The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Justification for packet tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
It's only a trick take the cards out of the wallet period...
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
Has anyone thought about taking a full deck and "magically" changing it into a packet trick? Surely, as magicians this is something we should be able to do. Just a thought.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
hiwese1
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of hiwese1
I do Entourage and really think that it is the strongest packet out there. I like a little 3 card monte also as I just peel these off the top of the deck.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Julie,
Nice idea!
Thanks!
syd_uk
View Profile
New user
London, UK
81 Posts

Profile of syd_uk
I think there are times when some justification might be in order. It depends on the context.

For example, if you're just in a pub or informal atmosphere, it might seem a little odd to bring out a little wallet containing cards. But if it has already been established that you are 'performing magic', then it would not seem out of place.

As has been mentioned, most packet tricks have a built-in reason for needing to be separate. So no explanations are necessary. I think effects with the 4 Aces (Daley, Twisting, Asher etc..) should be taken from a full deck.

Syd
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Any reason will do, you feed it to them and they'll eat it.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
I put the packet in an old beat up card box and explain, "I am buying this deck on the Lay-a-Way plan and I only have 48 payments left and these babies are all mine(what ever it may be depending on the # of cards used in the packet)...And if my 26th payment is on time I get a "New Box Upgrade" it costs extra if I decide to change colors and then I have to refinance, I just hope I have enough equity and my credit is good" and with that I go into the effect...there are many ways to go with this plot including incorporating it into a given routine. I use it for B-Wave, "Good thing you said Queen of Hearts...because I missed 3 payments and those SOB's came a repossessed the other 3 queens...And to be honest I could only make a partial payment on this one and they sent me a cheaper version and the friggin paint don't even match....Bastards!!!"...thats how I do it. This works with either "normal" gaffs or "strange" gaffs where motivation may be lacking.

Later & Out
RJ
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I usually load a second deck with the packet tricks and do a deck switch.
Cards never lie
SSG
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of SSG
I perform Queens out of control as part of my close-up act.

Why have them in their own little binder?

My patter is that when I was a young magician spending all my time with a deck of cards, I developed a crush on the Queen of Hearts. In fact, I used to carry pictures of her everywhere I went. I even kept them in a little wallet like this...
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
Sometimes a spectator will provide clues on how to lead into a packet trick. One friend once named the Queen of Spades when I was doing a trick with a full deck -- and she admitted that the Queen of Spades had personal significance for her. When I performed another trick for her a couple of days later, I reminded her of how she had picked the Queen of Spades, a card that had seemed to suit her. I then asked her, "If you were to name the queen that would be the least obvious queen for me to guess, which of the four queens would that be?" I was then in a perfect position to perform Dream Queen (a trick that's a cousin of Twisted Sisters.)
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
If I'm going to do a packet trick, I usually do it first then pull out a regular deck. I say, "I keep these cards in a wallet. And let me tell you why..." I say that before anyone can say, "Hey, why are you pulling cards out of a wallet?"
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
Quote:
On 2007-03-23 14:22, vinsmagic wrote:
vinny

That's a good point. I had a discussion with one of my magician buddies the other day about how a spectator thinks as opposed to a magician. We specifically talking about color changing decks, and talked about the fact that there is no need to show the backs of all the cards in the deck or do too many "proofs" of a decks color. Just pulling a deck whose top card is red out of red box is enough in it's self. Throughout the routine it's always nice to do subtle proofs of the decks color, but the layman will not suspect a deck to be a different color. This is the same for the a packet trick... they don't always think like we do... I just did a walk around gig today and skipped from full deck tricks to packet tricks back and forth.. I never had one problem with this. Granted, sometimes I did some coin routines in between, but there is no reason to over-explain your reasons.

Most packet tricks (at least the one's I do) already have a built-in reason in their patter. color monte-"cards I got off of a guy who won my money" Tom Allen's Magician's Poker- "I saved my hand from the last game of poker I played"... I team up Ultimate Monte with a nice Himber Wallet and say, "most people carry money in their wallets, I carry three cards.... Cards that enable me to win money"

Other than that I just say, "it's not always necessary to do tricks with a full deck, so I keep extra cards seperate".... or for some, "i'm going to give my deck a break". These work for me but may not work for all. It's nice to be able to pull gimmicked cards out of a deck but when you do restaraunt work or walkaround, carrying around extra decks for the sake of a packet trick is just a hassle. It's nice to have them in a seperate small wallet.

My point is, you probably shouldn't over think this... it's not really a dilemma... You're not there to prove you're Jesus, just to entertain. Unless you are there to prove youre Jesus... in that case maybe card tricks aren't the best way to go about it.
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
nboisen
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of nboisen
Jquackc said it best: "You probably shouldn't over think this."
I can't recall any every being questioned why I'm taking a few cards out from a wallet after putting down a deck. Has anyone ever had that problem? If it ain't broke, don't fix it! If you haven't ever run into the problem, maybe it really doesn't exist.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Quote:
On 2007-03-23 14:22, vinsmagic wrote:
vinny

Exactly! I agree with Vinny. It's only a trick.

Everyone knows we don't have "superhuman" powers or something. They, hopefully, just enjoy being entertained.

Mark.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Interesting to see some of the great ideas in this post so far.
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
I've been performing for over 30 years. Never once has anyone been bothered by my removing a small packet of cards. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I'd be surprised if any "worker" has this problem on a regular basis.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It's really just a matter of your style and what you want to convey to the audience.
Everyone's different in the image they want to create.
While it is about entertaining, avoiding suspicions is just preferred by some.
You may never be openly questioned. That don't mean you're not suspect.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Good point.

Mark.
elmermagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of elmermagic
I usually don't call attention by unnecessary justification; but if ever I do, I usually say, I separated a few cards for ease. Let's proceed to the next trick. = )
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I apologize...
I should have used "transition" instead of justification.
My bad....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Justification for packet tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL