eyes of a magician with knowledge of methods.
The other key point here...give it a couple of years and these will be worth a small fortune. Alan Warner's spirit cabinet sold recently for over $5000. I am more than happy to own this and will be buying another to store away along with my 2 Chiang Mai Block's as an investment.
I also understand that Tony is releasing more collectable items in the very near future.
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
208 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
Quote:
On 2007-05-05 13:02, S. Lea wrote:

Quality of Props = 10/10
Collectibility = 10/10
Effect = 1/10
Price = £44.00

I had a look to this thread, because I read about this effect in the new L&L-folder. The picture here in the magic Café explains the effect.

I share the opinion of Lea: There exist many polite spectators who don't inform you about the weakness of a trick. They say "bravo" and after the magician went away they tell each other, how it was done. Others are not really interessted and wait until the (boring) trick is over. I think it is best to test such an effect with 17-years old boys and girls as spectators who are both good in sports and good in programming a computer (so they can analyze a bad or bad performed trick and tehy will tell you!!). If they believe in magic after seeing it, then it is okay - and if they think it is only a riddle/puzzle then they at least should not be able to solve it. I do always so before I show a new effect to paying spectators!

(Excuse my bad english, I hope my ideas are clear)!

Kind regards!

Angelo

(
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
On the noise issue that some have commented on not being correct.
If the box is held so it is upright on its edge in your hand and shaken this way, the noise is far more convincing than holding it flat and shaking it up and down,
Holding it upright shoots the dice around much more inside.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Hua Hin Dice Mystery (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.284518 seconds, requiring 82 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [2] [8] [2] [2] [9] [1] [1] [9]