The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Bender 2.0 (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..23..28..33..38..41~42~43 [Next]
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
I've been playing around with the QB2 for about 7 months now. It took me a long time to find a solid presentation, but I'm really happy with it now. It's been a real reputation maker for me. I didn't even realize Jon finally put the DVD out!

Tonight, this lady swore she saw the quarter bend/melt in my fingers. I can't wait to see what is on the DVD.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
jamesmagic
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of jamesmagic
Would we all agree this effect is stronger with a borrowed coin? If so, how do you deal with the fact that you're ruining a stranger's hard earned change? In this economy I could see this actually being an issue. Obviously you could tell them up front that they won't be getting their coin back or you'll be ruining it. But that seems to take away from the surprise. You could also reimburse each person with a coin. But aside from pennies (seems from the demo, quarters are ideal) that would get expensive, Particularly after parting ways with $500 to get this in the first place.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I've done coin bends for a awhile now (using the prebend method of course) and I always borrow the coin. Even though you've bent their coin they are not offended nor upset with that fact. Not once has a spectator asked for the coin to be bent back for use, when they ask if you can bend the coin back, they literally just want to see if you're able to do that with the coin (basically they want to see the effect again). So you really have no worries there James. Here's a suggestion for those that are interested in the QB 2, go out, learn a coin bend using another method of your choice, perform that for awhile so that you get use to coin bending. If after that you still don't find real value with the QB 2, then it's simply just not for you and you should just move on with your life to bigger and better things.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-01-03 00:37, kissdadookie wrote:
I can GUARANTEE you that the QB 2 will get a HECK OF A LOT more use than the Triple Threat

Wow, okay. Whatever you say. Just because Quantum Bender 2.0 is more 'impromptu' looking doesn't mean I won't be getting a lot of use out of Triple Threat. On 3CM, you bought a knock off and sold a knock off.

Quote:
On 2009-01-03 00:34, sleightofhand1971 wrote:
Then again....

You might drink free from here on out when you perform this:)

There's something to think about! I also picked up Diamond Jim Tyler's Bamboozlers so I am well on my way! haha.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-01-03 07:21, jamesmagic wrote:
You could also reimburse each person with a coin. But aside from pennies (seems from the demo, quarters are ideal) that would get expensive, Particularly after parting ways with $500 to get this in the first place.

You can take the bent quarters home and hammer them back to normal, so you'll be out nothing but instead have done some astonishing magic!
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Curious as to what you respond to "O.K. wiseguy, now bend it back!"
Magic is a vanishing art.
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver- Canada
960 Posts

Profile of A.G.
"If I bent it back, you wouldn't have a story to tell....at least now you will some proof that this really happened, to you."

Although I have only been asked this a couple of times, it seems to be the perfect answer.. In both cases, they were not challenging me, they just wanted to see what I was going to say. It becomes their story and experience, not yours.

I think QB is a fantastic tool, and If you want to do a real time bend, this is the best there is.

Of course if you are not comfortable using a real time bend, "Psyche" is very strong, and so easy to do.

I have been told that many people that have QB2 still in fact use some of the routine and ideas that "Psyche" offers.

The more tools you have all the better.

all the Best,
Andrew Gerard
Well then...
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
As to edh's comment about "Hey wiseguy, bend it back," firstly I have yet encountered anybody with such a smart alec tone asking for the coin to be bent back, so thank goodness for that. Secondly, I will be honest and tell you that I don't have a solution for that, I would just move on to the next effect. Luckily the effect is so strong that it doesn't really matter because they still want to keep that coin in the end, they will show it off to others, and if you meet that person again days, weeks, months, or years later, they will remember you as the person who had mentally bent their coin. This is how strong the coin bend plot is.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I've been doing magic/mentalism for over 40 years and have thousands of dollars worth of items I do not use. It is rear to purchase something that instantly becomes part of my repetoir. The QB2 is now the item I usually use to close my seemingly impromptu performances and it is one of my most talked about items. I also use it as a prelude to my parlor metal bending routine.

I value an effect by how strong and entertaining it is and how often I will use it. Here is an extremely powerfull effect that can be performed stand up, surrounded and under virtually all conditions. It is done with a borrowed object without preparation and leaves the spectator with a memory of the moment. What more could you ask? If I figure the cost per performance this item is actually very inexpensive. I use it all the time.

My only caveat is that this is not for everyone and should be used by experienced performers. In the wrong hands this effect becomes a "trick" rather than a truly incredible experience.

Steve
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I absolutely agree with Steve Suss. The QB 2 is one of those rare magical items which is as close to perfection for its intended use and effect. The brilliance of it is lost when used by the less experienced performers out there because after all, this is a means to an end for the coin bend but if you do not perform the coin bend already (and regularly) then its nuance and value is lost. A easy example would be if one was to give another a set of the best coin gaffs available but the person receiving the gaffs has very little to no experience with coin magic, all those gaffs are basically wasted.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
In all of the times I've used Q.B.2 I've always received the good 'ol "WTF" reaction!
Its in my jacket pocket all the time ready to go. The only thing that scares the living hell out of me is the fear of losing it! I'm constantly checking my pocket to make sure it's still there! I feels as though I'm casually walking around with a 10 karat diamond loosely in my pocket! lol
Yes, it's expensive but the reactions are well worth it and it looks as though it will last a lifetime. If you don't lose it that is! Smile

~gaffed~
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-01-03 14:50, itsmagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-03 07:21, jamesmagic wrote:
You could also reimburse each person with a coin. But aside from pennies (seems from the demo, quarters are ideal) that would get expensive, Particularly after parting ways with $500 to get this in the first place.

You can take the bent quarters home and hammer them back to normal, so you'll be out nothing but instead have done some astonishing magic!

Yuppers, you certainly can. They work fine in vending machine afterwards.

QB2 rules the day.

Candin
http://www.MagicSA.com
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
This effect is so much fun to perform. It truly is a nice piece of impromptu magic with someone's borrowed coin. They are left with a remarkable magical souvenir.
targetintellect
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of targetintellect
Quote:
On 2009-01-03 20:59, edh wrote:

I use QB2 on a regular basis tablehopping at my restaurant gig. Yes, you do get asked "can you bend it back?" More often you hear "boy, I can't use this in a vending (or slot) machine". I think both these comments, blurted out too early can diminish that moment of awe by placing all the attention on the "clever" person saying it.

In my patter I beat them to the punch: "You bent the coin. I used to bend it back, but then nobody would believe the person that it happened; so don't use it in a vending machine, but do keep it always as your lucky coin and proof that YOU did something amazing."

For those of you who do fraud, this line, with a bit of modification, works well to keep the focus on the amazing effect that just happened.

I hope this helps.

- Frank
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:

I also get that quite a bit along with "Fraud".
Depending upon the crowd I simply wink and say; "I only go one way!" It usually gets a laugh and then I simply move on. There are some tricks where something is done that one would then think it can be reversed and they state so. Just think ahead and think of some clever response for those situations. Sometimes just a simple response as; "I'm surprised I even was able to do that so I'm not going to push it!" will suffice or something on that order will do fine. Be creative and anticipate those situations. I always offer another quarter or dollar (Fraud) but most refuse and simply keep it to show others.

~gaffed~
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

[quote]On 2009-01-18 19:12, targetintellect wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps we should work on a method to bend it back...instead of copping out?
Douglas Lippert
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
It's not copping out. If you do coin bends regularly you would understand that people who ask you to bend it back usually just wants to catch you doing something sneaky. Go and learn a coin bend that you are comfortable with and perform it regularly Doug, or else you won't understand what the strength and weaknesses of coin bend routines are (unless you're doing a really bad or a really mediocre coin bend routine, obviously those are not all that great). Learn one, perform it regularly for awhile, then come back and give you opinion on the coin bend plot.

Another thing to keep in mind, it's better to learn one that you will be comfortable with and try different presentations for it, try it as if you were performing a magic trick, note the reactions, then try it with a more esoteric/mentalism approach and not the reactions with that approach. Also keep in mind when you try the esoteric/mentalism approach, don't undermine it by doing your standard magic tricks before it, it absolutely destroys the flow and will negatively impact the coin bend. Also don't perform it for friends, perform for people who you don't really know that well (this applies pretty much for the esoteric/mentalism approach).

You'll also notice that the esoteric/mentalism approach will be the path of least resistance for your audience (when performed and framed properly before you even go into it), in other words, they will more or less NOT ask to see you bend it back. When folks ask to bend it back, it happens almost always when the coin bend is presented as a magic trick.

Go check out some mentalist shows, unless the show is REALLY bad, you'll see that the audience pretty much believes what's going on is real and will usually not give the performer a hard time.

Again, this is all knowledge that one would acquire by performing regularly and not just for friends and family. It's called experience and it can be gained regardless if you're a worker or have a non-magic day job. I'm just hanging on the edge of my seat before Mr. ?????? gets this QB 2.0 thread removed as well Smile Ha ha ha. J/k.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
There is a saying from the bible, if I'm not mistaken, that a prophet is never accepted by his own people. This also holds true when performing magic for friends.
They of course feel more familiar with you and feel free to push the envelope as it were and 'question' what you just did which normally does not occur when performing for strangers.

I always perform for my friends as I'm always asked to do so but it does indeed at times have some draw backs. Most just love to sit back and enjoy but there are the occasional ones who question, push, etc. simply because of their familiarity with you and in some ways feel they have the right to do so. They at times can be your hardest audience and in some ways this is good practice.

Quote:
DVLKCC wrote: Perhaps we should work on a method to bend it back...instead of copping out?

Copping out! Wow....ya really lost me there on that one! Where is the cop out? You just did something that for all practical reasons is impossible! Then again, that is what all magic entails. Does that mean that if a spectator's chosen and signed card is found to be folded up in your shoe that you should then be able to "unfold" it and make it reappear back in the deck with no creases in it? Does that mean that a magician should be able to reverse every trick he or she performs and is not able to do so that it is simply a cop out?! If that were the case I think we would all have to pack up our bag of collective goodies and not bother with magic anymore! Copping out??!!!

~gaffed~
~Yogi Berra~

Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

The comment was more of a joke really. It would be cool to 'melt' a quarter back into its original shape though.
Douglas Lippert
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2009-01-23 02:22, DVLKCC wrote:
The comment was more of a joke really. It would be cool to 'melt' a quarter back into its original shape though.

Certainly can't deny that but I seriously doubt that will ever come about. Then again, when it comes to magic never say never!

~gaffed~ Smile
~Yogi Berra~

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Bender 2.0 (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..23..28..33..38..41~42~43 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL