The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Tricks for the one handed? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Zwong,

As a matter of fact I discovered "The 10 Card Poker Deal" just the other day when someone asked me if I wanted to see a card trick. It's certainly easy to do but I agree it needs a very good setup to distract the audience. It may just be my magi mindset, but I figured out what was going on right away. Being polite and a good actor, I pretended to be quite amazed by the trick. Smile

Welcome to the Café BTY! Smile
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
zwong
View Profile
New user
Australia
83 Posts

Profile of zwong
Thanks!

Hrmm... from what you said, it might be a risky trick to perform. I've done it for a couple of people and so far I'm still quite safe.

Ultimately, I think it is one of the tricks that I'll use when I'm caught off guard. (i.e. someone holding me at ransom and making me perform a trick).

I'll be great if you have a video of yourself performing, I would love to see it!
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Zwong,

Don't get me wrong; it's definitely a good trick. Personally, I wouldn’t do it for the same person twice. That said, I doubt the magical layman would figure out what’s going on as fast as a magi might. Then again, I’m sure that many illusions that go over my head are obvious to other magi. My rule of thumb for choosing illusions I’ll perform is that it has to appear “magical" to me when I first see it and of course, can I physically pull it off. When I watch a magician my first priority is to enjoy the performance. If I see the slights or gimmicks I’ll wait until later to analyze whether it was the performer or the props that were at fault. If the mechanics of an illusion are initially obvious to me I’ll cross it off my list.

As far as video of me performing, I’m giving myself a year to rehearse before I make a fool of myself on the Internet.Smile So you’ll have to check back with me come January. Smile

All the best…

Hearttau

zwong
View Profile
New user
Australia
83 Posts

Profile of zwong
Quote:
On 2007-06-04 11:42, Hearttau wrote:

My rule of thumb for choosing illusions I’ll perform is that it has to appear “magical" to me when I first see it

I understand =)

Here's another one that I think might work.
What about Twisted Sisters? The beginning part of the trick needs a certain sleight if I'm not mistaken. The rest of it is just building up and messing around with spectator's mind.
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Zwong,

I passed up on Twisted Sisters because of the possible problems with the sleight used. I appreciate the suggestions, but just so you know, I'm pretty set as to my routine already. Since March when I first posted this thread, I've settled on Levand's "3 Bread Crumbs" and his oil and water routine - "I can't do it any slower". Also, "Dr. Delaney's last trick", Gordon Bean's "The World's wildest joker", and "Entourage". Also, I'm doing a ring and rope routine, and I may pick up those little 3-D bunnies for the kids. I'm also going to throw in Levand's ambitious card routine somewhere. Oh yes - I carry a tt in my pocket. So you see, I'm pretty much settled on what I'm practicing. I really do appreciate your suggestions, but, to save you some time I've been doing my research as you can see. So - enough about me. What's your routine like? What's your favorite trick? Smile

Posted: Jun 5, 2007 7:29pm
Oh, I neglected to mention a one handed matrix routine generously supplied by Vinny Marini! Thanks again Godfather!

zwong
View Profile
New user
Australia
83 Posts

Profile of zwong
Cool! Can't wait to see your routine then!

I'm currently working on a blank deck ACR routine. Getting ideas from Greg Wilson, Aldo Colombini, Darwin Ortiz, Chris Kenner and some others.
I'm really working on my presentation more. Been trying to entertain people rather than impress people, somewhere along the lines of turning a 3 minutes trick to a 10 minutes show.
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Good for you! That's my approach as well. My goal is to give someone a moment of wonder that will stay with him or her. Making it magical is so much more important than simply fooling them with a trick. My patter is also designed to expand each illusion, hopefully making each one a show in itself. That's why I'm taking my time before performing in public. Of course certain family and friends don't count as "public". So far, my version of "The Three Bread Crumbs" and my ring and rope routine have gotten really good responses from my "Inner Circle". I don't feel ready to perform the others yet. My DL is a little apparent, to me at least, my wife says not but I think she's just being really supportive.Smile

closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Only 2 Words come to mind. Rene Lavand.

I had the honor of sessioning with him at TAOM last year. One of, if not "THE" Greatest experiences of my magical life.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Closeupcardist,

I couldn't agree with you more. Smile It's nice to know that Mr. Lavand is still performing.

Ace of $pades
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Ace of $pades
What state do you live in? There is a restaraunt called the elks lodge near me.
TheGreatGalling
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of TheGreatGalling
Any person who makes the best of what they face is a hero to me and an inspiration and you def. fit that bill! If you are interested, I can look into some effects that occur in the spectators hands that might also be helpful. Ted Lesley's The Spectator as Mindreader is a great one and I am sure there are some other great ones.
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Ace,

The Elks are similar to the Teamsters. A private club that does charitable work. In the case of the Elks, they focus on helping disabled children.

Gallina,

I'd love to have a few more illusions that work in the spectator's hand. Gordon Bean's World's Wildest Joker is one that I really like, and of course, the good old multiplying bunnies. Any insight that you may have about any other tricks that work in the spectator's hand would be wonderful. I'll be sure to check out the illusions you mentioned. Thank you very much.

one funny magic boy
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of one funny magic boy
Hey exit 15 right off the top of my head, Im thinking drooping flower,apearing wand,reel with a flower conected to it. when you pull flower away from your lapel it snaps right back .good luck with your show .
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Hearttau:Welcome back to Magic! Smile

I had the supreme pleasure of seeing Rene' Levand perform in person back in the 1990's.Believe me when I say I was humbled and truly amazed by what this man has accomplished.

May I refer you to one of my favorite creators of Magic... Dick Barry.

http://dickbarrymagic.com/

Dick is a very nice guy,and I believe several of his great effects may fit the bill for you.

If I can be of any further help do not hesitate to PM me.

All the best.
Rich

ps.I enjoyed your WONDERFUL website!
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
A few more suggestions:

* Jim Steinmeyer's "Impuzzibilities" and "Further Impuzzibilities" - Not only can many of these be done without the use of hands, but there's even a Cards Across routine that you can perform over the phone!

* Stewart James' "Miraskill" (From Scarne On Card Tricks, among other places)- The deck is shuffled and sorted by the spectator, and you're able to predict the outcome cleanly, without ever touching the deck!
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Thanks Guys,

Wow this thread just keeps going and going! I started this thread way back in March. The generosity of Magic Café members never ceases to amaze me. Just so everyone knows, I have a full routine, both a Gospel magic routine and a secular one. I've already started performing. That's not to say that I won't use any of your suggestions. I have the happy problem of trying to figure out what not to use.

Scott, thanks for the Steinmeyer link. I'm definitely checking out possibilities for those effects.

Rich, LOL, sometimes I forget my website's even there. I spend more time on the Brothers and Sisters of Charity website, which I designed. You may have seen it. There's a link to it on the homepage of my website. However, I'm glad you liked my website. Thank you for letting me know about Dick Barry's effects. I've been looking for a few things to do for kids, and I like his plastic animal effects. I'm already getting some ideas.

Again, thanks very much.

All the best,

Dave

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Tricks for the one handed? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL