The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Houdini to be exhumed? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
QuaxosBlackCatMagic
View Profile
New user
Ohio
1 Post

Profile of QuaxosBlackCatMagic
You're right, Mike...I could just see it...

I think they should let him be...I don't get the point of doing it...

Does it matter how he died...it was just his time at go...no questions asked...
"MINDFREAK! MINDFREAK! MINDFREAK! Are you ready?" --- Criss Angel "Mindfreak"
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
It's amazing how the same week that the most expensive magic show ever produced is announced ( the Criss Angel - Cirque du Soleil extravaganza ), HOUDINI makes the bigger story in the news!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Apropos.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Houdini's grave is walking distance from my house in Queens .. I saw blue plastic tarps covering the fence and all around the grave on sunday ..... more later ....
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2007-03-26 21:24, cardone wrote:
Houdini's grave is walking distance from my house in Queens .. I saw blue plastic tarps covering the fence and all around the grave on sunday ..... more later ....

Cardone,
I wondered about this because I noticed NYC local channels are covering the story via helicopters rather than just sending camera crews up to the site to take the shots...must be the tarps in the way....
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Not an easy access cemetary. The place went bankrupt a long time ago.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
The grave is right beside the street... The gate is usually open I have a picnic at the site about 2 times a year ...It is a great place to get inspiration , ideas, and think about the meaning of life......
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Are they really gonna open that milk can after all these years?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
If they open the milk can, they might find
Hardeen instead.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I was speaking to Houdini last night and he told me that this is all bunk. He does appreciate the attention though.

But...where was the mysterious Dr. Crandon and his 'serum' when Anna Nicole Smith died? That's what I want to know. Anna has yet to get back to me on this.

Rev. T.L. Robbins
Founder & Pastor, Church of the Parted Veil
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Odd...I spoke to Margery last night and Walter sang,

"Oh Houdini won't talk no more, no more
He ain't goin' talk no more
Dig if you must, to bathe in his dust but
Houdini won't talk no more."

A much later lyric in the nearly endless song was reported by numerous sitters to be about "Houdini only talking to God" while many others clearly heard instead "Houdini only talking to Todd".
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Here is an article from England. One slight error, Ruth is the neice not sister. This brings up the ownership of the grave sites that would have gone to Bess as his wife, and continue to the iwfe's side of the family.

houdini's family

Dick Brooks & Dorothy Dietrich
Houdini Tour & Magic Show
Houdini Museum
Haunted, Mind Mysteries & THE Beyond!
Scranton PA
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
The following quote comes from teh TIME story-

"I'm sorry that Bess' side of the family feels that way, because this is not a publicity stunt in any shape or form," said Larry Sloman, co-author of "The Secret Life of Houdini." "This is not something frivolous. This is a serious scientific study."

The drawback here, of course, is this "serious scientific study" is taking place in front of a massive mock-up of the Sloman / Kalush book which has quite a few conjectures and darned few proofs.
This month's review of the book in GENII pretty much hits the nail right on the head as far as the murder theory goes.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Relatives of Houdini's widow may block magician's exhumation

Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers and wire reports

NEW YORK — The family of Harry Houdini's widow hopes to stop plans for exhuming the escape artist's remains, saying they are worried a disinterment to determine if he was murdered smacked of sensationalism.

"It is our firm belief that Bess Houdini would never approve of this," said a statement from her grandnephews, John and Jeffrey Blood. "The family believes this is likely being done to promote sales of a recent book on Harry Houdini suggesting he may have been murdered."

But a spokesman for Houdini's great-nephew, who supports the exhumation, and one of the new biography's authors were quick Tuesday to rebut the Bloods' suggestion.

"I'm sorry that Bess' side of the family feels that way, because this is not a publicity stunt in any shape or form," said Larry Sloman, co-author of "The Secret Life of Houdini." "This is not something frivolous. This is a serious scientific study."

Houdini, whose real name was Ehrich Weiss, was born in Budapest, Hungary, but considered Appleton his hometown.

Last week, Houdini's great-nephew George Hardeen announced his backing of an exhumation to determine if his world-renowned relative was poisoned. The biography suggested Houdini was possibly targeted because of his relentless public ridicule of the Spiritualists, a group that claimed it could contact the dead.

Houdini died on Halloween 1926 at a Detroit hospital, and is buried at a cemetery in the Queens borough of New York. Although no autopsy was ever conducted, his death certificate cited peritonitis caused by a ruptured appendix as the cause of death. Prior to his sudden passing at age 52, Houdini received several death threats from people within the Spiritualist movement, recounted the biography, published in October 2006.

Hardeen, after reading the book, became convinced an exhumation was needed to resolve the mystery of Houdini's death. A team of top forensic investigators, including Prof. James Starrs and former New York City medical examiner Dr. Michael Baden, agreed to join the investigation on a pro bono basis.

Bruce Bobbins, spokesman for the Hardeen side of the family, said the Blood relatives — in an odd twist of phrase — "are not blood relatives of Harry Houdini and therefore have no legal standing on the issue."

Bobbins said the Hardeen contingent was willing to meet with the Bloods to discuss any concerns. But, he added, "We are still committed to moving forward in an expedient manner with the exhumation process."

The Bloods — their mother, Marie, was Bess Houdini's niece — said they were unaware of the plans for exhumation until they read an Associated Press article.

They e-mailed Joseph Tacopina, an attorney for the Hardeens, to express their opposition to the exhumation and said they were considering legal action.

"We are adamant against it," said Jeff Blood, who lives in upstate New York. "There's no need to have his body exhumed."

According to the Outagamie Historical Society, ship’s logs indicate that Houdini’s family moved to Appleton when he was a toddler. The family came to America because of a job opportunity for Houdini’s father, Rabbi Mayer Samuel Weiss, who became Appleton’s first rabbi.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ler's throw another iron in the fire. The only known surviing letters between Houdini and his mother are in a pillow under his head? Think there is any interest in looking at those letters?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Kind of ghoulish to me.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-03-30 12:20, Kevin Connolly wrote:
Kind of ghoulish to me.

Yeah I thought his whole "mommy dearest" thing was creepy.

Maybe in there we can find his true feelings. And maybe some notes about his wife too.

And... how about some spirit messages and predictions.

Maybe some strange bone joints?

It would be very nice if when x-rayed they find he had his spine replaced disc by disc with rubber or similar.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

And MAYBE it ain't going to happen.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Come on folks, you know you really want to find him in there with signs of a struggle and some last minute notes scribbled on the envelopes by a burnt match... as he was actually buried alive.

Let's make this into a Poe or Lovecraft story.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Houdini to be exhumed? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL