The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Storytelling Tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
plinius
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of plinius
I know "Sam the bellhop". Any other similar good trick ?
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
I am unclear on exactly what you mean by "similar" trick. Do you mean an entire deck story or just good stories that involve playing cards?

In this thread I have mentioned my own The Legend of Southside Johnny. There is also The Adventures of Diamond Jack (which is associated with Eugene Burger, but I don't know who developed it). There is who killed Lilly Longlegs - by Simon Lovell. There is The Story of Stan & Edith (again I don't know who developed it, but it is associated with both Dan Garrett and Doc Eason). There is also a book by Ariel Frailich called Card Stories.

This is what comes to me off the top of my head. I hope it helps.

Paul
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
I love "Sam the Bellhop" AND Paul's "The Legend of Southside Johnny".

I got a chance to learn the latter and it's great. I have not taken it to a paying crowd yet but I know it will play very well as a routine that is well constructed and delivered correctly like these can floor a crowd and be a very entertaining piece.

I do these routines at tables in the summer on boats cruising on the rivers in the Twin Cities (drinking, laughing etc - but NOT the Vikings parties, hehe) with people gathered casually around during a few sets. They love 'em! I can't wait to try yours out on them Paul!
plinius
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of plinius
Quote:

This is what comes to me off the top of my head. I hope it helps.

yes, thanks! it helps
I have just learned "Sam" and I like this kind of triks.
The only problem is with translation in my language, italian: there are words that have a "sense double" in english making the story fun. In italian it is lost. Also the game of Poker is not very popular here, so the end of "Sam" routine is not so funny because people don't know the rules .
Also the "bellhop" figure doesn't exist here in Italy and "tiping" often sounds offensive.
SnapCrimp
View Profile
New user
Konawa, Oklahoma
8 Posts

Profile of SnapCrimp
Simon Lovell teaches his story game on one of his DVD's.
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
Thanks, Nathan for the kind comments on the board about The Legend of Southside Johnny.

Paul
stepseven
View Profile
New user
Staffs, UK
54 Posts

Profile of stepseven
Lilly longlegs appears in the book "Simon Says" and on the DVD set "Madness Behind the Methods".

David Regal has "After Hours" on Regal Stands Erect/The Stand-Up Magic of David Regal -- part of his "Premise, Power, & Participation" DVD Set.

Use the suggestions in the short term but try and develop your own storyline!
+ev
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Okay, there were four burglars and...
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Michael Ammar does Eric Mead's "A NIGHT AT THE IMPROV" on Easy to Master Card Miracles Volume 1. (which I didn't care for. just my opinion).

Nathan mentioned Paul's "Legend of South Side Johnny" which is a good one.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Guy Hollingworth's Once Upon A Time is pretty good. You get 3 stories which everyone can relate to.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
[/quote]
The only problem is with translation in my language, italian: there are words that have a "sense double" in english making the story fun. In italian it is lost. Also the game of Poker is not very popular here, so the end of "Sam" routine is not so funny because people don't know the rules .
Also the "bellhop" figure doesn't exist here in Italy and "tiping" often sounds offensive.
[/quote]

Blimey...so why did you bother learning it? SOunds like it would be no fun for an Italian audience!

I find "Sam" too American for a British audience. My friend, the estimable British magician Max Somerset, worked up his own version about Jeeves the butler which plays great when he does it. I quite like Night At the Improv...but one day I'll invent my own (which will no doubt borrow heavily from its forebears)
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Plinius - You might be interested in my "A Chip and a Chair" routine. It can be found at:

http://www.underground-collective.com/ef......ct_id=13

You might also want to see the threads at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4605012

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4604793

Enjoy. - Scott Grossberg
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Doc Eason's Kate, Stan and Edith.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Easy one, Little Bunny's Card Trick?
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 21:50, churken wrote:
Thanks, Nathan for the kind comments on the board about The Legend of Southside Johnny.

Paul

Hi, Is there any place I can find out more about your Legend of Southside Johnny.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
For me.. this is the greatest version of Sam the Bellhop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Ky00FNsaU

DG´s version is hilarious!!
juggernought
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of juggernought
Juan Tamariz has created stories for the Tamariz stack which can be found in Mnemonica.
ricardo carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of ricardo carpenter
Look at this post here: "Aronson - Story Deck Harmony".
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I have been playing with developing a story routine for a stack of my own.

I have been having a lot of fun just going through shuffled decks ala Daniel Garcia (though I am sure he's not the first to improvise this type of routine.)

It is surprisingly easy, especially if you have a few set gags for certain cards when they pop up.

It is a worthwhile exercise. I don't necessarily advocate using it in performance, partially out of respect for Danny, and partially because it isn't always going to go well, lol, especially when just starting.

But, it is a fun exercise. Any who, doing it with my stack deck, going in not having a set script cab help find story potential within your stack I have found.

Perhaps that is worth a thread of it's own, coming up with your own story routines. Maybe there already is a thread. Well, I'm off to search.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2007-04-29 08:13, ross welford wrote:

[/quote]

Blimey...so why did you bother learning it? SOunds like it would be no fun for an Italian audience!

I find "Sam" too American for a British audience. My friend, the estimable British magician Max Somerset, worked up his own version about Jeeves the butler which plays great when he does it. I quite like Night At the Improv...but one day I'll invent my own (which will no doubt borrow heavily from its forebears)
[/quote]

As mentioned Juan has some story routines in his book which would likely be a bit more transferable to other languages.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Storytelling Tricks? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL